Weight GAIN? WTF???

Options
2»

Replies

• onehicchic
    Options
    If your body thinks it's not getting enough, it will store fat. Not to mention its not used to the new eating habits and it could do the same.....store fat. I always seem to gain before I lose. I didn't this time, it took a bit to lose 2 pounds. I'm sure hormones can be a factor or too much salt. OR You could be gaining muscle. Muscle is good.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    Frankly, if you're depriving yourself you are doing something wrong and should re-think if this is just a temporary "diet" or a change to a more sustainable life style. If it's the former, you're very likely to gain back your weight and enter the vicious circle of yo-yo dieting.

You wrote only a few days ago:
    I did too!!! I lost 7 pounds so far (its been 2 weeks) and went to a party Saturday night in Manhattan - I did drink lots (vodka & club soda - which is pretty low in calories) but yesterday I was so hungover I ate very, very poorly. I've been beating myself up over it - hoping I didn't undo all the hard work I've been putting in :-(

So you already were 7 pounds down in 2 weeks. Some of that was doubtlessly water weight. Then you made a few poor choices, which probably dindn't actually bring back any lost fat, but just caused your body to hold on to some more water. Also, within 3 weeks... where are you in your period?

Last, before posting, it's always a good idea to search the forums for posts that may give you ideas how to address your problem. "Weight gain" is a good search term. Or just browse. There are multiple similar posts every week.

WHOA!
  • TMR001
    TMR001 Posts: 37
    Options
    Don't get discouraged.

Couple things to think about. I may repeat what others have stated.

Take your measurements. Pilates is extremely effective at toning and developing muscle so you will definitely want to track your measurements. 1 pound of muscle takes up less space then 1 pound of fat. So you might lose inches and still not show a dramatic change on the scale.

Water retention: Are you drinking a minimum of the 8 glasses. You may even want to drink 10 or more on your workout days. From all my past experience with losing weight... if I don't drink at least 8 glasses of water a day I will retain a disgusting amount of water weight. The more you workout the more important it is. Don't forget about the time of the month.

Eating back your calories. Are you eating 1200 calories NET for the day or are you eating 1200 calories period. 1200 is considered by just about every expert to be the bare minimum to support daily sedentary activities NOT including any exercise. So if you are burning 300 calories in an exercise class you should be eating at least 1500 calories on MOST days. If your not your body may decide that there is a massive famine and it better hold onto every ounce of energy it can. Your body stores energy as fat. It seems counter intuitive but eating less really can prevent you from losing weight efficiently.

Just some thoughts that may or may not apply. But whatever you do hang in there b/c if you keep at it you will lose weight and more importantly INCHES !!!!!

Good Luck.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My T.O.M. is due on 2/2...so its close

See, it's all good. Just soldier on.

Maybe don't cut down TOO much. It's a good idea to figure out how many calories you'd have to eat to maintain at your current weight. Or at your goal weight (shhh: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ ... good link). "Fluctuation" is another good search term. It looks to me as if we women fluctuate even more. I've been up 4 pounds in a day after a particularly strenuous *workout*.
  • hotonice
    hotonice Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I was just about to post a topic on this I gained 2 lbs grrr
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I do make sure I eat-back the calories I burn from working out...but only eat healthy calories (un-sweetened apple sauce, 2% milk string cheese - stuff like that)

Since my T.O.M. is due next week, I'll wait until it's over before weighing myself again.

Sorry for not doing a forum search on the topic. I'm still kinda new here....
  • aggi3guy
    Options
    Please stop telling her it is muscle people! There is no way that you can gain 3 pounds of muscle in ten days while eating 1200 calories and only doing pilates....not happening! Bodybuilders dont even see those kinds of gains after the initial starting period. Lean muscle gain is normally between 1.5 - 5 pounds per MONTH for a bodybuilder.

Thats not to say she's doing anything wrong, more than likely she is not weighing in at the same time every weigh-in, she is getting ready to start her period, or is stalling out weight loss by not eating enough. But pure lean muscle, this weight gain is not!
  • MrX8503
    MrX8503 Posts: 67
    Options
    Please stop telling her it is muscle people! There is no way that you can gain 3 pounds of muscle in ten days while eating 1200 calories and only doing pilates....not happening! Bodybuilders dont even see those kinds of gains after the initial starting period. Lean muscle gain is normally between 1.5 - 5 pounds per MONTH for a bodybuilder.

Thats not to say she's doing anything wrong, more than likely she is not weighing in at the same time every weigh-in, she is getting ready to start her period, or is stalling out weight loss by not eating enough. But pure lean muscle, this weight gain is not!
    lol, I was thinking the same thing.
  • 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    Options

THANK YOU
  • meganroseD
    Options
    I too have gained a little weight this week. It is so disheartening. However, I am spending some time reading over everything people have written on here and I have come to the conclusion that I need to measure myself, drink more water and eat more!! I think it is the eating more I will struggle with, although this may actually kick start my weight loss again, which has not really progressed in the last year!

Good luck.
    Megan
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I think I'm just going to toss my scale out....my last weight in (1/27) showed a 16 pound weight loss...I weighed in again today and it showed an 18 pound gain...my birthday was on 1/28...I treated myself to a steak dinner, and had 1 piece of cake. That was it. Since then I've been hitting my 1200 calories a day...I lost another inch on my waist, and 1/2 inch on my hips. My TOM ended 2 days ago. Even so....18 pounds??? If I actually gained 18 pounds (even if it was water weight) wouldn't all my clothes be too small instead of too big?
    The only other bad thing I did this week was not do my Pilates (due to pulled groin muscle - LOL OUCH!) ...
  • meganroseD
    Options
    I think you need new scales.
    Or, like you said, just throw them out! If your clothes are fitting better and you are feeling well then you must be doing something right.

Megx