Frustrated with Maintenance

Options
Hello all,

I have been logging for almost 2 years! I went all out the first 18 months and lost 60 pounds. I was eating 1350 calories a day and have a pretty active job in a hospital where I walk on average 5 miles a day. I work out with weights and elliptical sporadically due to my busy work life and three kids. The weight fell off fast at first and then steadily down to only a quarter pound or so a month. I was OK as long as I was not gaining. Then came reaching my goal. When I increased my calories to 1550 for maintenance I started gaining weight. I am hungry and only eating 1500 calories and gaining still. I have now gained 12 pounds back and I have to stop this now but I am hungry everyday. I can't live on the 1350 calories a day!! I think that working out allowed me to still have those bigger meal days but now that my schedule is curbing the workout it is not working out. I know that I need to try to get back in the gym but it is so hard after working 12 to 14 hours a day and already having walked 5 or more miles and climbed multiple flights of stairs. I have a one hour commute and I just drive by that gym when I am so tired already. Any advice? Support? Suggestions?

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    It turns out that my maintenance calories are only 60 calories more than my weight loss calories and if I want more food, I can earn it with extra exercise. You need to find your balance. It takes a while to learn what works for you using trial and error. You can also grant yourself extra calories earned with exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight on 1500 calories with that activity...then I'm going to suggest that you're eating more than 1500 calories. It's normal to put on a few pounds of glycogen weight when going to maintenance, but that should only be about 3-5 Lbs or so...if you've gained 12 Lbs then you're eating more than you think you are or you're just fooling yourself.
  • Shuleran
    Shuleran Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    cwolfman, you are probably right. I was religious about logging for 18 months-- even down to a breath mint. Now I "eyeball' my servings more often than I get out the measuring cups. I sometimes dont count Lifesavers or mints and the calories can add up fast. I need to re-committ to being very aware of what passes the teeth. I have also found myself slipping back into the "bad day--you deserve it" mentality. You think you have those demons licked but they are always lurkning right there.

Katia49, I would not be suprised if my maintenance is pretty close to my losing weight calories too. I must exercise to earn the treat!
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    cwolfman, you are probably right. I was religious about logging for 18 months-- even down to a breath mint. Now I "eyeball' my servings more often than I get out the measuring cups. I sometimes dont count Lifesavers or mints and the calories can add up fast. I need to re-committ to being very aware of what passes the teeth. I have also found myself slipping back into the "bad day--you deserve it" mentality. You think you have those demons licked but they are always lurkning right there.

Katia49, I would not be suprised if my maintenance is pretty close to my losing weight calories too. I must exercise to earn the treat!

Self awareness is a powerful thing. Good for you! I expect you'll notice a difference very soon. :-)

I decided at the beginning of this journey (down 59lbs since March 2014) that I was unwilling to make changes to lose weight that would be difficult to maintain for the rest of my life. What that means has been a learning process along the way and I've made more than a few adjustments. I expect there will be more adjustments between here and goal and even more when I move into maintenance.

Thank you for sharing your struggle and allowing the rest of us to grow with you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I agree, you're probably eating way more than you think you are. Even using measuring cups is inaccurate. I suggest you get a food scale and weigh everything
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You've done well to lose 40+ pounds already.

Since you say you get hungry - I learned that carbs make me hungry. If I eat fat or protein or both, instead of the bread rice grain potato chips candy sugar, then the hunger is long-delayed. Then losing weight really became automatic.

It is a fundamental change of life for me. I'll admit it was not easy to break the habits of breakfast cereal and lunch sandwich burger french fries. But now I control the hunger, not the other way around.

The first thing I would do is eat meat and fat in the morning (like eggs sausage and cheese). That means no juice or cereal. I could have juice and cereal for dinner if I wanted, but I felt I was better off eliminating them. When I need something between meals then nuts are more satisfying than chips and bars.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I would really suggest using your log as a tool to figure out which foods you're eating are high calorie but you don't really care about. Then substituting. I did then when I lost and I carried those habits over into maintenance.

For me, it was bread, big glasses of milk, nuts, and figs. I dropped bread and substituted low carb tortillas for lunch (60 calories), small glasses for big ones (100 instead of 400) and that basically got me my deficit. I stopped snacking on the nuts and fits on our pantry door.

Your diary may tell you something different. But those small changes made my calories easy to stick to - and mine were at 1230 when I was losing.
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just want to comment that your loss is inspiring 12 lbs or no.

Also it's really great to see someone ask for advice and opinions on here and listen to and appreciate the responses! No excuses just a group of people trying to solve an issue! I guess that's why you guys are success stories!
  • kageyama48
    Options
    I used to weigh 118 but because of my weights class at school I'm 121
    Why is it that when I change it on my fitness app it only changes the fat and carbs not protein
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I have kept my weight off about the same amount of time as you and it has been doable. I do eat a lot of protein, beans, soup, yogurt. It seems that if I eat filling foods with lots of protein I am not ever hungry. I use to eat a lot of salads and fruits but was always hungry.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    lift weights to gain the muscle you most ilkely lost while eating so little and exercising or walking so much during your losing phase.

you hear about it on here all the time..how lean muscle is lost. when one under eats and over excercises which.slows the metabolism..so when one gest to goal you have to starve or gain. and they most always regain.

oh yeah…and eat more protien as you build muscle. google that and find out where you need to be..