Oh, you're a runner...

Options
I have found it funny that two times in the last few weeks, people have commented on my weight loss and asked me "how did you do it?" I always find this a bit hard to answer without sounding trite. "I started eating fewer calories than my body burned," etc. Everybody wants to know what secret pill or potion allowed me to lose weight.

Recently, I have started running. My first run in many years was 1/3/10. What is funny is that now I get some version of "oh, you are a runner" when asked about weight loss. It is like it is an elite club. I BECAME a runner when I got out of bed at 630a when it was 19 degrees outside. It wasn't some birthright to which I was coronated.

Anyway, just find it funny that now the fact that I run is the "reason" that I lost the weight.

So, I guess now I am a runner... I ran 13 miles last week and will run more than 15 this week. I have a secret technique. I put one foot in front of the other, then repeat. :smile:

--Carter

Replies

• mandyshell
    Options
    I like this. I get that too. People are like "Oh I see, your a runner, that explains it", Not the 9 months I spent watching what I eat and working out, lol. It's kinda hard to tell someone to just watch what you eat and exercise, you'll see results too. I became a runner in December and I love every minute of it :) I may not run fast or really far, but dang it I'm running. Good for you!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I loved the book Chicken Soup for the Runner's Sole. It was great and many stories like this in it. Great read.

What's funny is I didn't run until I was 39, deciding I wanted to run a marathon at 40 - which I did. But I had so many people just impressed that I was running, it was like something those around me never would do themselves and are just so impressed that I did. My 11 yo is training to run his first 5K because he really wants to be a runner, he knows he's not built like a football player, and figure those long skinny legs can get him somewhere. He wants to run cross-country as the trails are much more fun than city pavement. Now if I could just get him to stop pointing out the snakes, beetles, and ant hills.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    My personal favorite line.. Why would you want to run?
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Totally understand what y'all mean. I signed up for my first triathlon in December 2010 (takes place this April) and since then, I've been in training and have lost about 10 pounds. People mention it to me and I tell them I'm training for my tri. They look at me like I'm insane and say something along the lines of "I could NEVER do that." I think it's easier for people to look at what we're all doing and just assume it's too hard than for them to give themselves credit and know that they could do it too. Most people just don't have enough self-discipline to commit to getting in shape. That was definitely me until very recently. The old adage is very, very true: "If I can do it, ANYONE can do it."
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite line.. Why would you want to run?

Well, becuase I can. Then I go into how there are a lot people that CANNOT run for one reason or another. I think part of my motivation is I have never been a faster runner. It wasn't until I realized you don't have to be a fast runner to run. I also had childhood asthama and was told I would never be good at running.

I'll never come in first in my age division in a race. But the fact that I moved my 284 lbs that hard for an extended amount of time is enough of a victory for me.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    hahaha great thread. :laugh:

Yes I get that a lot. Initially it's funny but it can get tiresome when they start frowning and tell you not to "overdo it" when they ask you how your weekend has been and you reply you ran a marathon...

Sometimes it's easier not to talk about it than trying to explain the alien concept of "running" to people who drive 500 yards to the shop!!!! :huh:
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    I love this because I used to think exactly the same way. Being A RUNNER seemed like this secret society that I had no access to. Then one day I literally said to someone "I've decided that I'm going to be a runner." And I started out with 3 miles, and I would walk for about .5 mile or so in the middle and kept working on it, now I can run 8 miles straight without problem, I've trained for a half marathon and plan to continue to build on that and do a full one. I love it!!
  • princesspurple
    Options
    I started running 'seriously' 1/2010..I ran a half in April and a Full in November....I love it! It was initially to get me moving more and to help my weightloss-then I just fell in love with the quiet time and getting a good workout in was the bonus.
    I get that a lot-oh, it was easy for you to lose weight because you run....ummmm...I worked my but off to get up and run in order to lose weight!!!!!:devil: