Binge Eating at Night

Options
I have a terrible habit of maintaining my diet throughout the day, but once night falls, I become ravenous and eat everything in sight. I tell myself, "Oh, I still have calories left over," but once I start, I can't stop. Like, two days ago, I decided that I was hungry. Ate a peach and told myself that was all. Then I made a bean dish for myself and ate that too. Then made myself a sandwich. Next thing I knew, I was 700 calories over my maintenance level. I'm not even all that hungry when I binge...

Replies

• crazymommy5
    crazymommy5 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am (was) an emotional eater and had the same problem. I never deprive myself of the foods I enjoy and I keep "binge foods" out of my house. I stop eating completely and I conclude my food/exercise diary by 8pm . I am very strict with myself about it. It was difficult at first-especially during stressful days. I had to dig deep into my inner strength and reflect on how far I have come and envision where I want to be. Tap into that self-control. It will be hard at first, but it will be worth it! Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If it's a bad habit, you need to break it. Either replace with low-cal snacks or just quit.

If you feel that your eating is something you have no control over, see the doctor. They can make sure there isn't some physical cause for these cravings and will be able to refer you to someone who specializes in eating disorders if it turns out to be a mental problem. Even if you don't have an eating disorder, they can help you work through your issues with food.

Good luck!
  • jfmorrison
    jfmorrison Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Try drinking water or tea. It will fill you up and often sate that desire to consume something.
  • cakenedith2
    cakenedith2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It is upsetting but don't be so hard on yourself. Pick yourself back up and start again tomorrow. I have always struggled with binging and about a year ago I decided to work on it--heard about an amazing author/motivational speaker--Geneen Roth and read her book--Breaking free from emotional eating--it's amazing and has changed my life. I still continue to struggle with it but keep going back to her book. You could also go to her website/blog and hear her speak or sign up for her newsletter-- geneenroth.com

Best wishes to you. Sending you a hug:)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Is your calorie goal too low? When I have a large deficit I'm more likely to wildly overeat.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would attempt would be to identify what you are feeling that is causing you to do this. Hunger? Stress? Habit? Environment?
  • megan116xo
    megan116xo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I also get hungry at night but instead I try and just drink water and not eat after 8 pm. If you do eat, make sure you track it, you need to hold yourself accountable!
  • missyahall2
    missyahall2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ditto on keeping the binge foods out of the house. You may want to increase your calories throughout the day so that you aren't hungry at night.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I love heavy dinners. I eat about 500-800 calories at night between 8-11pm. I've tried eating smaller meals at night but I invariably eat another meal before I sleep if I do that. I also do not like breakfast and small meals throughout the day. I tried the heavy breakfast, smaller lunch and very small dinner thing and it didn't work. I tried not eating after 9pm, and that didn't work. I tried small meals and that REALLY didn't work. I like 2-3 big meals. I've lost 26lbs this way. I honestly don't think the time of day matters. If you feel hungry late at night, eat.
    Maybe you could try different amounts of food at different times from what you are used to. You might find something you can get used to more easily.
  • EvelynR1967
    EvelynR1967 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    GREAT comment!!!!!!!!!!!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie goal, before exercise?