100 squats a day, who's done it?

Options
I recently lost 20 pounds (only 30 more to go -_-) and I'm starting to see my hourglass shape come back. I'm still dealing with back fat and belly fat, but my butt has gone down a lot, almost deflated in a way :(
So I came up with the idea to start at 100 squats a day, increasing them by 50 each week for a month. Yes, I'm just winging it, I am a novice after all.

So the first few days getting to a hundred really killed me and I was so sore afterwards, but now on day 4 it's starting to get almost too easy, and "the burn" seems to go away after a half hour or so after my squat session is complete. My legs aren't feeling like jell-o the next day either, so I'm wondering if my legs have really gotten stronger in these past few days, or if I need to step it up and do more/deeper/longer squats? I have no idea.
My butt and thighs are in an EXTREMELY sad and sorry shape, and I've *heard* that 100 or more squats a day can really improve your lower body in just weeks if done religiously.

Can I get some advice from anyone who's tried the squat challenge or 100 squats a day? Or advice about what I can do to keep that "burn" going?? Again, have mercy, I'm new to all of this..lol

Replies

• _Blues_
    _Blues_ Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    just because you are not sore does not mean it isn't working.
  • AngeliqueAcee
    AngeliqueAcee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I did the squat challenge a few months back. I lost a couple of centimetres on each thigh, can't say the last day of 250 (?) squats was a fun one though
  • Redribbon73
    Redribbon73 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I did the squat challenge too and yes 250 was a killer but I did find with each day the squats got easier. My legs have never been in better shape and the butt too! Keep at it.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    haven't done it, but i just might. i recently started getting around to doing squats again. i do them when i get bored or while i wait on food to cook, lol (my family thinks it's a little weird when they happen to walk in..) but squat challenges can be fun but killer. i did one at the start of the year but got out of the habit, but started noticing a change in my rump. slow increase is probably good, so i say go for it.
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I think I just might try the squat challenge, however, I have balance issues due to multiple sclerosis. I guess I will have to use a chair or a wall for balance. Maybe it will help get my butt from this (____(____) to this (__(__) again.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I did the challenge and when the burn started to wane, I added weights and mixed up the squats. I started doing goblet squats, regular dumbell squats, one legged squats...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I've done it -- worked my way up to 500 actually -- but I was trying to work on muscular endurance for something completely different. It didn't change much about my rear though. I got a lot more change when I decided I had enough muscular endurance and started increasing intensity instead.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    do heavy squats... they work much better
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    once you can do 100 of something, it's basically walking and it's kinda hard to get a burn from walking.

step 1. Put some weight on a bar
    step 2. Get your body under that bar
    step 3. lift that bar up and down.
    step 4. add weight and repeat
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options

^^This!
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    once you can do 100 of something, it's basically walking and it's kinda hard to get a burn from walking.

Well that depends on how fast you're walking. When I go for a walk I don't stroll. My pace is typically 4-4.5 mph on very hard terrain. Believe me, I get a 'burn' from it.

OP: I tried to do the squat challenge and kept forgetting (it never reminded me to do it) and after a while I got bored.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Yes, they do but if someone doesn't have access to a gym or doesn't have the money to go out and buy a bunch of weights then body weight exercises will work just fine. I've tried the challenge and using just my body weight I felt it and would be a bit sore the next day.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I tried the 1000 squat challenge but only managed to do 500 in 25 minutes, Still very good:)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    If you can do 100 squats then you need to make it harder.

Try bulgarian split squats if you don't have a gym membership. Hold a backpack or something if you need more weight.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've just started squats, and I'm using 5 pound dumbbells (one held in each hand). Even after only a few days, it's getting easier and I'll need to bump it up to 8 or 10 pound weights soon, I'm sure. Definitely go for the weighted squats.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Well that depends on how fast you're walking. When I go for a walk I don't stroll. My pace is typically 4-4.5 mph on very hard terrain. Believe me, I get a 'burn' from it.

OP: I tried to do the squat challenge and kept forgetting (it never reminded me to do it) and after a while I got bored.

If you're going 4.5 mph on hard terrain, you're basically not just walking anymore, are you? Sort of how if she did 30 squats with 100 pounds on her back, increasing the intensity changes the nature of the activity. I'm not sure how your activity negates my point.