Help please

Options
Hello my name is Michaela, my PT suggested I should use myfitnesspal to help me with my weightloss, I am 23 years old weigh in at 85kilos and I am 180cm tall.

I'm really struggling with my diet and weightloss I've lost 3kg in 3 months from doing weightloss/ laxative teas i'm always online looking for a 'quick fix' I used to be really skinny when I was 18-20 weighing in at 60kilos, I miss being so confident and wearing anything and look good, now i'm always depressed full time uni student and overeating.

Is there anything that can help me kick start my weightloss or a metabolism booster?

I really want to lose weight but i'm legit making every excuse in the book not to it's really frustrating my PT is great encouraging me but i'm just always letting myself down, help would be great please.

Thankyou

Replies

• awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Eat good, exercise and the best thing anyone can ever tell you is patience!!!!!!!!!

No time table, no rush, just eat good and exercise and then keep on doing that long term.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Michaela, my PT suggested I should use myfitnesspal to help me with my weightloss, I am 23 years old weigh in at 85kilos and I am 180cm tall.

Is there anything that can help me kick start my weightloss or a metabolism booster?

There are no shortcuts, you are just going to need a bit of willpower.

edit: On a positive note, find out how much you need to eat to lose, start logging, grab a few pals on mfp to keep you on track and just be honest with yourself.
  • fayelobeck89
    fayelobeck89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I kept letting myself down in the beginning and the only way i gained control was by having a bit more will power.

Teaching yourself the power to say know will help you more than any 'quick fix'
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Stop looking for quick fixes, and get rid of the laxative teas.

Log your food, analyse your diary and see where you can make improvements. Repeat.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Ditch the laxative teas and fad diets and learn the permanent lifestyle changes should be implemented in order to achieve prong term success.

MFP has lots of great information and lots of very helpful members, but there's also a lot of misinformation to be aware of.

Here's a couple of great posts for newbies I highly recommend reading:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

Good luck in reaching your goals.
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I was at uni for 4.5 years, finished my masters last year and weighed more than ever at the end. I know exactly what it's like. Here's what I would suggest for eating right while you're studying:

Take an hour a day to prepare your food and ration it out, including a couple of healthy snacks.
    It's too easy to rush out the door and tell yourself you'll make a healthy choice at lunchtime (and/or dinner, depending on your hours). When it comes time to eat you'll probably be starving and feel just like something deep fried followed by something sweet so your insulin locks down all that fat. A little planning goes a long way towards keeping you from getting over hungry and making bad choices. University food courts are full of junk food - if your friends are all going to cruise the food court let them know you got your lunch already and you'll meet them outside.

Carry a water bottle and keep drinking all day.
    This will keep hunger at bay. If you want to be really fancy you can take some herbal tea bags and scout around your department for a kitchenette with instant boiling water.

Find a place which sells some healthy fresh soups and salads for those days you don't have time to make lunch.
    This is your new favourite place.

Manage your time more effectively.
    Late nights and rushed meal breaks set up an environment where you're more likely to be too rushed or too tired to make the choices you should be making. If you have time to get personal training, don't waste the hard work you're doing by undermining it with putting away too many calories.

Log your food.
    Can't stress this enough. Sometimes it's annoying. Do it anyway.

The quick fix is you asking other people to solve your problem.
    You ate your way into this. You have to eat your way out, and no one else is going to do it for you. Anyone pushing a quick fix is trying to take your money and they don't give a crap about what happens to you after you've parted with your cash. Just don't let these people take you for a fool. Take responsibility, do it yourself, maintain it and love yourself enough to take care of your health.
  • jumbojbl
    Options
    Eat clean & lean, don't spend your time searching on web, u r wasting ur time, do some exercise (HIIT - BJJ - Fitness kickboxing - open areas cardio)... u need at least 5 meals/day (BF-Lunch-Dinner + 2 snacks)... ur snake must be tasty, looks nice, contains healthy ingredients ( homemade frozen strawberries + skimmed yogurts ice cream -- multi-grain bread with sugar free peanut butter -- McDonald Grilled chicken salad....)

every 4 or 5 days go for cheat breakfast or post-workout dinner

I was (110 kg) 24 months ago, today Im (76 kg) and I can go up, I can lose more, I eat very well and good amounts.:smile:
    live easy, enjoy ur food. do exercise, love people

GOOD LUCK:wink::smile:
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Your BMI indicates that a 5 kilo loss would put you in the normal range.
    Its not a huge amount and I think getting it off slowly is better in the long run.- it tends to stay off rather than losing it quickly and yo-yoing.
    Calculate your TDEE and eat 10% below - thats just a suggestion or whatever you want.
    Dropping your intake to just a bit below what you would normally eat means that you will more than likely keep it off once its gone.
  • michaelahurstt
    Options
    Thankyou I try to! but its just so frustrating mainly because I am so impatient - i used to have a binge eating disorder which makes this much more difficult - i'm alot better than i was i just wish there was some way to kick start my progress and get some real motivation.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Pit your impatient energy into learning about the MFP approach to weight loss/ diets and getting your mind straight about whats reasonable, sensible and safe approach. If you have unrealistic expectations then you will start with big prpmises and doom yourself to failing.

No quick fixes, know what it is that you are required to do to lose weight and keep it off. You need to get your mind right. You arent that overweight to begin with, so your weight loss isnt going to be massive, in the 1lb < a week range. Someone will post that able which says how much is reasonable to expecct to lose based on your weight. Weight loss isnt linear so you need to be prepared for weeks when you make no progress, but that doesnt mean give up, it just means its stubborn so you need to be determined.

Keep up a safe calorific deficit, supplement this with exercise if possible and if you want body shape then consider doing some weights as it will help you be more defined and fit your clothes nicer.

Cut the laxatives and think more about a steady safe sensible amount of weight loss.
  • michaelahurstt
    Options
    Thankyou so much my exercise is o.k i do 3 PTs a fortnight :) and go for walks 2 times a week too it's just my diet is pretty crappy i usually always skip breakfast and lunch....and eat a big dinner and then binge on junk food or lots of fruit.

I really want to lose weight but I keep letting myself down :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I really want to lose weight but i'm legit making every excuse in the book not to it's really frustrating my PT is great encouraging me but i'm just always letting myself down, help would be great please.

you need to sit down and have areally good think about why you do this to yourself... sabotaging yourself due to low self esteem and feeling like you dont deserve to be thin is common, but you'll struggle to lose weight unless you can figure it out.
  • Cantaloupe321
    Cantaloupe321 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey, I get the quick fixes... but now at 28, they just don't work anymore. I've had the app for awhile, but this is the first time I've ever really used it. It's so helpful, it's great, it makes me actually fallow my diet, I love it! I'd love to have more friends, I'll add you now! And anyone else looking for more friends please feel free to add me too!