Anyone hooping for cardio?

Options
I have a weighted hula hoop and LOVE hooping. I know it's supposed to be good for cardio, but I live in a studio apartment so there isn't much I can do besides shifting weight. Has anyone had success with using hooping for cardio?

Replies

• kileyloveall
    Options
    i have had the challenge of hooping in a small trailer-sized bedroom. A small hoop works better than a dance-sized hoop (mine is 40"! that hits the walls a lot...) but the smaller hoop is a cheap one i just got from the store and i can do vortex and corkscrews, halos, and even practice a bit of weaving. the room really only has a treadmill and lamp in it though, so it is almost exclusively for working out and hooping. a larger dancing hoop helps slow down some moves and makes it a bit easier to hoop inside since you aren't moving at top speed, and still a good workout. as long as you're moving around and dancing while hooping you can really burn calories i think. some people think it doesn't burn any and is more of an 'ab' workout, but i'm guessing they are just standing in one spot and only hooping. try dancing and doing tricks and pumping up that speed and it is a crazy good workout. i love it :) i have definitely felt tighter and more toned. i feel like my paunchy stomach finally flattened out. its a great feeling, plus i feel like i've got more grace and rythmn -- i think it helps you to get in tune with your body more too making dancing a lot more fun :) chest hooping is a really good workout too, that'll get your muscles working!! sorry, that was a lot, i've just been really stoked about this newfound workout :) enjoy!!!
  • kahulalui
    Options
    This sounds fun.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Oh, I thought you meant hooping.

giphy.gif
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It looks like a ton of fun, and my office gym has one. But damn if I can keep the thing up past the first turn. I'm hopeless! Lol.
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Mine is thirty-some inches. I don't bump into walls but I do have limited room. I throw on a TV show and hoop through the whole thing, changing arm/leg positions, occasionally spinning, and shifting weight. I get a good sweat on and I can do it for longer because I'm distracted by the TV ;) My main thing is I just try to keep my whole body moving, not just the hoop, and then take a few minutes to go as fast as I can, then back to normal for a bit, repeat. I think it's a great workout but I supplement with strength training and running, so I wouldn't rely on that alone.