My first 5K!

Options
I've never been a runner. I never enjoyed it, and only did it when necessary like running to catch a bus. Earlier this year, near the start of my MFP journey, I discovered the Color Run (I hate writing that word without the 'u' but it's a company name...what you gonna do?) and thought it looked awesome! Before I could change my mind, I signed up for it. At this point, I remembered how much I hated to run, but I decided to try it.
On the 24th June, I started to run. I ran for 10 minutes - managing to do a mile - and I was knackered by the end of it, but found myself strangely enjoying it. Maybe it was the fact I didn't have teachers forcing me to do it, or having other people around me beating me. It was just me, my music and a run. On the 27th June, I went again, and pushed myself to run for 13 minutes at the same 10 min mile pace. I was impressing myself at this point, and kept it going.
Through the weeks, I managed to increase my pace, managing a 9 min mile at one point - but mostly maintaining around 10 minutes per mile, and increasing the time I would run, from 10 mins, to 15, to 22 minutes. I did feel a bit disheartened that I had never managed to run a full 5K on any of my jogs, but I didn't mind too much - I was running!
So Saturday 20th September came along, and I was ready. I was running with 5999 other people, on a beautiful sunny day. At 11am, I started. I ran, happier than any other run I've ever been. At the 1K point, I was covered in pink paint powder, 2K blue, 3K yellow and 4K orange. The only part I walked was at the halfway point where water was given out. I walked maybe 0.5K while I drank it, then carried on running. I crossed the finish line 27 minutes after I started - a time I was amazed at. I celebrated my achievement by dancing and throwing paint for over an hour - such an amazing experience and one I would recommend to any one!
I never thought I'd be a runner, but after the Color Run 2014, I will keep on running!

IMG_4306_zpsd19e8e82.jpg
IMG_4329_zpsa7c41306.jpg
IMG_4334_zps907f5737.jpg
FullSizeRender_zpsb752efe8.jpg

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Doing the Color Run or Run or Dye is one of my goals. I'd like to do Warrior Dash some day. :happy:

Congrats on doing it and enjoying it! Starting off with a 10 minute mile is awesome too! :drinker:
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    FANtastic
  • Juliemoo1960
    Juliemoo1960 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That is a brilliant achievement. Well done.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Yay for you!!! I've run one 5K on July 4. On Sept 27 (the day before my 60th birthday) I am running in the Color Run with my 16 and 20 year old nieces and two of my good friends. It sounds like so much fun. I can't wait. I too never cared to run, but watched my niece in a 1/2 marathon and got caught up in the "aura" of it all. Quite contagious.
    I don't track my speed - I'm slower than slow, all I care about is finishing and keeping my body active - and....if there's fun involved that's even better!!!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :drinker:

I did a 5K yesterday too. Technically my second one, but the one I did last year was a disaster and I took a wrong turn, so I'm not really counting it. My goals were to run all of it (last year I started out too fast and walked about 1/3 of it), do it in under 40 mins (36:17 - my own runs were in the 37 min range so I'm happy with this) and not to be dead last. It was a small 5K, my subdivision does one to raise money for a charity and there were about 150 people. I was happily not last and amazed when I passed some people younger than me.

It was nice to check this off my 2014 goals list.
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Great job!
  • ImpracticalGirl
    ImpracticalGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Awesome:drinker:
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful and a really great time!
  • bubblesl40
    bubblesl40 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I experienced my first 5K on Friday. I wanted to finish under 40min (I still walk too much). I finished in 39:29, woo-hoo. Looking forward to my next October 25th.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    congrats!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Great job! Thanks for posting :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of running races, you will now be hooked and run in many many more. :bigsmile: Great time and congrats on your first 5K!!!!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I experienced my first 5K on Friday. I wanted to finish under 40min (I still walk too much). I finished in 39:29, woo-hoo. Looking forward to my next October 25th.

Great job!
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :drinker:
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    awesome!! congrats!!
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Love the pics. I did a zombie themed 5k on Saturday. Definitely wanna try one of the color themed ones they look like so much fun :)
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Great job! I ran in the 4pm race at Brighton! It was not my first 5K, but it was the first one I signed up for back in May - so it was technically the one that got me started! It was fantastic fun, would highly recommend. :)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Congrats and great job!! One's first 5k is always special.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You know the only problem with running your first 5K?

It's the gateway drug to more 5Ks and then longer distances. ;)

Congrats! And welcome to the club!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That looks like lots of fun. I am still running like Tim Conway as the old man. So from someone way far behind you, that's awesome!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!