I'm skinny and weak. I want to be strong! (female)

Options
I am an 18 year old girl and I am slim and pretty weak. I love the UFC and would love to join MMA but I'm just so scrawny and weak! I'm only 4'11 and about 98 lbs. I want to gain muscle and learn how to fight but I don't even know where to start. I can hardly lift 10 lb weights, I'm seriously that weak and it makes me upset. Can anyone help guide me?

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Join a ufc gym.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If that is your goal, it might be better to seek out a personal trainer or talk to the martial arts instructors you are working with to see if they have any recommendations.

For generic lifting advice, I'd look into Stronglifts, Starting Strength, Strong Curves, or AllPros.

Here are also a few sites that have a lot of great articles and studies in regards to training, bulking/cutting, muscle gains, etc.

bodyrecomposition.com/

body-improvements.com/

bretcontreras.com/
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Join a ufc gym.

tumblr_inline_nc0o0od72A1qcari4.gif
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere! The difference between the weak and the strong is, the strong don't let where they start at stop them from pushing for what they want!

Just lift! The weight doesn't matter as long as it goes up in #of times lifted or #of lbs lifted. You will be surprised at how your body will rise to the challenges you give it!
  • emculp1
    emculp1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Until you get around to a gym or club, I recommend that you check out www.reddit.com/r/xxfitness

It's a reddit thread for women who want to get strong. They are very motivational and informative. Check it out!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most of those gyms have some type of trial. Just go try it (if only for the cardio kickboxing). It seems to be something you like to do. Try it once and make a decision from there. You'll see what you have to do next.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Join a ufc gym.

That's crazy talk.

OP - buy some comic books that involve super heros, practice their moves, drink lots of protein shakes, and do Zumba or something in front of your TV. You'll be fierce!
  • DMSavoia
    DMSavoia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Join a MMA type gym :) everyone starts out weak! It takes time with proper food, training and a lot of dedication. I'm happy for your interest at a young age. I wish I started fitness earlier. Most of my favorite fitness athletes started out at your age or younger. You can do it!!!
  • lilacmeddow
    lilacmeddow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a redditor... just discovered it. I'll check that one out Thanks!