TOPIC: Sets/Reps/Weight for maximum size gain?

Options
Normally I do pyramid sets with 3 sets with 12 reps with low weight, 10 with high weight, and 8 with heavy weight. Some of my friends told me to do 5x5 with heavy weight, while some told me to keep doing pyramid sets but raise my weight and lower my reps. Another told me to do 4x6. How many sets/reps and how much weight should I do for gaining the most mass? Is the amount of sets/reps/weight different if I want to gain mostly strength rather than mass?

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that 5x5 is more of a strength programme. Hypertrophy is in the 6-12 range (?!) so what your doing ATM is probably more suitable for growth than 5x5.

I work in the strength range myself so you'll probably get better advice from the guys who are bodybuilding.

Edit: obviously your diet will be more important than what rep range you're working in - have you got your surplus and macros on point?
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    To build the most mass volume is important.
  • hasnainb
    Options
    It's my understanding that 5x5 is more of a strength programme. Hypertrophy is in the 6-12 range (?!) so what your doing ATM is probably more suitable for growth than 5x5.

I work in the strength range myself so you'll probably get better advice from the guys who are bodybuilding.

Edit: obviously your diet will be more important than what rep range you're working in - have you got your surplus and macros on point?

Yes, I have my diet perfectly managed