vegan/vegetarians. need help choosing a few items.

Options
babybellyfat
babybellyfat Posts: 1,102 Member
HI all, Im still learning on what to eat and what not to eat. Im lacto ovo vegetarian. I would like to know.. What products is it Vegan/.... friendly Safe to buy and eat?

What salad dressing brand is ok to eat with your salad? any brand? which one?

Replies

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I use straight up hummus instead of dressing on my salad. It's super easy to make, but recently I have been buying the red pepper one.

I also make my own oil/vinegar dressing that is pretty tasty, but can be higher in calories because of the oil. Depending on my fat content for the day, I will use one or the other.

There are lots of good homemade dressings in the Forks Over Knives cookbook. I have tried a couple and they are tasty, but for me I wouldn't do this everyday.

I always make sure to have some processed veggie food for when I'm in a bind. I ate Gardein burgers the other day because I didn't have my grocery shopping done and pizza was not a suitable backup. Morning Star farms also has a bunch of good ones. I have been trying to save at least one meal per week as a backup, but so far I have been eating almost everything. When you have time though, whip up some extra food that freezes well and keep something in the freezer that you like (this is key) for when you need something quick.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    wait. are you a lacto/ovo vegetarian or a vegan?
    Also simpe dressing: oil and balsalmic viniger.
  • missraii90
    Options
    The kraft fruilegu ones are vegan. And they're really tasty. But there's sugar in them so I like to switch between those and balsamic/apple cider vinegar and clubhouse "Greek seasoning". It makes everything delicious.
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    im lacto ovo vegetarian. but i do want to be a vegan some day so i try to avoid a few things.
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    are these the ones u were saying?? and they are all vegan friendly ??

http://www.genuinejenn.com/2013/04/new-kraft-fruit-veg-salad-dressings.html

which one taste the best?
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    how about maple syrup is it vegan friendly? rather then honey//
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    When an product that say no artificial flavours or colours. does that mean its vegan friendly?

KRAFT FRUIT & VEG DRESSINGS
    KRAFT Fruit&Veg Dressings are made from finely blended fruits & vegetables and are made with no artificial flavours or colours.

Fruit&Veg Berry Balsamic

Fruit&Veg Garlic Parmesan With Roasted Cauliflower

Fruit&Veg Fire Roasted Tomato With Basil

Fruit&Veg Roasted Yellow Pepper Garlic and Lime
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    mm i love hummus i never put it in a salad thanks for the tip and reply :)
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    This list has been a godsend when I'm making shopping lists and meal plans!

http://www.peta.org/living/food/accidentally-vegan/
  • imacat69
    imacat69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just a tip: MorningStar Farms items are actually no longer vegan. I know a lot of people are trying to get it back to vegan, but currently it has dairy and eggs in it :(. Boca and Gardein fake meats are awesome though, my favorite at the moment is the Gardein fake turkey cutlets with gravy, soo yummy :). Also, that peta link that was posted is really helpful, they also have a bunch of recipes on there as well.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't buy salad dressings anymore but there are some specialty ones in the refrigerator section for creamy kinds. And store bought oil & vinegar dressings are usually OK. Try making your own dressing at home to ensure it is vegan.

For my own salads: I am big on tomatillo dressings or avocado blended with lemon and spices.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    When an product that say no artificial flavours or colours. does that mean its vegan friendly?

No, not at all. "Natural flavors" means nothing, either. If not labeled as vegan friendly, sometimes the only way to know is to call or email the company.
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    Thank you all so much!! Im still looking into salad dressing.. Does anyone make any vegen/tarian friendly salad dressings?
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    i know honey is not vegan because it comes from bees but how about maple syrup???
  • MrsBAT
    MrsBAT Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i know honey is not vegan because it comes from bees but how about maple syrup???

As far as I know, pure maple syrup IS vegan friendly. Another option is agave nectar, which tends to taste a lot like honey in my experience (there are also flavored kinds, like blueberry, maple, etc.)
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    thanks so much!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    This list has been a godsend when I'm making shopping lists and meal plans!

http://www.peta.org/living/food/accidentally-vegan/

I make my own dressings so I am no help to you there.

Check out the link above.
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    what kind of dressing do you make??
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I made a new salad dressing the other day and loved it. In a blender put one cup cashews, one cup water and blend for a minute or two. This makes a nice cashew cream which you can then spice up however you like. I added about 1/2 cup to a cup of carrot juice and wow, this was delightful! You can use it as a salad dressing or over cooked veggies like steamed broccoli. My husband and I loved it. Of course if you don't have any carrot juice or don't like it for whatever reason, you can add garlic to make a creamy garlic dressing. Or whatever spices you enjoy. Give it a try!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    what kind of dressing do you make??

Green goddess from barefoot contessa on food network. Only i sub olive oil for the mayo.

I will sometimes make a miso sriracha miso dressing.

Start experimenting with adding garlic and spices to your basic oil an vinegar dressing. There is no end to the possibilities. Really, you can use anything.

Mix together some balsamic and maple syrup.

I also make and avo dressing with, miso, turmeric and garlic.

You can thin hummus out with a little water...

Keep experimenting with your ingredients. I haven't purchased store bought dressing in years.