cant seem to get enough protein in my diet

Options
MFP says I need like 90+ grams of protein. I cant seem to get that much into my diet no matter how hard I try(without going over my calories). There is only so much beans,PB,chicken,etc that I can eat. I get tired of the same things over and over as well.I dont really want to start using my whey protein again(dont really like the taste too well now). what else can I do? Im trying to build muscle too as well as lose the weight I need to lose. I am keeping under my calories without trying basically. The protein though just isnt adding up.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Meat
    Tuna
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Cottage cheese
    Some veggies (including the magical fruit)
    Some pastas
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Something completely different, saw it on "Chopped": Cricket Flour

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2014/04/cricket-flour-baking-mixes.html
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Zero fat Greek Yoghurt. Low calorie but loads of protein. I am a vegetarian and it keeps my protein up :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    walnuts, pecans, pinto beans, sunflower seeds, spinach, chia seeds, broccoli, soy milk
  • stephiedee23
    Options
    Tuna, eggs and cottage cheese are all really easy ways that I bump up my protein.

And chicken doesn't need to be boring...use different cuts, not just the breast. Stirfries, wraps, soups, stews, burritos, salads, sandwiches, curries, tacos, chili...endless combinations.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I do eat some nuts but I end up going overboard eating them, I do eat veggies but I cant handle them several times a day. I cant tolerate soy anything.I eat greek yogurt.I dont eat a lot of meats because we cant afford it,I got to the point I can barely tolerate tuna. I do eat a lot of the other things mentioned but its still not enough to get my protein to where it needs to be.I eat quite a few eggs but try to be careful with anything due to high cholesterol(I stopped taking meds because they were making me sick and causing issues,yes my dr knows.Like I said I eat a lot of these foods but after awhile I get tired of eating those things.lol and If I ate all those things a few times a day I would probably go over my calories as well.I just dont know what to do otherwise,I dont want to go over my calories but I want to get my protein to where it should be. most days I dont even get half of what I need.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    My two favorite ways to get protein:

Beef Jerky! Low cals, low fat, a good amount of protein. I get the lower sodium stuff.

I also do protein shakes - make a cup of coffee, and fix like normal, throw it in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Dump it in the blender along with a scoop of chocolate protein powder (25g in there), throw in some ice and blend.

You keep mentioning going over your calories - what is your daily allotment?
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I have the same issue, and am using protein powder. You may want to just try a few different kinds to find one that you like the taste of more than your current brand.

And cricket flour?! Egads! I have a bug phobia, so this is a big fat no for me! :)

C.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how it's so hard?

4 egg white omelette for breakfast - 15gm and 70 cal, more if you use cheese.
    1 serve of greek yoghurt as a snack, 17gm and 102 cal.
    250gm chicken breast for dinner, 57gm and 275 cal. Bump it to 300 to allow for whatever flavourings you like, it can be a different meal every day for 3 months.

You've now used only 471 calories and have 90gm of protein. The rest of your calories can go to adding whatever the hell you want to these meals & lunch.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Nuts
    Poultry
    Fish
    Beef
    Pork
    Eggs
    Quest bars
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I dont go over my calories I am afraid though if I get the protein I need that I will/ go over.as for coffee I cannot stand the taste of coffee in any way or any form

My two favorite ways to get protein:

Beef Jerky! Low cals, low fat, a good amount of protein. I get the lower sodium stuff.

I also do protein shakes - make a cup of coffee, and fix like normal, throw it in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Dump it in the blender along with a scoop of chocolate protein powder (25g in there), throw in some ice and blend.

You keep mentioning going over your calories - what is your daily allotment?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I eat most of these .only pork I can stomach is bacon and I cant afford to buy protein bars :(
    Greek yogurt
    Nuts
    Poultry
    Fish
    Beef
    Pork
    Eggs
    Quest bars
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    no bugs for this girl lol
    Something completely different, saw it on "Chopped": Cricket Flour

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2014/04/cricket-flour-baking-mixes.html
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    what kind of greek yogurt? none of mine have that high of protein and I am limited to what I can buy because I dont have many stores in my area and some dont carry certain products
    quote]
    I don't understand how it's so hard?

4 egg white omelette for breakfast - 15gm and 70 cal, more if you use cheese.
    1 serve of greek yoghurt as a snack, 17gm and 102 cal.
    250gm chicken breast for dinner, 57gm and 275 cal. Bump it to 300 to allow for whatever flavourings you like, it can be a different meal every day for 3 months.

You've now used only 471 calories and have 90gm of protein. The rest of your calories can go to adding whatever the hell you want to these meals & lunch.
    [/quote]
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    what kind of greek yogurt? none of mine have that high of protein and I am limited to what I can buy because I dont have many stores in my area and some dont carry certain products

Chobani plain 0% fat. It's amazing, I add 15gm choc peanut butter whey protein powder to bump the protein even further and make it a deliciously sweet dessert.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I cant eat chobani it has locust bean gum in it and I am allergic to it. (throat and tongue swells up) but will get another plain kind and add stuff to it

Chobani plain 0% fat. It's amazing, I add 15gm choc peanut butter whey protein powder to bump the protein even further and make it a deliciously sweet dessert.
  • LMS1230
    Options
    how about Slim Jim's or peanut butter?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    slim jims I dont like. I do like jerky just not slim jims. as for peanut butter I do eat it but not often as I am not a PB fan.I want to get almond butter but at almost $8 a jar its not in my budget
    how about Slim Jim's or peanut butter?
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    MFP says I need like 90+ grams of protein. I cant seem to get that much into my diet no matter how hard I try(without going over my calories). There is only so much beans,PB,chicken,etc that I can eat. I get tired of the same things over and over as well.I dont really want to start using my whey protein again(dont really like the taste too well now). what else can I do? Im trying to build muscle too as well as lose the weight I need to lose. I am keeping under my calories without trying basically. The protein though just isnt adding up.

I also am almost ALWAYS under the protein suggestions and I don't think it's that important to be honest. I'll only meet my goals if I eat red meat, which is not that often. Eggs, beans, red meat, chicken breast, peas. All good forms of protein. If you eat dairy try like low fat greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
  • ealbrow
    Options
    Hmm, have you tried Fage? I love it. I like to mix it with oats and almond milk and make overnight oats to have for breakfasts. Also, I make little frittata muffins to have throughout the week - they include whole eggs, additional egg whites, and greek yogurt for a good protein punch. Also you could add chicken or turkey for additional protein. Everyone's pretty much said everything I was going to, and seems like you know what works well for yourself, too. I do like protein powder in my coffee, smoothies, also good in these no bake peanut butter protein "cookies." Here are two recipes I make all the time. Hope you find what works well for you!

http://toneitup.com/2013/03/we-♥-food-friday-frittata-muffins/

http://toneitup.com/2013/11/featured-recipe-no-bake-peanut-butter-cookies/