Sugar

Options
I keep going over my sugar intake and it's driving me batty! I'm allowed 24 grams of sugar a day and it seems virtually impossiable (sp?). Has anyone else dealt with this too? Any suggestions? I know it seems obvious, "Don't eat that much sugar", but I watch it like a hawk and know matter what I go over it...:sad:

Replies

• hardybelle83
    Options
    What are the sources of your sugar?
    Is it mostly from fruit, or is it from processed type foods?
  • katieannpr
    Options
    I was just thinking the same thing! My sugars come from fruit and I can't cut that out. I don't know what else to do.
  • bmnelson024
    bmnelson024 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think it is impossible... I don't know where they get that number
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I drink V8 low sodium, whole grain bread for breakfast or lunch, etc. I eat pretty darn healthy on a consistant basis. I'm starting to think that the number is unrealistic too. I suppose I won't worry about it since it's not "bad" sugar...
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Unless your sugar levels are of great concern, like if your family has a history of diabetes, then I wouldn't stress over it too much. Stress will do you in every time. I monitor my carbs, fat, protein, fiber, and cholesterol. If I want to go see how much sugar or sodium I had in a day, I change the settings and the food diary automatically changes. Then I change it right back. Hope this helped!
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    I always thought that 100% juice was healthy -- but apparently it's very high in sugar. I recently switched to Old Orchard Healthy Balance juices -- WAY less sugar and fewer calories.

Simply Orange (8 oz.): 110 calories, 22g sugar
    Healthy Balance Cranberry-Pomegranate (8 oz.): 28 calories, 6g sugar
  • jenrobyoung
    Options
    I would be careful about juices like V8 they lable them as helthy but they don't always have the best stuff for you in them. I would realy on more natural vegies and friuts and less from the juice.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit too...and my sugar is way high. Even just from orange juice which I love each morning, which I swear helps to me to prevent colds and such because I am rarely sick.

I have learned to watch and be aware of that category, but not to dwell on it. If I were diabetic or had a need to watch, then it would be more signifcant to me.
  • Earthhorse
    Earthhorse Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. If it is natural sugar I wouldn't worry. If it was in treats, teas or coffees then you could limit the amount you add in.
    Fruit sugar to me doesn't count ;)
  • LucieBear
    LucieBear Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing, I had the same concern and except for two teaspoon in my coffee most of my sugars are from fresh fruit. I will not worry about it as much anymore.
  • pouringraina
    pouringraina Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I do have a few processed food in my diet, like slimfast shakes and protein bars. These seem to bring in a lot of sugar. But I am trying not to look at sugar too much because with everything I eat, it's healthy. Don't stress too much.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    its best to have no more than 35gr
    it seems hard at first but then its easy
    Change it and see if dats easier for you
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Im always at around 100 sugars a day but it all comes from whole grains and fruits and veggies. If its not the processed or added sugars I wouldnt worry to much. I still lose around a pound a week on that much sugar a day. But I do balance it out with lots of good carbs to slow the process down and lots of fiber. Carb intake daily is sometimes close to 300 and my fiber is around 50 daily. That keeps me balanced and it works for me. I do Leslie Sansone on a daily basis and do at least 3 miles so that does up all my stuff based on it. I really wouldnt worry to much unless your diabetic or your not losing weight. No worries :) Your doing great! :)
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I have tried staying under my sugar but I am not giving up my fruit! I am always over like 15 to 20 grams. I was reading an article fruit sugar doesn't count its the processed sugars.