Raw-vegan desserts - beware!

Options
jsip10.jpg

I thought this was really interesting - I made my dad a raw vegan raspberry cheesecake for fathers day. It contains all natural, 'healthy' ingredients - cashews, macadamias, dates, lemon, coconut oil, raspberries, rice malt syrup. The website I got the recipe off advertises it as a guilt-free treat that won't leave you weighed down like the regular version....

However I plugged it into MFP - one slice (1/12 cake) is 576 calories, 43g fat, 48g carbs and 21g sugar! I looked up a regular cheesecake from The Cheesecake Shop and 1/12 of their Strawberry glazed baked cheesecake is only 350 calories.

Don't get me wrong, my cake looks fantastic and I will thoroughly enjoy having a piece tonight but I hope that people don't get fooled by the marketing of "raw-vegan" "natural" "healthy" desserts and think they can eat them with reckless abandon! This has been really eye-opening for me!

Replies

• littlejane91
    Options
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    what's the fiber count between the two?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious, but you're right - just because something is "clean", "natural", "vegan" etc etc doesn't mean it isn't calorie dense. There are plenty of overweight vegans!
  • littlejane91
    Options

the raw vegan cake has 6g per slice, I'm not sure about the 'unhealthy' one.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

The unhealthy one probably has less than 1gram and is probably higher in bad fat since it has cheese and probably egg.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Wow, it looks great!

I would take the calories in the raw vegan version over the standard american diet version any day.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    6g of fiber is pretty awesome for a slice of sweet goodness like cheesecake.

I hear what you're saying about the calories being high, but I also wanted to point out that there are a number of factors to consider..

1/12 is a fraction by which the whole is not determined. 1/12th of what size pie? The nutrient density of your pie is going to be different (and I would say better, but that would depend on somebody's particular nutritional needs.... )

0f77eNc.png?2

tihs slice of pie is 1/16th of a 17oz cake. it's roughly a 1oz slice.

Enjoy your slice.. it is a lovely pie.
  • happyvegan410
    happyvegan410 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know when I eat raw cheesecake I am so filled that there's no way I could eat more than one piece. Even when I make my regular vegan cheesecake I could easily eat three pieces.
  • littlejane91
    Options
    That's really interesting, what is the difference between a raw vegan cheesecake and a regular vegan cheesecake? Just out of curiosity :smile:
  • happyvegan410
    happyvegan410 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A regular vegan cheesecake uses vegan cream cheese, tofu, regular sugar, I use organic sugar but still it's regular sugar. The crust is a traditional graham cracker crust made with margarine and graham cracker crumbs instead of nuts and dates in the raw version, which are high in fat but really good for you, obviously there is no redeeming quality at all in the margarine/graham cracker crust. (This is true with regular cheesecake as well) Then the cheesecake is baked which is a big difference. The sauce on top would also traditionally be thickened with added sugar on the stove top thus killing many of the nutrients in the fruit.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

The unhealthy one probably has less than 1gram and is probably higher in bad fat since it has cheese and probably egg.

Yea, cheese and eggs will kill you. I'm probably already dead.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I'd have to have a side-by-side taste comparison to be able to give an proper comment on this.

I should be home all day today, so...

:wink:
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    it's cheesecake. I don't care how many calories it is. I'm eating it.