ALWAYS end up overeating at night!

Options
This always leads to fullness and bloating and GUILT. Don't know why I do it, but I need to STOP.

Replies

• DarkMoon30
    DarkMoon30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This always leads to fullness and bloating and GUILT. Don't know why I do it, but I need to STOP.

maybe you're not eating enough during the day
  • JDownie91
    JDownie91 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You could try brushing your teeth after dinner... it helps me because I dont want to ruin the minty taste, or have to brush again!!
  • audrast
    audrast Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Set some new rules for yourself. I gave myself an 8pm cut-off for any eating. I can drink water after 8pm but no food.

Things you can try:
    Keep a diary of eating habits, not just intake, but how you're feeling at the time. If you notice that during your night-eating you have certain emotions or stress, you can address those things specifically.

Prepare some healthier snacks for the evening, things that are easy to digest, not too high in fats. You can grab them on a moments notice and not be tempted by worse things.

Break some habits you may have fallen into. If you habitually watch late night TV and find yourself munching, try a different activity in the evening. Do something creative or read or brush your pets,
  • DarkMoon30
    DarkMoon30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ok scrap my last comment... looking at your diary I'm guessing you're not eating enough

most days, after exercise, you're netting under 1000 calories a day

Not good

Have a look at this and figure out a healthy calorie goal for you and your activity level http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    OP, myself and many others have told you in previous threads you need to get help.
    We cannot help you in the forums. You have an ED. You should not be using a calorie counting website to lose any more weight.
    Please see a therapist. Please.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    OP, myself and many others have told you in previous threads you need to get help.
    We cannot help you in the forums. You have an ED. You should not be using a calorie counting website to lose any more weight.
    Please see a therapist. Please.

^^ This.
    And I find it disappointing that barely anyone actually checks the Op's profile, post history or diary, which would show quite clearly that there is an issue.
  • joshuaperson
    Options
    For the record, I am getting help. I utilize the forums to see what works for others/what others suggest. Surely, I am not the only one with an eating disorder using this website. Thank you for your concern, though :smile:
  • R2Detoo
    R2Detoo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I feel you, it's 11:45 pm and I have no idea why but I'm starving... I usually try drinking a cup full of green tea or eating a small cinnamon red-hot to keep me satisfied till I go to sleep

any candy will do, but I'm just less likely to pop 15 cinnamon red hots one after the other vs jolly ranchers or some other candy
  • esthercrosbie96
    Options
    that's me most of the time. I find it hard not to feel too full eating 1200 calories or more.
  • tawnywest
    tawnywest Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The feeling of being fat or heavy comes from your body being weak and tired. Your muscles and bones are lacking vital nutrients. As long as you're not getting adequate nutrition you will ALWAYS feel fat, tired, out of control and think irrationally. Fitness Pal is no place for you my friend. The compulsion to restrict and control your caloric intake and output is only making what is most likely underlying anxiety worse. You need to restore your weight to the normal range before you get osteoporosis or worse yet have a heart attack. Give your self a chance to really experience life. Be the best and healthiest you, you can be.

I just realized I am signed in to my moms fitness pal account lol.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    For the record, I am getting help. I utilize the forums to see what works for others/what others suggest. Surely, I am not the only one with an eating disorder using this website. Thank you for your concern, though :smile:

But you are not looking for what works, your posts have mostly been panic over how much you think you are eating, rather than being posts seeking advice on how to get your calories up, how to get to a healthy weight etc. You are not on the correct calorie amount for recovery and all this site will be doing, while you are still in an ED mindset, is give you more ideas for how to lose weight/limit your intake. You need to step away and stick to a doctor/psychologist/therapist/nutritionist.
  • SimaN2014
    SimaN2014 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey, I read your posts, your history and your profile before bed last night... Just surfing MFP, nothing serious.

It turned out, your history haunted me, and I really slept badly after reading what I read and I woke up resolving to answer you here, as one concerned human being to another... You say you are getting help -- please do that and stick with it. Your situation frightened me, and I'm just a stranger.

You need to gain weight. If you want to gain muscle rather than fat, fine, you will need to work with a doctor, a nutritionist and a therapist. I don't know much about ED, but imagine you must be suffering a lot one way or another. You want to be forever curious? Please put the "forever" back in there.

To answer your post, you are eating at night because your body is literally starving. And you are not feeding it enough during the day. You are not feeding it enough to be at maintenance for a 5'0" forty-something female (yeah, that's me), let alone a young man of 5'10". Please nourish your body, your body needs you to do this before you have irreversible damage. Please do whatever you can and work with professionals to develop a healthier relationship to food and your own image, and you will be able to be curious about many things, for a long time to come. You sounded like someone with a passion for great things, like sunsets and cooking great food.

I wish I could offer better support, but I really am not knowledgeable about ED. But know that you have a healthy goal to strive for and that people out here are concerned and want to help in your recovery one way or another.

I hope this helped you somehow, if even just a little bit.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Hey, I read your posts, your history and your profile before bed last night... Just surfing MFP, nothing serious.

It turned out, your history haunted me, and I really slept badly after reading what I read and I woke up resolving to answer you here, as one concerned human being to another... You say you are getting help -- please do that and stick with it. Your situation frightened me, and I'm just a stranger.

You need to gain weight. If you want to gain muscle rather than fat, fine, you will need to work with a doctor, a nutritionist and a therapist. I don't know much about ED, but imagine you must be suffering a lot one way or another. You want to be forever curious? Please put the "forever" back in there.

To answer your post, you are eating at night because your body is literally starving. And you are not feeding it enough during the day. You are not feeding it enough to be at maintenance for a 5'0" forty-something female (yeah, that's me), let alone a young man of 5'10". Please nourish your body, your body needs you to do this before you have irreversible damage. Please do whatever you can and work with professionals to develop a healthier relationship to food and your own image, and you will be able to be curious about many things, for a long time to come. You sounded like someone with a passion for great things, like sunsets and cooking great food.

I wish I could offer better support, but I really am not knowledgeable about ED. But know that you have a healthy goal to strive for and that people out here are concerned and want to help in your recovery one way or another.

I hope this helped you somehow, if even just a little bit.

This was beautifully stated.

OP, I know I post the same stuff in your threads, but it's because I'm genuinely worried about you. Please get off this site, utilize the help you are getting offline, and return here when you are in a better place. Your food anxiety shows that this is not the best resource for you; we are on a fitness website geared to individuals not suffering from an ED.

As you can see above, people are giving you advice without knowing your history. They aren't even bothering to check your profile. This is not good advice. Please, for the sake of your health, and all of the potential you have inside you, deactivate your account and get yourself to a healthy and wonderful place. We will still be here when you reach recovery, and are looking to gain and maintain a healthy weight.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You need to eat and eat and eat. You look to be at least 20 pounds underweight. A 5'10 20 year old male needs lots of calories to be healthy, especially if you're active.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

I am concerned too. In your pictures you look like you have barely survived a holocaust. This is not good. Your profile indicates you want to lose 12 lbs -- this cannot possibly be so. As someone else stated, gaining 20 lbs would be a great start, but maybe only a start. You look relatively tall (I don't know -- your body comp might be deceptive there.) I am 5'7" and I look and, more importantly, feel my best at about 155-160, just to give you some reference.

I apologize if I am not using the best language. I am not a therapist. You should definitely be talking to a therapist.