Too much fiber! Help!

Options
Hi everyone!

I read yesterday that too much fiber in your diet can actually make you gain weight because it retains a lot of water. Is that true?

I know some fiber is crucial to weight loss, but I'm unintentionally eating foods with lots of fiber (just cause I like them!) and now I'm worried I'm getting too much and it might hinder my weight loss.

Can someone help set me straight about too much fiber, and how to be more conscious of it in different types of foods?

Thanks!

Lauren

Replies

• anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The "extra weight" you might "gain" from retaining water in fibre will very quickly become poop. Don't worry about that.

The more fibre in your diet, the fuller you feel after meals.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    35 grams a day is recommended.

Too much fiber could lead to poor absortion of minerals, but usually your fiber has just has much minerals in it so not usually a concern.

Fiber can cause gas, but you can get used to that after a while.
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    That's silly. Even if fiber retains water, it's just going right out of your body anyway. Don't pay that "advice" any mind.
  • KatieWunder
    Options
    We just started with this awesome trainer in our town who has helped all sort of my friends drop the lbs. She says 25 to 35 grams a fiber a day is a must while dieting. Are you going more than that?
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Fiber can cause gas, but you can get used to that after a while.

NEVER! LOL!!
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    35 grams a day is recommended.

Is that for a 2,000 calorie diet?
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Heh. Yes, fiber does absorb water and could make you see a higher number on the scale but it's not real weight. You flush it down the toilet! The benefits of getting plenty of fiber far "outweigh" the false reading on the scale.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Too much fiber won't make you gain weight as long as you're staying within your allotted calorie count, but too much fiber will give you ferocious gas.
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Sorry if it was a silly question! I'm probably getting around 25 grams a day, for a 1200 calorie/day diet. I appreciate all your input!
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Sorry if it was a silly question! I'm probably getting around 25 grams a day, for a 1200 calorie/day diet. I appreciate all your input!

The fact that you're questioning it means you're not silly. :wink:
  • trudypickles
    Options
    I agree with the very sensible reply's you have already recieved....so nice to be part of such a supportive website, its great, everything in moderation i think, even when restricting calories its got to be balanced and satisfying...(to a degee...I for one could always eat more) I started my diet on Friday so not even a week yet but I am noticing the difference....and I allow myself the odd glass or two of wine included in my allowance of course.... Good luck xx