Vegans: what do you do about vitamin B12?

Options
Giving veganism another go. I really support the cause and I hate consuming animal products, but last time I didn't do proper research and ended up with a B12 deficiency that ultimately took me back to animal products because I felt so lethargic and I couldn't run. Before I was running 12k three or four times a week and after a few months as a vegan a 3k felt like a marathon. I also wanted to sleep heaps.

So this time i'm making sure I supplement. What do other people do? Tablets? Injections? Or do you get enough from fortified products like soy milk or nutritional yeast?

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I use a multivitamin effervescent.

It's supposed to help me with migraines, but seeing as it also has 400% RDA of B12 in it, I am not complaining ;).
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I eat fortified foods and take a supplement once week to be on the safe side. My meat eating mother in law needs to get shots of b12. Some people just dont absorb it as readily as others.
  • bethanyboomstick
    bethanyboomstick Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin every day that has B12 in it.
  • tennisgirl444
    tennisgirl444 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I was vegan, I took a B complex vitamin.

I also keep nutritional yeast around- even now that I'm not vegan. When I was vegan, I would sprinkle it into most of my foods. I don't like the Whole Foods nutritional yeast, but I like the Red Star brand. I also would drink almond milk that was fortified with B12.
  • Jacqadactle
    Jacqadactle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods nutritional yeast in the bulk section doesn't have b12 in it. I thought it did for a while until I read the label and was kind of surprised.

I went vegetarian for a year and a half, and now have a b12 deficiency so bad that I have to get shots from my doctor, because it gave me severe panic attacks and breathing problems. I loved being a vegetarian, but I am convinced it's not healthy anymore. There's no known plant source of b12 that your body can absorb, you should be able to get all of your nutrients from food. At least that's my personal experience. Supplements weren't enough for me. I hope it works out better for you.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods nutritional yeast in the bulk section doesn't have b12 in it. I thought it did for a while until I read the label and was kind of surprised.

I went vegetarian for a year and a half, and now have a b12 deficiency so bad that I have to get shots from my doctor, because it gave me severe panic attacks and breathing problems. I loved being a vegetarian, but I am convinced it's not healthy anymore. There's no known plant source of b12 that your body can absorb, you should be able to get all of your nutrients from food. At least that's my personal experience. Supplements weren't enough for me. I hope it works out better for you.
    As B12 stays in your system for up to 25 years if you got a B12 deficiency after a year and half it was likely you had some underlying problem that caused the problem and your diet before becoming a vegetarian was also an issue. As there are many people that eat animal products who have B12 issues labeling your diet as the main issue is a bit blinkered . Yes there are no natural plant sources of B12 but I always find it strange when people go all holier than thou 'I wont do supplements or fortified foods because I should get all I need from a natural diet' when in general the modern diet be it animal products or not contain so many fortified foods and supplements. For example white flour has to be fortified with calcium by law in the UK. So many products of the shelves have added vitamins etc. So unless your growing all your own food you cannot claim that you are eating a natural diet with no supplements. Also considering the amount of omnivores who take vitamin supplements I fund it strange that people get all put out of joint by Vegans taking some

I personally just take a supplement because it does no harm and is better then the consequences of a B12 deficiency. This is a great article on in by Jack Norris RD

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12
  • thelazydandelion
    thelazydandelion Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I loved being a vegetarian, but I am convinced it's not healthy anymore. There's no known plant source of b12 that your body can absorb, you should be able to get all of your nutrients from food.

B12 vitamin comes from the dirt, the earth. You only get it indirectly from consuming animal products because they are ripping grass up from the roots and absorbing some B12 from the dirt that they ingest along with grazing. You don't get it from plants anymore because the vegetables we eat are so thoroughly washed, not to mention that the conventional method of farming, monoculture and chemicals/pesticides, severely strips the soil of nutrients over a period of time. If you grew all your food in your own garden you would have a much easier time getting enough B12 vitamin from a plant-based diet. Also, if you're vegetarian and consuming dairy, you do get B12 vitamin from the dairy.

Interesting. I knew that the B12 from meat was second hand but I never realised comes from dirt etc.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I eat meat, but take b-12 daily. I like the sublingual dots. The doctor said all the patients said they tasted good and he saw a lot of improvement in people who took them. That was good enough for me.

The bottle is purple and white and can be found in some Wal-Marts and Walgreens, but not all. Even if they stock it, it's almost always sold out. When I find it, I buy several bottles. One time I couldn't find them and had to take another kind...yuck! It did NOT taste good at all.

My B-12 went up into normal limits with them, too. :)
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I grow my own food and don't peel root vegetables, though I do wash them before cooking of course. I think the trace of soil may actually contain enough B12 to get by but I do still take a daily supplement to be safe.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I take a B12 suppement.
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian transitioning back to vegan here (currently ovo-vegetarian).

My vegan multivitamin has B12, but I also love nutritional yeast and the kind I use has it, too. :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Not a vegan, but I don't absorb b12 or iron very well from my food, so my doctor has me on centrum adults formula, and a high dose b complex vitamin.

Even non vegans can struggle with b12!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I take a supplement. I would rather error on the side of caution.
  • Arcticmoon
    Options
    I am about to get tested, but I am fairly certain I am B12 deficient. I already take B6 in two different forms, zinc, magnesium and iodine. I have been vegetarian for many years and have recently gone ovovegetarian (I eat eggs about once a week as I am playing with vegan protein sources). My doctor put me gluten and dairy free about 5 months ago, so eventually I'm hoping to drop the eggs and be vegan.

Rather than taking a multivitamin, I would really recommend finding a GP or dietician/nutritionist who can fine tune your supplements so that you get what you need. There is a lot of evidence out there that suggests multivitamins at best do nothing.

It is very difficult to be vegan in this massive 'paleo' culture and I struggle to get my protein grams recommended by mfp daily which is why I am trying vegan protein powders :)
  • holly_11
    Options
    I have been vegan for 1 1/2 years, and was B12 deficient as a meat eater. A lot of people, like me, have difficulty absorbing it, even if they are meat eaters. I get a B12 shot from my naturopath or my doctor every month because I know that I still will not be able to absorb an oral supplement either. I get blood tests regularly (every 6 months) now to ensure that my B12 and iron levels are good.
  • Jacqadactle
    Jacqadactle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »

As B12 stays in your system for up to 25 years if you got a B12 deficiency after a year and half it was likely you had some underlying problem that caused the problem and your diet before becoming a vegetarian was also an issue. As there are many people that eat animal products who have B12 issues labeling your diet as the main issue is a bit blinkered . Yes there are no natural plant sources of B12 but I always find it strange when people go all holier than thou 'I wont do supplements or fortified foods because I should get all I need from a natural diet' when in general the modern diet be it animal products or not contain so many fortified foods and supplements. For example white flour has to be fortified with calcium by law in the UK. So many products of the shelves have added vitamins etc. So unless your growing all your own food you cannot claim that you are eating a natural diet with no supplements. Also considering the amount of omnivores who take vitamin supplements I fund it strange that people get all put out of joint by Vegans taking some

I personally just take a supplement because it does no harm and is better then the consequences of a B12 deficiency. This is a great article on in by Jack Norris RD

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

B12 does not stay in your body for 25 years. Please show me where you found this information, as I do not know of any water-soluble vitamins that your body can hold on to for that length of time. Additionally, the main form of B12 fortification or supplementation is cyanocobalamin, which most people cannot correctly absorb or absorb very little of it. I can link some studies if you'd be interested in reading them. If you are intent on supplementing, switch to methylcobalamin.

I also never said that I was against fortified foods or supplements, I'm not sure where that came from.

As for underlying problems, I took my B12 before going vegetarian and it was fine. A year and a half later, I'm having panic attacks all day every day, and find I'm deficient. I go back to eating meat, and I'm fine again. Hmmm...
  • highcarbveganzombie
    Options
    B12 deficiency isn't just a vegan problem though, a lot of meat eaters suffer as well. Some folks just have a tough time absorbing it. As for your question, I take a sublingual tablet each day (and make sure it's methylcobalamin) and a bit of B12 fortified nutritional yeast here and there. My levels are perfect. If you are really under injections are a good way to go until your levels even out, then switch to a tablet. Good luck and yay for going vegan!

dancingonstarz is correct on where B12 comes from. Good on her for pointing that out. :)
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I loved being a vegetarian, but I am convinced it's not healthy anymore. There's no known plant source of b12 that your body can absorb, you should be able to get all of your nutrients from food.

B12 vitamin comes from the dirt, the earth. You only get it indirectly from consuming animal products because they are ripping grass up from the roots and absorbing some B12 from the dirt that they ingest along with grazing. You don't get it from plants anymore because the vegetables we eat are so thoroughly washed, not to mention that the conventional method of farming, monoculture and chemicals/pesticides, severely strips the soil of nutrients over a period of time. If you grew all your food in your own garden you would have a much easier time getting enough B12 vitamin from a plant-based diet. Also, if you're vegetarian and consuming dairy, you do get B12 vitamin from the dairy.

Interesting. I knew that the B12 from meat was second hand but I never realised comes from dirt etc.

It's actually more interesting than that! Vitamin B12 is manufactured by bacteria.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I take a bcomplex tablet. Turns my pee highlighter yellow. Teehee
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    B12 remains in the bloodstream for approximately 5 days; in the liver for approximately 12 months.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v198/n4876/abs/198200a0.html

A deficiency of B12 is common in vegetarians who do not take supplements or eat foods fortified with B12.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/nure.12001/abstract?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false