Help! Any ideas to bump up cals??

Options
I'm really struggling to find what else to eat to even hit the 1200 mark (1390) is goal and then I have 380 or so exercise cals as well which will give me the 'you aren't eating enough' page. Any ideas for small things that can bump it up a bit? I'm not necessarily hungry and I feel like I already eat heaps but I'm thinking 659 remaining cals isn't ideal??
Thanks for any advice ????

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butter, avocados, swap low fat things for full fat things.

What did you eat you make you want to lose weight? Just eat some of that.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you tend to eat low fat or fat free versions of food, switch to full fat. That's an easy way to add calories. I can't see your diary so it's hard to give a more specific answer.
  • disturbed_s
    disturbed_s Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks I've just made diary public (thought it was to be honest) yeah I had thought about switching from lite yogurt etc but then that put the sugar content up too. But thanks for the comments ???? I feel so confused as to know what's the right and wrong thing!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the sugar. The limit mfp gives should really only be for refined sugars, but it counts fruit and milk sugar as well. Just disregard it and eat the full fat version. It's cheaper than weight watchers brand as well ;-)
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    protein shake, high protein diet has really helped me this year
  • disturbed_s
    disturbed_s Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yep I have a protein shake every day at morning tea but would 2 a day be too much?
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Another idea is Cheese. If having a cheese sandwich throw 2 slices on instead of one.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and protein bars.
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Wow, I wish I had your problem! I would happily eat 2,500 calories every day, which is why I needed to lose some weight. My goal is set to 1,520 and some days I eat that, others I eat 1,800+ and burn some off.

As an afternoon snack, I like to have a banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter. That comes to about 200 calories. For another 100, add in a slice of toast (spread the peanut butter on the toast, top with sliced banana, eat the rest of the banana).
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, a handful of nuts, a slice of cheese, use some olive oil in cooking....
  • carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Cook in olive oil, add a snack of nuts, add nuts or cheese (blue, feta, etc) to a salad, use full fat salad dressing, up portion size of protein, add a hard boiled egg to a snack, add creamer to your coffee, have a tablespoon of peanut butter on an english muffin or toast, add avocado to a sandwich, have a treat. Healthy fats are important for your body so don't skimp on those while limiting your calories.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    DSCF1372_thumb1.jpg?imgmax=800
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Milk
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, nuts, fullfat everything. Add icecream to your smoothies.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    One thing I saw in your diary was "one cup of chicken, diced". That won't give you an accurate measurement, and most likely that will be more cals than you logged! Weigh out your chicken on a food scale, and find a database entry that has ounces or grams measurements, and log it there.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    One ounce of pecans is 200 calories.
    The ice cream idea is good too -- but I prefer to keep it out of my house.
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I agree ice cream is good one. eat a small portion of whatever your favorites are
  • boku70
    Options
    Exercise calories don't give you the "not eating enough" warning. As long as you eat 1,200, MFP doesn't care if exercise calories knock you back down. (I burned more than I ate yesterday, but I ate 1,200+, and got no hassle from MFP.)

Certain nuts, such as almonds and pistachios, contain "good" fats and are also relatively high-calorie. I get *very* little fat without them, so try to include at least an ounce or so every day (that I exercise).

Good luck. :-)
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i agree with weighing your food instead of using a liquid measure such as cups. weight of food is far more accurate.

that being said, to up your calories a bit, i would suggest adding whole foods to what you already eat. if you make a sandwich, add an extra slice of cheese (100 cal)
    add a banana to your cereal or protein shake (100 cal)
    eat a granola bar for a snack (such as Lara Bar, Kind Bar, etc.) and that will be an additional 150 cal or so.
    instead of eating "1 cup of chicken" eat 2 cups. (or better yet, measure to the gram or oz. and double it)

i think you would be wise to just add a bit to what you already eat instead of adding a full meal to your day. this way, if you find that you need to cut calories later, you will know exactly where you can trim.

:happy:
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    DSCF1372_thumb1.jpg?imgmax=800

OH MY YUM!