Mock Rice - Low Calorie Rice Substitute!

Options
Cauliflower rice is the perfect low calorie substitute.

Take 4 or 5 florets of fresh cauliflower
Mash or stick in a food processor until similar size as rice
Stick them in a microwavable bowl and cover with cling film
Blast on full power for 7 minutes.

Don't add any water, theres enough water in the cauliflower already.

The mock rice carries the sauces just like rice does, but with only 40 calories per portion.

Replies

• VelvetAndLace
    Options
    May have to try this, thanks!
  • wildrose53
    wildrose53 Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I've grated the cauliflower and fried it with some other veggies and a little soy sauce. It's delicious!
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    yes, this is delicious. I have made it several different ways and love it every time! I never used to like cauliflower!!!!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. Must try this because I love anything with cauliflower..
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    vdstrbd.gif
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Love this substitute, and the mock fried rice recipe sounds amazing! Thanks for posting.
  • mliles201
    Options
    Will definitely try this! Thanks! I already use squash ribbons instead of pasta in many dishes. This will be a great addition.:smile:
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love cauliflower rice and have it regularly. If I'm serving it with Chinese food i add some 5 spice powder and grated ginger. For curry i add some coriander and cummin seeds to the pan I'm dry frying the cauliflower in. I use courgette ribbons too, insted of past when i have meatballs.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I anticipate gifs. Probably with cats.

pet-sixth-sense-1.jpg
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    wut?
    c4f.gif
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here scoff at the idea of substitutions, but I see nothing wrong with being creative, especially for those days you might not have the macros for real rice. :)

That being said I use cauliflower rice in stir fries with zucchini, mushrooms, sugar snap peas. There's lots of yummy low cal sauce recipes on google and pinterest too.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower is one of those things that seems to taste different if you use it in different shapes. Cauliflower flowerets are good but for some people taste too strong. It tastes much milder ground up into rice before you cook it. Mash it after you cook it and it tastes different yet again.
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Interesting idea - might try it out on my boyfriend who normally won't eat cauliflower.

Any tips for cooking it without a microwave?
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here scoff at the idea of substitutions, but I see nothing wrong with being creative, especially for those days you might not have the macros for real rice. :)
    I was thinking the same thing. I'm glad this thread has gotten this far without that kind of criticism. I like rice but a substitute is good too.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Interesting idea - might try it out on my boyfriend who normally won't eat cauliflower.

Any tips for cooking it without a microwave?

I just saute it
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    http://paleomg.com/pumpkin-cashew-coconut-curry-coconut-rice/

Had this for dinner tonight 545 cal per servings. So good!

I usually steam the whole head of cauliflower in chicken broth until fork tender then "rice" it in the food processor.
  • SerendipitySkye
    SerendipitySkye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You are right....it is so good!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I do this, but I tend to mix it with some actual rice. I also use cauliflower to supplement potato in mashed potato, and to supplement pasta in a pasta bake.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Ok I am going to try this !

Question, would it reheat ok the next day? so if I made some and took leftovers the next day to work would it still be ok???