cheap healthy snacks

Options
About two to three days out of the week I have two extra kids here, you wouldn't think they would eat much, but I've noticed that we are going though a ton of snack foods. I buy extra fruit and vegetables to snack on but it can get expensive, I only give them two snacks a morning and an afternoon. Anyone got any other ideas of some healthy snacks that might be a bit cheaper.

Replies

• karen415
    Options
    what about the old fashioned making Jello, sugar free, cheap and 0 calories!!!!!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    or tortilla's and salsa....
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    juice popsicles?
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    what about the old fashioned making Jello, sugar free, cheap and 0 calories!!!!!!

+1 plus they are kids, buy the 40 cent no name stuff rather than $1 Jello brand ;)
  • Michelle69
    Options
    Microwave popcorn is cheap and not to un healthy. Also pretzels are less expensive then chip and are better fo you. Making ccokies is cheap but very tempting for you.Making frozen slushis is great as well.
  • jodielee3
    Options
    Add fat free cool whip to that jello
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes, string cheese (kids love these), jello, oranges (usually pretty cheap)
  • s_hamm_08
    s_hamm_08 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! I will be going shopping this weekend for some new snacks.
  • smileyface45
    smileyface45 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I got this one from Hungry Girl ....... wrape a dill pickle with a slice of deli turkey
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    My new favorite snack is a jonathan apple, washed and sliced, with an ounce of 1/3 less fat cream cheese (spread a little on each slice). My 3-year-old stole some of mine last night, so it's clearly a kid-pleaser as well. :laugh: All told it's about 120 calories if you eat the whole thing yourself, and it's very filling.