No bread -pasta - muffins etc - no weight losss

Options
I have not lost one pound, anyone else try this?

I eat plenty of meat, salads, fruit and vegetables

Replies

• therealklane
    therealklane Posts: 2,172 Member
    Options
    No. I eat pretty much what I want. Just more appropriate portion sizes or cooked in healthier ways. I've lost 90 lbs this way (and with exercise of course). If I plan to eat it for the rest of my life (which I do. I love my breads, pastas, and rice), I'm not going to cut it out. I'm going to find a way to incorporate it into my new lifestyle, I'm just going to find better ways to do it. :)

ETA: food scale is a great investment because even if you think you're eating appropriate portions of fruits/veggies/meats, you may still be over estimating and over eating.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    So you are eating at or above your tdee in meat fruits and veggies. It's not hard to do. Shrug*
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty grim. Just eat normal foods at a calorie deficit. you do not need to deprive yourself or make yourself miserable. I eat all those things you don't and I've managed to lose a wee bit of weight. Have a look at the link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    So, I just went away for three weeks for work.
    I ate at least one fast food meal a day, several restaurant meals (and I mean burgers, not salads), enjoyed the odd timbit etc. I haven't done my official weigh in, but last night after I got home (stopped for wings and beer with my bf to celebrate), fully clothed I stepped on a scale and weighed less than I did when I left.
    You can eat just about anything and lose weight, it's all about calories in and calories out. It doesn't matter for weight loss what those calories are made of, though for health I'd argue it does.

If you're eating "plenty" of meat, salads, fruit and vegetables, you're probably eating more calories than you need still, or you're in-taking more sodium than you think you are, retaining water from working out, etc. Your diary isn't open, so no one can really provide any targeted feedback.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I have not lost one pound, anyone else try this?

I eat plenty of meat, salads, fruit and vegetables

But are you eating less than you burn? Just because you eat healthful foods doesn't mean you're gong to lose weight.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    No. I eat pretty much what I want. Just more appropriate portion sizes or cooked in healthier ways. I've lost 90 lbs this way (and with exercise of course). If I plan to eat it for the rest of my life (which I do. I love my breads, pastas, and rice), I'm not going to cut it out. I'm going to find a way to incorporate it into my new lifestyle, I'm just going to find better ways to do it. :)

This. Now that i know this...I'm succeeding. I always failed thinking I had to starve myself, go on a fad diet, or deprive myself.

Now I'm happy eating what I want, exercising and strength training. I love it. All thanks to MFP and the people on here I finally heard loud and clear!
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options

^This... with one exception, I eliminated sugar as much as possible. I eat nothing with processed sugar, but yes I do have a sweet tooth so I consume sugar substitutes. This has helped me reverse my Type 2 Diabetes and lose 90 pounds. I do consume natural sugars in fruit and veggies, it is unavoidable, I just limit consumption to lower sugar food items.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    @therealklane, I wish everyone at MFP would read your post.
    Low carb website forums are full of people who can't lose weight or stall because they believe calories don't count. I was one of them.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    If you are eating high volumes of fruit and veg you could be toxing out on salicylate. This can cause all manor of issues which will probably contribute to thyroid issues. Read the Salicylate Sensitive website. For some there is a thin line between salicylate sensitivity and actual toxicity similar to aspirin poisoning. One of the thyroids many responsibilities is regulating the detoxing processes within our bodies so this can all contribute to thyroid issues. Try reading from the "Stop the thyroid Madness" site too.

I discovered the salicylate/thyroid connection on the UK Thyroid support site when I did a search trying to second guess my problems.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Then you're eating more than you burn
  • therealklane
    therealklane Posts: 2,172 Member
    Options

^This... with one exception, I eliminated sugar as much as possible. I eat nothing with processed sugar, but yes I do have a sweet tooth so I consume sugar substitutes. This has helped me reverse my Type 2 Diabetes and lose 90 pounds. I do consume natural sugars in fruit and veggies, it is unavoidable, I just limit consumption to lower sugar food items.

I definitely understand your need to cut out processed sugar. Way to go! Awesome job on the loss :) I still have my days where I have candy/processed sugar, as you can see from my diary, but it is nothing like it was before. I have a bag of gummy bears that remains unopened that I've had for a month or more. I just don't want it like that anymore. It was an addiction, truly. I still log when I do have it to keep myself accountable. No reason to fib about my occasional candy splurges. :) Hehe.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food with a food scale? If not, you are overestimating how many calories you are consuming.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options

This. Now that i know this...I'm succeeding. I always failed thinking I had to starve myself, go on a fad diet, or deprive myself.

Now I'm happy eating what I want, exercising and strength training. I love it. All thanks to MFP and the people on here I finally heard loud and clear!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Hell no. I eat bread and pasta several times a week, and just made a big batch of sweet potato muffins. Weight loss is about calories, not bread, pasta, or muffins.
  • fire7ice
    Options
    If you keep within your daily calories you should lose weight. Preferably losing it slowly 1-2 lbs a week.
    Even healthy foods can stop you losing weight if you eat too much of them. You don't have to eat just healthy food to lose weight - you can treat yourself now and again. You can lose weight without exercising too as long as you keep within your daily calories.
    Portion size matters aswell.
    Good idea to weigh stuff for a while to get an idea of calories in the sizes of things.
    And if you exercise, I read somewhere that muscle and fat actually weigh the same - so exercise can't be a reason for the scale not moving.
    So more than likely down to portion size, miscalculating calories of things, going over your calories.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You are mistaking the idea of eating a healthy range of foods(assuming it is healthy) against the idea of eating at a calorie deficit, which is the fundamental requirement to lose weight, which everyone is telling you. If you join MFP you cannot get away from this reasoning of simply eating less than you burn for weight loss.