Jerky (Marinade) Recipe

Options
Go_Mizzou99
Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
I make a lot of jerky and have done so for years. I have a very easy marinade recipe for those that are interested. This is my main "go to" recipe and I have used this recipe on everything from beef, turkey deer, dove, and a variety of other game. I prefer a marinade over a dry-rub as it is easily distributed equally over all of the meat.

I have a batch ready to go to a tailgate tomorrow. It will be gone in 15 minutes - guaranteed. Go Tigers!

This marinade for 2.5 to 3 pounds of meat. Too much marinade is better than too little.

20 oz. Kikkoman soy sauce (least salty of them all and best tasting IMHO)
2 oz. liquid smoke - any flavor
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning
1 teaspoon red pepper (make it 2 if you want more than a hint of heat)

I marinade the meat in a gallon Ziploc for at least 12 hours in the fridge. You don't get much more flavor if you marinade longer than 18 hours.

I use a forced fan convection dehydrator. I also recommend making the jerky in your garage as the smell, although
very good, it is very strong (like cooking 20 roasts at once).

FWIW - when making jerky, you will lose about 1/2 of the pre-dried weight in the dehydration process. So, when counting calories, if I use eye of round for jerky...if I eat an ounce of jerky, I will count it is 2 ounces of eye-of-round. Not exact, but has to be OK for a homemade recipe.

Replies

• rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Filing away for future use. This one is pretty close to the one I've used in the past. Main difference is the Mr's Dash ingredient. I usually put mine in the smoker.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I will be doing jerky again this year but I am also gonna try doing sticks. I made summer sausage last year for the first time and it was the bomb! Now to just go kill some deer for some meat!
  • lucy5599
    lucy5599 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    my husband just bought a smoker and wants to make some jerky. This recipe looks to be just what we were looking for! Thank you!
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Last couple of batches of jerky before and after dehydration weights:

They both were eye of round - lean (not marbled with fat at all) and trimmed of all fat

Before: 4.05 lbs
    After: 1.75 lbs

Before: 3.20 lbs
    After: 1.65 lbs

So - for those of you wondering how many calories are in homemade jerky...I would say 1 oz. of lean beef jerky is = 2.0 to 2.3 oz. of the raw, uncooked calories of the meat of choice that you are using