Whole grain breads and rice and such...

Options
Kalikel
Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
What whole grains do you find yummiest? I keep trying whole grain rides and breads, but it never like them and never finish it.

That's it.

Thanks. :)

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I like whole grain breads but think whole wheat pasta is an abomination. The whole grains have more fibre and usually the grain germ, but if you don't like them, don't eat them. Get your fibre and micronutrients elsewhere.
    I think it's best to find a diet that you enjoy and meets your daily requirements so that you'll stick with it.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Arnold brand Oat Nut bread is my favorite, but since starting this journey, I can't bring myself to eat it due to calories. I eat Nature's Own Honey Wheat 40 cal bread.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I also like whole wheat pasta BUT prefer my veggetti even more :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I can't eat white stuff anymore honestly. I find it tasteless...
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste of dirt, you'll love quinoa.

Hope this helps.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of dirt and I love quinoa.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    There's a variety of whole grains from India I cook a lot with. Millet, finger millet, barley, pearl millet/sorghum are my favourites. The millet and sorghum I use to make unleavened flat bread, as thickeners for soups etc. The finger millet makes great batter for spiced crepes apart from being used for flat bread, spiced buttermilk and dough balls to soak into curries. Barley I use for soups. .
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Hope this helps.

Try cooking it in reduced sodium chicken stock with carrots and celery. When it's almost done cooking, add some red table wine (not the cooking kind) to finish it off. Delish.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Hope this helps.

LOL! So true.
  • nharr002
    nharr002 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I personally like ezekial bread and wraps. It's not super soft like your regular run of the mill bread, but it serves it's purpose.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Pot barley is good in beef soups/stews.
    My grandfather always made me taste the soil in which we were growing our plants.
    Quinoa seed is fine by me but you were asking about grains so quinoa doesn't count.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My favorite are the breads made by Brownberry in my area, or Orowheat elsewhere in the country (same company, same breads, different labeling). My personal favorites are their Double Fiber, Double protein, and 12 grain. Somebody (I forget who) makes an "Ancient Grain" bread that includes quinoa and a couple of other things that was pretty good too.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Rice, quinoa, PASTA, bread (all bread) sourdough bread is the best of (all bread) and did I say PASTA. Hell I'm a carboholic!!! All ALL ALL ohhh and cake!
  • Kalikel
    Options
    A good friend suggested quinoa, lol, so that is on my list.

I know there will be some I like. I'm going to try these, little by little. Thanks, guys!!!
    Rice, quinoa, PASTA, bread (all bread) sourdough bread is the best of (all bread) and did I say PASTA. Hell I'm a carboholic!!! All ALL ALL ohhh and cake!
    Yes, thank you, that's exactly what I was hoping for - cake!

Now if I could just think of a flavor. Hmmm....

(You are a bad influence, lol. Damn peer pressure!)
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    i love cooking with quinoa because it is like a blank ( tasteless ) canvas and can be seasoned to match or complement your main dish.

When I do a sage and thyme roast a chicken I will make quinoa and use chicken stock instead of water and then also add mushrooms, sage and some thyme.

Sometimes I make saffron quinoa when I do Cornish game hens.

a favorite is when I do coconut cream marinated prawn and use some extra coconut cream after the prawns are done cooking in it to flavor.

with fish I like to flavor it with cappers and cracked black pepper or if I am doing more of a carribean dish I will use some habanero and pineapple.

Basically the combos are endless. Just season the stuff to suit your taste.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Personally I like anything whole wheat almost as well as white. Whole wheat tortillas, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread. But that's as far as I go. I don't do the multi-grain stuff or the bread that has seeds in it. Haven't tried brown rice or quinoa yet.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    If there is a whole grain version of most things I will go with it - breads, pasta, rice, quinoa, ..... It all adds to the flavour and stays with you longer!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    i love cooking with quinoa because it is like a blank ( tasteless ) canvas and can be seasoned to match or complement your main dish.

When I do a sage and thyme roast a chicken I will make quinoa and use chicken stock instead of water and then also add mushrooms, sage and some thyme.

a favorite is when I do coconut cream marinated prawn and use some extra coconut cream after the prawns are done cooking in it to flavor.

with fish I like to flavor it with cappers and cracked black pepper or if I am doing more of a carribean dish I will use some habanero and pineapple.

Um yeah, whatever, we're thinking chocolate here!
  • Kalikel
    Options

Thanks for the help!

That's what my friend told me to do, use chicken stock! I'll have to try that.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Personally I like anything whole wheat almost as well as white. Whole wheat tortillas, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread. But that's as far as I go. I don't do the multi-grain stuff or the bread that has seeds in it. Haven't tried brown rice or quinoa yet.
    Brown rice is excellent. I love whole wheat, too.

BIG difference between whole wheat and whole grain. If it was just wheat, I'd be all set. Wheat breads are usually very yummy. Not *quite* as yummy as Lis' chocolate cake, I'm sure (and she's going to be put in the corner in a minute for her Time Out), but wheat is great.

I am trying to see if I can't find something healthier to eat sometimes...something I like. :)