Exercises to do on the Smith Machine

Options
I recently started using the Smith Machine at my gym to bench press,overhead shoulder press, and upright row. Anyone have any other suggestions to add in? Or dumbbell exercises? Right now I am doing alternated bicep curls, hammer curls, and triceps kickback. I am trying to get more into the free weights instead of only using the machines, but feel a little lost.

Also, I keep reading online that doing squats using the smith machine is dangerous which is why I haven't been doing them. I already have knee issues and am afraid to make it worse.

Replies

• jamien604
    jamien604 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Doing most exercises on a smith machine isn't ideal. It forces you into an unnatural range of motion.

You will actually injure yourself faster on a smith machine then not on it. I know it seems like the opposite.

If you're too intimidated by a barbell, use dumbbells for bench press, upright rows and shoulder press. They're way easier to use proper form. Watch some youtube videos and even practice at home without weight in the mirror(if you have a laptop) while looking at the video if you're unsure.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    The only exercise I do using the smith machine are inverted rows. Barbells and dumbbells are better for those exercises though I use the cable machine for upright rows (with the rope attachment)
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am not intimidated by a barbell, but I joined Planet Fitness and they dont have them lol. They only have the shorter bar with fixed weight, and I bench more than the heaviest of those.
  • ASH2038602
    Options
    I am not sure if that's what you meant by barbell... I am pretty new to all of this besides taking weight training in JR High hahaha
  • jamien604
    jamien604 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Use dumbbells then. Smith machine is going to hurt you in the long run.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    They don't have any olympic bars or heavy fixed barbells? That's odd for a gym
  • ASH2038602
    Options
    No Olympic bars. The fixed bars dont go up very high, I will check again though just in case. Can I start dead lifting with dumbbells if the fixed bars aren't heavy enough? I have never done it before and would like to try it.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The only exercise I do using the smith machine are inverted rows.

And pull ups. I'm short and can't reach the bars that are purposefully set up for chin ups =)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I use the smith machine for several exercises... incline bench press, flat bench press, decline bench press, overhead press, narrow and wide grip shrugs, bent over rows, close grip bench for triceps, to name a few. I also work in free weights too. If you only have access to a smith machine then I personally would use it and work in what you can with free weights if they are available... Best of Luck
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    pull ups
  • ASH2038602
    Options
    CyberEd, I will look some of those up! Thank you!

Sunofabeach, I can't do pull ups yet lol. I have been using the pull up assist machine.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I recently started using the Smith Machine at my gym to bench press,overhead shoulder press, and upright row. Anyone have any other suggestions to add in? Or dumbbell exercises? Right now I am doing alternated bicep curls, hammer curls, and triceps kickback. I am trying to get more into the free weights instead of only using the machines, but feel a little lost.

Also, I keep reading online that doing squats using the smith machine is dangerous which is why I haven't been doing them. I already have knee issues and am afraid to make it worse.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Use dumbbells then. Smith machine is going to hurt you in the long run.

Stop with the misinformation. That's flat out untrue.

While the Smith Machine may not work all the stabilizer muscles that free weights do, there is no evidence that the Smith Machine actually causes injuries. Telling people that it will isn't helpful.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options

You keep reading that from people who think "down and back" constitutes a natural squat motion when, in fact, it doesn't. If you are going down and back it's because your back is collapsing under the strain and you are allowing your hips to swing back in order to compensate. A properly performed squat is nearly completely straight-up and down - even with free weights.

The other misconception comes from the way that many people do squats on the Smith Machine - which is to say they lean back on the bar rather than getting up underneath the bar as you would doing any other kind of squat. That's not a natural motion either and will cause undue stress on the joints - but that isn't the fault of the machine either. It's poor technique on the part of the user.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    No Olympic bars. The fixed bars dont go up very high, I will check again though just in case. Can I start dead lifting with dumbbells if the fixed bars aren't heavy enough? I have never done it before and would like to try it.

Yes. You can also do variations like single leg DL with dumbells. SInce you work each side separately, you can get a good workout even without super heavy weights.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    CyberEd, I will look some of those up! Thank you!

Sunofabeach, I can't do pull ups yet lol. I have been using the pull up assist machine.

I pinched a nerve in my neck a couple years back (freak accident) and paralyzed my right arm to the point I woke up in the middle of the night and could not lift my arm off the bed... It took me 2 months to push a 3 lb. dumbbell over my head. All the stabilizer muscle in my shoulder was effected so while going through physical therapy my therapist had me in the smith machine for alot of my various weighted exercises. The machine compensated for the weakness in my shoulder and aloud me to concentrate on form and function... It has taken me 18 additional months now to get to where I am (which is about 85% back to full strength) In March of this year I have started to transition to more dumbbells and free weights but still incorporate the smith machine as part of my regimen. In my opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with the smith machine, just concentrate on good form and you will be fine.... Best of Luck......
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    They don't have any olympic bars or heavy fixed barbells? That's odd for a gym

Unfortunately Planet Fitness isn't a gym "It's a fitness center!" That's why I left. All they had was a smith machine and preset low weight bars. I found a new gym that I love.

OP- you're better off using dumbbells, that's what I had to do throughout my year contract. I never had a problem of going past the highest dumbbell weight though I admit I wasn't lifting as much as I am now. The only things I do with the smith machine are single leg exercises. Find a new gym :flowerforyou:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    None
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Jim_Barteck said;
    The other misconception comes from the way that many people do squats on the Smith Machine - which is to say they lean back on the bar rather than getting up underneath the bar as you would doing any other kind of squat. That's not a natural motion either and will cause undue stress on the joints - but that isn't the fault of the machine either. It's poor technique on the part of the user.

A trainer told me I should lean back on the Smith Machine to do squats. Strictly opposing views, I need more info. PM me or post here with some links.

I don't like the Smith Machines at PF but it's what i have to work with. I'm just starting with light weights so I'm not worried about injury now, but when I get into the heavy stuff. (Aside: PF is within my finances and other gyms in the area are not)
  • ASH2038602
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone's responses. All of this stuff is so confusing to me, because there are so many conflicting opinions on everything!