51, menopause & weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I am 62.
    Biggest difference is logging everything I put in my mouth and eating less calories than I burn. Making better choices for how I get my calories, mostly from fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protien sources, low fat dairy, low carb.
    You have to find what works for you. Experiment a little and find your success.
    I have found that if I eat over 1600 calories, at my age I will start to gain.
    Good luck, you can do this!

You're my SHERO!!!! :flowerforyou: :smooched: :drinker: :smooched: :flowerforyou:

OP, checkout this link, it's VERY encouraging for people our age struggling with these issues:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/884204-any-menopause-weight-loss-success-stories
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also in the same boat. I am 56, 5' 1" 'tall' and have been overweight through my adult life. I started at 212.8, with n idea of where I wanted to be. I am only 2 pounds away from my goal, but know I need to go down another 5 - 10 pounds to be happy.

I log everything, every day and try to limit my carbs most days to 90 or below. Some days are better than others carb count wise, but I have never gone over my calorie goal.

I started in March and am still a work in progress!! It was fun reading about you ladies and your success!! Please feel free to add me to your friend list is you would like!!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    There is a fantastic bunch of ladies our age on a thread called Women 50+ November, that is in the motivation and support category. Very active and supportive. We discuss all sorts of topics that pertain to our lives and/or weight loss. You should take a look and see if that is up your alley.
  • Long2bme
    Long2bme Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been on bio-identical hormones for over a year and they have certainly helped with the hot flashes.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I will definately check out the over 50 thread.
  • sheilatush
    sheilatush Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies..l am 51 and joined in February this year. Lost 47 pounds,so far.
    I log Everyday and even though l have many friends on my list. I keep in touch with them all.
    Please feel free to add me...
  • libstr
    libstr Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Im 47 and now officially menopausal. have had all the hot flushes and 6 weeks ago i had a mirena put in (for various reasons) now i have no flushes, which is awesome BUT i have put on over 3 kgs which isnt so good...all in the belly. the breast are a bit tender like before a period (can handle that).

I exersize... a lot. i havent changed that, and in fact have ramped up my cycling so probably are doing more. the diet is pretty much the same also.

Im often very hungry in the afternoons which is probably my danger zone.

Im not bothered about gaining the kilos as such, but the inches around the belly is very disturbing..... any ideas?
    thanks
  • summerjewel623
    Options
    Hi there, first post for me. I lost 9 lbs. so far, age 56. Started end of November, 2013. Log often, found myself not logging everything at first and not losing. Logging reveals where I show weakness. Walking as much as possible, taking the stairs regularly. Once I started dropping weight, I got motivated. It is finally working!
  • Kivab042880
    Options
    Hi all I'm 33 started perimenopause when I was 29 can't seem to lose this belly fat I eat right wkout crossfit kickbox any ideas?
  • susanilcheff
    Options
    i am starting to give up 3 days a week I have personal trainer. Breakfast is a few almonds and coffee. lunch a piece of meat and veg. dinner is salad with hummus dressing. I run lift weights. Nothing works. My older boyfriend left me because he no longer found my body attractive. I am 5"7 about 150 lbs..... But there is no way to lose it. dieting exercise. even the weight that is lost is a flat but and a fat stomach......I guess that men don't and wont ever understand it. The few friends that haven't gained weight live on crystal light and tiny , tiny bits of food...and their husbands try to talk them in to getting facelifts...they look terrible too.
  • Wallaby2
    Wallaby2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm 47 and started going through menopause at 42. I've been on MFP off and on for 3 years, and it helped me shed the weight that came on suddenly as my hormones altered. I had a few months off logging, but now back on to improve my nutrition, health and energy levels. I'd love some new friends at a similar life stage to me. Please friend me if you would like to :-)
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    There is a group here called: Over 50 Women's Club

It's pretty active and a very nice bunch of ladies. Many of them have had tremendous success and are so helpful and motivating. You should check it out!
  • Amelia59Bedelia
    Options
    Hi there. I'm 55, also menopausal and feeling frustrated and worried about the slowly increasing weight gain. In my younger years I wanted to lose weight to look better but now I need to do it for health reasons. I was just at the funeral of a female colleague who was three years older than me and who had a massive heart attack. She was a lovely woman and her passing really got to me.

In my mind I keep thinking of myself as younger than I am and with lots of time before I have to worry about getting old and about things like heart disease, diabetes, etc. I've had to face the reality that, while I'm still youthful on the inside, my body isn't!! Luckily, I have no health issues yet but if I keep on the way I have been, my bad habits will quickly catch up to me. I have tried every exercise and diet plan known to man but always find some excuse not to continue. That seems to be the real issue. After the first few days on any plan, when it starts to become work, I give up.

I have updated MyFitnessPal goals and also paid for a premium membership to FitStar. My plan is to religiously keep track of all my food and to start with gym workouts three times a week and walks with the dog on other days. I'm hoping to find a group of friends on MFP that can "talk me off the ledge" when I get discouraged so that I don't give up.

I don't know if this will work and I'm sorry I'm not really answering your question. Thanks for asking it because there are some really helpful people posting answers that I'm finding very motivating. Good Luck!
  • LAH3001
    LAH3001 Posts: 9
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm 49, in perimenopause. I've been aware of exercise/diet all my life, but I've still always had to watch my weight. I've also always gained my weight in my middle, even when I was younger, so I understand how frustrating that can be. I think we as women are judged by our shapes much more harshly than men are. I also think we need to give ourselves a break and be kinder to ourselves, even if the outside world doesn't or isn't.

That said, Pilates is one of the most effective exercise regimes to tighten and pull in the abdomen. A regular program of genuine Pilates (this can be a DVD) , with weight training, cardio, and meditation (which helps the body in so many ways, including weight loss) along with eating really well (mainly vegetables and fruits, lean protein, and low sugar) ought to help reshape your body. It takes time, though. I try to stay patient and focus more on my overall health.
  • welshpoppy
    welshpoppy Posts: 114 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I just turned 50 and peri menopausal and have stalled in weight loss since May no loss at all.It is driving me nuts along with the hot flushes.I just started Evening primrose capsules to see if they help with fatique and flushes.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Me too! Got a lot tougher after 50, injuries stalled my running, sugar-comfort seemed more important than ever, belly fat embraced me (yuck!) and my once-stellar metabolism stopped letting me get away with anything.

I'm 8 weeks on MFP and find the daily logging and tracking very helpful, have had success with both weight loss and ramping up exercise. DETERMINED TO KEEP IT UP, instead of feeling a little better and then STOPPING the behaviors that got me there - so tired of losing 8 gaining 12!!

will send friend requests to recent posters here, anyone else who identifies feel free to friend me.
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Cat, age 54, 5' 2". Belly fat, sucks, true, but I love not having periods! There, I said it.

When I turned 50 I had double hip replacement surgery. The recovery was very painful, and I just sat and sat and sat. And gained weight. Finally I joined a gym doing High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) which is hard, but quick. People said I looked slimmer, but I really didn't lose weight because I wasn't willing to sacrifice my foodie tendencies. That's my entitlement hang-up; my tastebuds are very spoiled.

Then I moved to a new area and didn't work out for a year, until now. I just joined a new gym, again doing HIIT. And today I did my first-ever Spin Class - whew, hard!

So I've come to the conclusion that calorie restriction is my missing piece of the puzzle. I know what to do, it's just a matter of doing it. MFP has been very educational in that regard. Plus I like meeting all you nice people.

-Cat
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the odd one out here. I'm 50 and post-menopausal and strangely enough, had a relatively easy time losing weight after menopause. In the last 2 years, I am down about 30 pounds and am working now on maintaining. I love my early AM workouts (cause I can't seem to sleep anymore). Here are my stats: 50 years old - 5'7" - 120 pounds. Feel free to add me :D
  • babsfit14
    Options
    Hi, I'm 64 and post menopausal and have struggled with my weight big time since hitting the big 50. I only have one bit of advice and that is to never loose sight of the fact that 90% of weight loss is what you put in your mouth. It is very sad but true. I have never been a big exerciser, but I tell myself that's okay because I want to do everyday exactly what I can do everyday for the rest of my life, and that is to walk briskly for about 40 minutes. I have been a weight watcher leader in the past, and I really liked doing that and I might even go back to that at some point, but for right now fitness pal is working for me, because it doesn't matter what plan you are doing the key is journaling, or honestly keeping track of the food that you put into your mouth. It is the key to success in every situation. I have proven this to be true over and over again. Journaling (keeping a food count) is the KEY to success!

You took the words right out of my mouth - I couldn't have said it better, especially your first sentence (well, I'm only 62, but hey). Whose bright idea was it to store fat in our bellies after menopause? Good grief. What I'm doing - consulting with a dietician, journaling my food and exercise, walking more, climbing stairs at work, doing free weights at home, and eating as clean and organic as possible and reducing the overall amount of sugar (in all forms) in my eating. Losing weight slowly but surely and feeling better already.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Long2bme wrote: »
    Hi there, first post for me. I'm looking for the 50 something, menopausal women who are getting the weight off.
    What are you doing differently than you did in your 30's and 40's.

It seems this freak'n belly fat has appeared on my body and I'm having a heck of a time getting rid of it.

I'm 51, 5ft tall, eat clean 85% of the time. My gym is being renovated so exercise is minimal right now.

Unfortunately, what I am doing differently is eating less than I did in my 30's and 40's. Also exercising more which is the fun part!

• karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    Interesting....I'll put my little two cents in :)

I'm 51 and in my last month of P90x (classic schedule)...this is my 2nd round in a row. Started in April. Kept my calories as high as possible with a slight deficit only losing 1 pound per week (sometimes got in what I call a "bonus" pound)....I've lost 30 pounds to-date. Was 183 now 153 = I'm 5'8" tall. My bmi range should be 127-164 pounds. I'm shooting for getting in the 140's.....

Since doing the workouts....NO more "flashes" at all. I eat 40 / 40 /20 for my micronutrients (protein / carbs /fat)....more protein to hold onto my muscles and enough carbs to have energy to get thru the workouts.

I can only speak for myself, but I had to really challenge myself with weights to get things moving at this age....at least that's what I'm finding out. I lift 25 lbs in each arm for example (that took awhile to get to)....do pullups, ab work, leg work, yoga, etc...

We have to up the ante as they say to make the changes for sure...its harder, but its still do-able!

PS:
    Hi, I'm Cat, age 54, 5' 2".
    When I turned 50 I had double hip replacement surgery

Cat, I had a right hip resurfacing done in 2008 (after 3 previous hip surgeries throughout my life)....best thing I every did....no more pain...I suffered every single day!