Exercise DVD's

Options
Hi all, I'm trying to lose some weight but don't find it so easy to get out and do exercise due to being with my young son most of the time so I'm looking for things to do in the house.

Can anyone recommend any good exercise dvd's? I need something that is going to keep my attention - I have a Davina dvd but don't currently use it. I'd like something that's fun and possibly involving dancing.

Any recommendations would be great.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I like jillian michaels,bob harper and jackie warner. I bought a piloxing dvd and that one was fun but effective I can feel it today lol. I have a few other kinds too. I have 2- 90 day systems one is supreme 90day system which is like p90x just not as brutal and not as expensive and the other is the befit in 90 workout system which is a lot of fun as well and a decent price. Bob harper workouts are a challenge though. I have seen results with all of them but the Bob harper ones for me showed quicker results than the 90 day ones.get some light hand weights and an exercise ball and you can get a good workout.

oh not to mention on youtube there is fitnessblender (or you can go to fitnessblender.com they have plans you can follow too for a fee)and blogilates . They offer free workouts and they are fun. I would highly recommend the 2 of those.
  • strawberry1969
    strawberry1969 Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    I would recommend zumba as a fun and enjoyable way to lose weight! I've used the DVDs and the Wii game and it helped me a lot to lose my weight (I've lost over 50lbs)
  • leeds230
    leeds230 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks both. I've heard of Jillian Michaels and Zumba is very tempting for me. I don't really have any friends so I'd have to build up some confidence to go to a Zumba class on my own, which is not easy for me. I'd thought of getting Zumba at home but some of the kits I've found seem quite expensive. We don't have a Wii here but do have an Xbox One.

Thanks though, I'll have a look into your suggestions xx
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    you can always check youtube and see if they have any zumba videos on there. they even have some videos of the trainers instructing a class which you could follow and you would have a class at home :) jillian has many many dvds.also they have dance workout dvds you can try to which a lot of them can be fun,.what I do is if I see a dvd I'm interested in I go on youtube and see if I can find a preview of the video,if I do find one I watch it to see if its something I would want to do and if so then I will buy it.

jillian does have some videos on youtube as well. as for zumba kits. look on craigslist or if you are on facebook see if your area has yard sale(or sale sites) and post that you are looking for these things cheap or free.check thrift stores,etc. I bought a whole home gym last year from a person who replied to my ad for $50(they were selling it). you can also do this with weights or anything else you want or need for at home workouts.This is how I acquired most of my weights,weight bars,etc
  • skyy0913
    skyy0913 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For a fun & effective exercise DVD I would recommend Turbo Jam. It is pretty cheap on the beachbody site or you can find it used on Amazon or Ebay since it is an older one. It is dancy and fun in my opinion.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    its currently unavailable on amazon :(
    For a fun & effective exercise DVD I would recommend Turbo Jam. It is pretty cheap on the beachbody site or you can find it used on Amazon or Ebay since it is an older one. It is dancy and fun in my opinion.
  • kahulalui
    Options
    I was going to say definitely check out Amazon. The reviews are really helpful to read because, you will see which is better for you.

I use to love Crunch Fitness. You can find some old ones on Youtube to try before you buy. I have not tried any of the newer ones. Kathy Smith Kickboxing and her Personal Trainer was good. I like anything by the Firm. I agree with Jililan Michaels as well.

When you are up to it Bellydance burns like Zumba too. Sometimes they are offered in the same location. Or, you can find some DVD's online. My favorites are Temple of Jehan's Bellydance Workout.

Good luck!
  • ghouliejulie85
    ghouliejulie85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    In the past I've done 30 Day Shred & Body Revolution both by Jillian Michaels and have lost weight in both not sure on any dance workouts. I will be starting TurboFire tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you try youtube before buying anything. There are lots and lots of exercise videos available there, including some "Week 1" Jillian Michaels stuff (so you can try it before buying the DVD). I wouldn't call her stuff fun or dancy, though.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've been doing "Hip Hop Abs" for a few weeks now. I really enjoy it, and it seems to be a good workout for me. I like Shaun T's style. The set comes with several workouts, a calendar, some diet info.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Any of the bob harper dvds will definitely work.most are an 1hr long with an additional shorter workout but let me tell you if his videos dont get you in shape nothing will .They are a LOT harder than most of Jillians workouts,at least it seems that way to me.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    For dance-type cardio workouts, try Chalene Johnson's Turbo Jam/Turbo Fire workouts. They're so much fun! (I love this 20 minute video )

I definitely agree that you should try to find samples online before committing to a dvd set since everyone has different tastes. (I own some Jillian Michaels DVDs but I never use them because I'm not a huge fan of her workouts.)

For free online workouts, check out the BeFit channel on Youtube or fitnessblender.com
  • Betta2
    Betta2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Collage Video http://www.collagevideo.com/ lets you take a look at a short clip of a dvd you might be interested in (that they carry---you do not have to buy from them). You can choose by instructor, workout type, goals, etc. I have used it for years for pre-purchase screening. They don't have everything, but there is a lot of good info on their site as well as reviews..
  • HauteHauteMami
    HauteHauteMami Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 10 to a size 4 using DVD's . . . My main workout is Les Mills Pump and I get my cardio in with TurboFire, Hip Hop ABs, Les Mills Step, and Piyo . . . I have 4 boys and going to the gym is just not in my day . . . I just push play 5 days a week and I feel that this was the best solution for me!