Going over sugar limit, staying inside calories once a week?

Options
Hey, I usually have a "cheat" day every Saturday where I eat a bag of candy (300-400g) which is about 1200 kcal.
On these days, I make sure I hit my proteins and fibers with the remaining calories I have left (about 800kcal).
I plan the Saturday throughout the week to make sure I don't go over my calories. I eat well the rest of the week (fruits, vegetables, lean meats etc.)
But as I am building around the diary of this "candy day", I always go over my sugars (candy is 123g and my limit is 77g according to MFP). I will exceed carbs by a few grams.
Is this VERY bad? Remember, I only exceed sugar intake this day of the week.
I'm also battling several eating disorders and I'm doing a lot better now when using MFP and eating according to 'If it fits your macros'.
Cheers.

Replies

• sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I probably go over my sugar limit every day.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight, no. As long as it's fitted within your calories you're fine.
  • haraldxedge
    haraldxedge Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight, no. As long as it's fitted within your calories you're fine.
    Oops! I forgot to mention that I'm talking about maintaining my weight.
    I don't have any illnesses related to blood sugar *knock on wood*.
    Thanks for your answers!
    I'd still love to hear other people's opinions!
    Also, excess carbs = fat?
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answers!
    Excess calories = fat :wink:

Which doesn't mean you should get ALL your calories from sugar. As long as you stay within your maintenance range and you get an adequate amount of macro and micronutrients (protein, fats, vitamins, minerals, fiber...) it's no big deal if you go over on carbs or sugar. You won't gain weight and you won't get sick. :wink:
  • haraldxedge
    Options
    Thanks for your answers!
    Excess calories = fat :wink:

Which doesn't mean you should get ALL your calories from sugar. As long as you stay within your maintenance range and you get an adequate amount of macro and micronutrients (protein, fats, vitamins, minerals, fiber...) it's no big deal if you go over on carbs or sugar. You won't gain weight and you won't get sick. :wink:
    People like you make me happy that the Internet was invented. Thank you so much!!!
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Since I've gone into maintenance/slow bulk I’ve been eating a lot of sugar since it’s the only extra calories I can get myself to eat when I’m stuffed and I’ve had trouble gaining. So don’t worry, once a week is not a big deal. Actually I’ve always had 1-2 cheat meals a week and those were always over in sugar/fat and also calories and it did nothing to stop my weight loss / maintenance.

Enjoy your treat!
    :drinker:
  • haraldxedge
    Options
    Since I've gone into maintenance/slow bulk I’ve been eating a lot of sugar since it’s the only extra calories I can get myself to eat when I’m stuffed and I’ve had trouble gaining. So don’t worry, once a week is not a big deal. Actually I’ve always had 1-2 cheat meals a week and those were always over in sugar/fat and also calories and it did nothing to stop my weight loss / maintenance.

Enjoy your treat!
    :drinker:
    Very nice! Thank you! It's a great relief for me!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it dietwise, but eating that much candy at a pop sounds gross to me - and this from a woman who just had ice cream for dessert and does so just about every night.

Might I just suggest that's probably not great for you long term? Why not eat 1/4 bag of candy and then go for cake and cookies? More nutrition? Satisfy the sweet tooth? Fat is a lot easier to bulk up calories on than sugar. Toast, butter, and a big glass of milk is over 500 calories.

Just something to think about.