exercise bike for up to 20 stones (280lbs)

Options
Can anyone recommend an exercise bike for a heavier weight? I am in the UK.

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    John Lewis have a good range.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Do you want a bike that actually moves? Or a stationary bike?

For a bike I recommend that you go to your local bike store. Bike frames are surprisingly sturdy. The main thing to worry about is the tires/wheels. Get yourself some tires that can handle more psi, and wheels with more spokes.

I'm 300+ and I can ride my Trek road bike with no issues. Although I do break spokes more often than I should.
  • EvelineUK
    Options
    I'm a lot heavier than I should be and decided to go for a recumbent bike, for two reasons: if the thing breaks, I'm nearer to the floor, and it has a wider seat so my bum doesn't get sore just from using it. ;);)

There is a huge range out there, it really depends on how much space you have to put the bike and how much you're willing to spend. Have a look on Amazon and be sure to check maximum user weight. I'd show you the one I got from XS Sports on Amazon, but it's currently unavailabe so that wouldn't help anyway... typical. ;)
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Excercise bike? I know Argos have weight limits publised in all their catalogues.

I'd buy a secondhand one though. They change hands for about 1/10 of their original value.

If it's a rideable bike you want, get an old mountain bike without suspension, then have it serviced but be prepared to spend more on wheels. You want them handbuilt, 36 spoke, with thicker spokes on the driveside on the back wheel. It will be expensive but cheaper in the long run as you won't be paying shops to fix your wheel.
  • BooAndKitty
    Options
    If its an exercise bike check retail sites, I got a York Fitness bike on-line for £299 (parents bought me it) and it goes up to 22 stone (I'm 19 stone) so yeah. You need to do your research to see what's available or ask the person whos selling the actual name of the bike.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I bought a Lemond Revmaster they can handle weights way over what you are requiring. I got mine off of Craig's list for $350 and they retail for around $1200. I second the comment of buying it used. A lot of people buy them and then they just turn into a place for them to hang their clothes. So they get rid of them. Good luck. Spinning is an important part of my training. I mix it up with a lot of other things, but I love to spin.
  • icetopaz
    icetopaz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies - TylerJ - yes, it's a stationery bike that I'd like.

BooandKitty that sounds like a good bike, but unfortunately its a bit high in price for me.

Still searching ....