ankle and wrist weights?

Options
Has anyone ever used these? I read an article that using these walking will give your body a similar effect as running as in the calorie burn. So I read more on it and some many articles with that they are good to use and some saying they are not. So I dont really know what to think

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Most fitness professionals don't recommend them, since - as you've read - they can cause injuries. Running always burns more calories per hour, so that article lied. If you can't run, try walking with a weighed backpack.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Walking with ankle weights can be dangerous. It puts strain on the joints...the knees, hips, back, as well as the ankles. And you don't have as much control of your movements...if you lose your balance or trip, you won't be as able to steady yourself and you could fall.
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Walking with ankle weights can be dangerous. It puts strain on the joints...the knees, hips, back, as well as the ankles. And you don't have as much control of your movements...if you lose your balance or trip, you won't be as able to steady yourself and you could fall.

Totally agree with the above.

The other thing to remember is this. The calorie burn from walking 3 miles is the same as for running 3 miles. The differences are that running gets it done quicker, and the residual calorie burn whilst the body is cooling down is greater if you run (so the articles say). Is it worth it at the end of the day? (Am now preparing for a shed load of negativity ... )
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My physiotherapist advised strongly against using them.
  • annmfrank
    annmfrank Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always walk with 3 pound wrist weights. I feel like I get the opportunity to work my arm muscles while I walk. Now I feel naked if I walk without my weights.
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I walked with ankle weights about 3 weeks ago.. once.. they put blisters on my ankles and the front of my feet..
    Never again!
  • Footballgirl83
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • kikontx
    kikontx Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I always walk with 3 pound wrist weights. I feel like I get the opportunity to work my arm muscles while I walk. Now I feel naked if I walk without my weights.

I walk with 1 pound wrist weights (the ones that wrap around and not that I have to hold) and I agree with the opportunity to work the arm muscles a bit during the walk. It also helps me keep my forearms somewhat parallel to the ground so my arms are "pumping" vs. "swaying".

I do not use them on my ankles nor do I wear them on my wrist if I'm jogging.