Anyone use their iPhone to monitor Heart Rate?

Options
Does anyone use their iPhone to monitor their Heart Rate with an app? Are they fairly accurate? There are several, is there one that anyone recommends? Perhaps one that will also calculate net calories burned?

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    An iPhone does not have a heart rate monitor attached to it. It doesn't have a way to detect your heart rate to count it - unless there's something new I'm missing.

If you want to track your burns and heart rate, just buy a heart rate monitor with a chest strap.
  • TimTimTimma
    Options
    There are APP's that take advantage of the camera + flash to measure your heart rate by placing your finger over the lens. I've tested a couple tonight, they work. At least they SEEM to, I am not 100%, which is why I am here asking. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasion that I want to know my heart rate, I use my fingers.

They work really well, require no charging, are almost always with me and don't have to be placed in a baggie if it rains. ;)
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Phones are not proper photoplethysmographs, so they don't tend to accurately measure those changes in reflectance, making those apps a less reliable method of heart rate measurement. You're better off getting a stopwatch app, taking your pulse with two fingers at your carotid artery (on your neck) or on your wrist (just below the base of your thumb). Let the stopwatch go for 20 seconds and count how many beats there are in that time, then multiply that by 3.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    no, that doesnt really work. buy a heart rate monitor watch.. (with a strap for best accuracy)