Is salad/pasta from the Morrisons salad/pasta bar really a s

Options
Whenever I eat pasta or salad I always automatically think it's better than anything else. How much calories is in it, with all the mayo & things. I'd like to know how much approx a medium box contains. It's quite scary to think I'm putting something my mouth out knowing how many cals are in them. I've always seen it as a 'safe' food though just because it's not junk food.

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Look it up in the MFP database, or go to Morrison's website and see if they have nutrition info on their products. I'm going to assume that they're not the best thing to eat.
  • Redkoala
    Redkoala Posts: 146
    Options
    The pasta is nice, i tend to stay away from the ones with mayo in them. Usally have it with the beetroot and salad.
  • slummymummy
    slummymummy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's still healthier than a fish and chip lunch, but the dressings and sauces they use can be horrendously high in calories, fat and salt. Try going for options without dressings then adding your own when you get home - Kraft do a couple of 4 cal dressings (I think French and Italian Vinaigarette) If you're eating on the run, try to stick to options dressed in vinaigarette rather than creamy looking sauces. You could also ask whoever's behind the counter - they should either know, or have a breakdown of ingredients for food allergy sufferers etc. Also, be aware that pasta is actually relatively high in calories (or it is in the portions I used to serve prior to MFP!) wholewheat pasta is the best option as it will sustain you for far longer. Morrisons usually have fruit salads on their cart, so how about that as an option? Just check it's not bathed in syrup! I know exactly how you feel - I've always thought if it's Green, it's healthy, but MFP has shown me that's not always the case! Good luck!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I answered this, but my post is gone. Weird.

Pasta is high in calories, so for you trying to gain weight, that would be a good thing. But it's not very high in other nutrients, so make sure you're eating other things besides pasta through the day.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mayonnaise as a rule - it makes me sick - but I would never think anything with mayonnaise in it is a "safe" food.
  • Carolinea20050
    Options
    You are much better off buying plain, fresh and raw ingredients for your salad and controlling the amount of fat content by adding a low fat dressing yourself. I like Tesco Light Choices Honey and Mustard Dressing. Good luck!
  • pinecone
    pinecone Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    all foods are safe. thinking of any food as dangerous is dodgy.. having said that, if you go for something with loads of mayo, cheese or oil it will contain more calories.