Transitioning from treadmill to roads?

Options
I am currently finishing up my 6th week of a C25K derivative, and I consistently run between 5 and 6 km in a ~50 minute session on the treadmill. I know that my pace isn't the best,but my goal is to run in a 5k, and I am thinking that it may be about time to start thinking about how to transition from the treadmill to streets. Any advice?

Replies

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    watch out for dog pooh!

Seriously though, just find a route that you think will work. I'd start with a shorter distance. I find that when I have trained in the gym a long time, and then go outside it feels harder mentally because you have to be paying a lot more attention to what's going on - roads, bikes, pooh, which way am I going.....You soon get used to it though.

Good luck.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    watch out for dog pooh!

Seriously though, just find a route that you think will work. I'd start with a shorter distance. I find that when I have trained in the gym a long time, and then go outside it feels harder mentally because you have to be paying a lot more attention to what's going on - roads, bikes, pooh, which way am I going.....You soon get used to it though.

Good luck.

It's not just harder mentally, you're actually doing more work when you run outside than when you run on a treadmill. I always suggest that people run outside unless they can't.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Watch for creepers, pack a gun, wear reflective clothing, carry mace for dogs, don't get hit by a car, don't run in a cemetery, and don't eat after midnight
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I did c25k on the treadmill the first time through. Then, I did the whole program outside, on the roads. It did take some adjustment for me - I was much slower, and had to really watch the terrain (I'm all about tripping over anything with my two left feet). Good luck!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I actually think it is easier mentally to run outside...
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I actually think it is easier mentally to run outside...

ditto

You can't hold on the the bars when you are outside...but a treadmill is a good substitute in bad weather.
    Watch for creepers, pack a gun, wear reflective clothing, carry mace for dogs, don't get hit by a car, don't run in a cemetery, and don't eat after midnight

good advice
  • Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    watch out for dog pooh!

:laugh: I just pictured a treadmill designed to more realistically simulate an outdoor running environment, which would occasionally drop blobs of artificial poo on the belt for you to have to dodge, to keep you on your toes. :laugh:

hahahahahah
  • scottbad
    Options
    Take your treadmill outside, Everyday move it a little closer to the road - then one day...
  • b218w
    b218w Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Doing the treadmill to running outside transition too.....it's definitely different.....pacing yourself instead of relying on the belt of the treadmill to set the pace.....the resistance from wind etc.....I am only starting so on a learning curve
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I am currently finishing up my 6th week of a C25K derivative, and I consistently run between 5 and 6 km in a ~50 minute session on the treadmill. I know that my pace isn't the best,but my goal is to run in a 5k, and I am thinking that it may be about time to start thinking about how to transition from the treadmill to streets. Any advice?

If you can spare the money I suggest going out and buying a good pair of running shoes. Your feet will love you for it. I'd suggest a pair of Brooks.