Support problems.

Options
I've been having a hard time getting support from my friends. A lot of people keep on telling me that I need to be working out if I want to loose weight and that I'm doing this all wrong. It's really discouraging to hear these things. I'm already on my feet, on average, 8-10 hours a day and even if there was time for me to work out I wouldn't want to. I hate going to the gym. Also, I've been doing just fine loosing weight by just cutting back. I was over eating for every meal before I started this. I dunno guys. I just feel like, it's my freaking body, I can take care of it the way I want to.

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    So do it yourself for yourself. Its 80% diet anyway. Exercise has got other benefits besides weight loss. Its not about dieting its about how you deal with the opinions of others.

A compromise is to find some sort of movement or exercise that you enjoy, swimming, dancing, a sport or just walk part of the way to work. Movement burns calories. Do some exerccise at home it doesnt have to be a gym. If you dont wnat to exercise then plenty of people lose weight that way as well. Your choice.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You don't need a cheerleading squad. It's nice to have it, but you don't need it. You need to stop relying on other people's praise and do things for yourself. You're losing so it's working - you don't need to hash out your plans with people who don't want to hear it. People sometimes get a little too hung up on talking a out their weightloss. You're already getting negative feedback...so, stop. You don't need their praise - you're a grown woman!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    A lot of people keep on telling me

"People" are always gonna be telling you *kitten*. You already know it's a calorie deficit you require to lose weight. You might find that you're a bit more interested in exercise, as you feel healthier. You might find that you want to exercise to look better naked. You might not. It's always gonna be up to you. "People' always have ridiculous opinions to share. Even on MFP.

:wink:
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Other people aren't losing the weight for you, only you are. Do what feels right to you and move on.
  • mckat08
    mckat08 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Your profile says that you are "trying to get into shape". If this is true, exercise is a big part of getting into shape. Just sayin....
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have people giving me advice, too. I know it is well intended and some of it might be helpful but it is too much. But, they don't see me day to day so I just say thanks and then do what I want. It would be great if your friends were more supportive of your choices. Do what you want to do.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Can you pull this off?

1359834832361029823.gif
  • JessBeastMode
    Options
    Hey Naomi, Trust me when I say this, From some one who weighed 301lbs and lost 70lbs in 4 MONTHS! 80-90% is all eating!!! I tried for years To drop weight, tried Body for life workout, Transformation workout, walked for 2 miles every day (8 on the weekends) for 6 months which by the way I only lost 3lbs in that time! I even gave CrossFit a shot! It wasn't until I got my eating on check that every thing changed..even doing MFP.. I didnt lose after a while. I feel like people think that working out is the cure all... IT'S NOT!! Given, its a part of the equation but not the whole enchilada! Im only speaking for my self, some other folks might have a different opinion, Heres how I knew it was all in my eating. When I started my program the first 3 weeks.. I DID NOT WORK OUT, all I did was take a 30 minute stroll... not even walk! that first week I dropped 15lbs, 2nd week 9lbs 3rd week 6lbs and 4th week 4lbs... and I kept losing, Im still losing. So I say if your doing something thats working... then stick to it!! forget what other people "think" you should do!
  • NaomiNoel21
    NaomiNoel21 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get muscular either. I've already got tons of muscle from day to day activities (I'm a metal smith/work at a bookstore, I do enough lifting!) and anytime I begin a work out regimen I gain a ton of weight from even more muscle, but I don't loose any fat, it just piles on.
  • NaomiNoel21
    Options
    I have people giving me advice, too. I know it is well intended and some of it might be helpful but it is too much. But, they don't see me day to day so I just say thanks and then do what I want. It would be great if your friends were more supportive of your choices. Do what you want to do.

Thank you. I knew I couldn't be the only one. I know I'll keep on doing what I want to do, but sometimes it's just hard. I was hoping to find some support here, but I guess a lot of people just want to tell me to suck it up. Thank you for sharing <3
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    You probably get water retention from starting lifting. I seriously doubt you "put on" a significant amount of muscle just by starting lifting. Muscle building is an extremely difficult process. Like a newb, lifting with a good hypertrophy routine, getting a good amount of protein who is new to lifting would be lucky to gain 12 lbs in a year in a bulk(calorie surplus) as a female.

But no one is forcing you to lift. Do what you wawnt.
  • NaomiNoel21
    Options
    Hey Naomi, Trust me when I say this, From some one who weighed 301lbs and lost 70lbs in 4 MONTHS! 80-90% is all eating!!! I tried for years To drop weight, tried Body for life workout, Transformation workout, walked for 2 miles every day (8 on the weekends) for 6 months which by the way I only lost 3lbs in that time! I even gave CrossFit a shot! It wasn't until I got my eating on check that every thing changed..even doing MFP.. I didnt lose after a while. I feel like people think that working out is the cure all... IT'S NOT!! Given, its a part of the equation but not the whole enchilada! Im only speaking for my self, some other folks might have a different opinion, Heres how I knew it was all in my eating. When I started my program the first 3 weeks.. I DID NOT WORK OUT, all I did was take a 30 minute stroll... not even walk! that first week I dropped 15lbs, 2nd week 9lbs 3rd week 6lbs and 4th week 4lbs... and I kept losing, Im still losing. So I say if your doing something thats working... then stick to it!! forget what other people "think" you should do!
    Thanks!
  • NaomiNoel21
    Options
    Can you pull this off?

1359834832361029823.gif

Haha, basically life goals right there.
  • NaomiNoel21
    Options
    Your profile says that you are "trying to get into shape". If this is true, exercise is a big part of getting into shape. Just sayin....
    tumblr_n9v69o2L8A1sk6x9qo1_500.png
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    The only exercise I get is dancing around the house in my undies... :laugh:

I don't plan on seriously doing much exercise until I get under that dreaded 200 mark. That might sound dumb because of muscle mass, but I don't give a rats *kitten* what other people think. :ohwell:
  • NaomiNoel21
    Options
    So do it yourself for yourself. Its 80% diet anyway. Exercise has got other benefits besides weight loss. Its not about dieting its about how you deal with the opinions of others.

A compromise is to find some sort of movement or exercise that you enjoy, swimming, dancing, a sport or just walk part of the way to work. Movement burns calories. Do some exerccise at home it doesnt have to be a gym. If you dont wnat to exercise then plenty of people lose weight that way as well. Your choice.
    I'm already super active just day to day. I live in the city and walk everywhere. I work in a university bookstore and am always walking while I'm at work, usually with books in my arms. Also I'm a metal smith, so I'm active in my practice as well. Usually if I feel like I wanna work up a sweat I'll go rollerblading or for a long brisk walk. I think I'm mostly just annoyed that people assume I have to be in the gym to be exercising.
  • NaomiNoel21
    Options
    You don't need a cheerleading squad. It's nice to have it, but you don't need it. You need to stop relying on other people's praise and do things for yourself. You're losing so it's working - you don't need to hash out your plans with people who don't want to hear it. People sometimes get a little too hung up on talking a out their weightloss. You're already getting negative feedback...so, stop. You don't need their praise - you're a grown woman!

There are a ton of assumptions made here. I don't even want to go into it.
  • oakfred
    oakfred Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    "Skinny fat" is the term for wieght loose without strength training. sure you can eat right and still loose weight. But you will also loose muscle. Muscle is what makes you look good. muscle is what makes your skin tight. and muscle is what will burn calories even when you are in rest mode. you will still loose wieght with out strength training but you will look better and keep the wight of with muscle.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You might be active, but until recently you were eating more calories than you were burning. If you dont want to exercise thats your choice and it wont stop you losing weight with the correct calorie deficit. You might get skinny fat though.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    OP- Every one of these posts is good advice. EVERY one of them. Not one was meant to be disrespectful. Not all of it may actually apply to YOU, but it all came from a good place. Trying to help you through a tough spot by giving you advise that worked for them.

And here's my heart felt advice. You do you. Plain and simple. Stay focused on your goal. Don't worry about working out if you don't want. Remember you can always start working out whenever (and if ever) you feel like it.

Edited for spelling. I suck at words.