NSV - I ran a mile outside for the very first time!

Options
After a couple of years on my beloved treadmill, I was becoming obsessed with the idea of running a mile outside.

I plotted a loop around my house and picked a time when it would be quiet with few people around.

I am still very heavy and I have never *NEVER* been able to run anywhere except on my treadmill. I'd get terrible shin splints after a few seconds and then stop and walk the rest of the way.

But this morning I am elated to say that I jogged the whole way, even the steep uphill bit. Nobody looked at me in an offputting way and in fact I think a few people were even giving me encouraging looks.

What's more, I ran faster than I have ever ran on my treadmill and got home 3 minutes earlier than I expected.

Can't believe it! Feels great to be getting fit this morning :-)

Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    that's really awesome! congrats, and keep it up :smile:
  • trentnorton
    trentnorton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well done :)
  • JohnH71
    JohnH71 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good for you, that's brilliant, and I am pleased that you are feeling so great about your achievement ~ I hope it spurs you on. I don't know what it is about running outside, but I always get a massive buzz when I complete an outside run that I don't get doing the same distance on the treadmill! :-)
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Reality is rarely as bad as our fears. Well done!
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! Well done! I find running outside passes much quicker than on the treadmill too which is a bonus. It's a fantastic victory - great work!
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! There's a big difference between running outside and using a treadmill. There is no stopping you now!
  • DsSquishy
    DsSquishy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That's a big milestone, and you should be incredibly proud of yourself! Even when I was fit I disliked running outside because I was worried others were looking at me. Either way, amazing progress. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic, congratulations!
  • schulersam
    schulersam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Outside is sooooo much better than treadmill.You burn more calories because your body is responding to uneven ground, up and down curbs, hills, wind etc. Also, way less boring. I like to look at peoples gardens, in shop windows, general scenery. Sometimes you can push yourself by using landmarks...ie. run faster for 1 street light or driveway or keep going until the next block. You have opened a whole new way to get in shape. BRAVO!!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Congrats Keep it up jogging and running is great for you..
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Great stuff!! :D I bet you are beaming from ear to ear and justifiably so!
  • robinschwalb
    robinschwalb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. I want to be able to run, you lose weight faster....
  • jenniferv38
    jenniferv38 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Great job!! That is something you should be very proud of :)
  • jamesh5241
    Options
    That's awesome! Keep at it, I find running super addictive and once you get into it you'll find there's actually a good running community out there! Just don't do too much too soon.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Nice work!
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I know that feeling of not wanting people to watch you. I just had to suck it up and do it. Keep it up!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    "in fact I think a few people were even giving me encouraging looks"

Congrats! Remember the above. Even the elite type runners I work with encourage people of all abilities and sizes to keep up running or to start. I don't know of anyone who who looks down on others running.

Keep it up. It is a great feeling.
  • BecomingPremsar
    BecomingPremsar Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!!
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! Good for you!

FWIW, whenever I see people outside running, especially ppl who are overweight, I a) wish I was running too and b) want to jump out of my car and cheer them on! I find it very inspiring because I know how hard it can be for me, and I am in pretty good shape. Don't worry about what people think. I guarantee more than half of them are impressed rather than judgmental.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's a great NSV.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!