Question for the ladies

Options
Since starting MFP, I've done ok with watching the calories and exercise, right? (Down 2lbs in almost 3 weeks) Well I started my period on Friday and honestly, I have no energy, no appetite, nothing. Cramping isn't too bad this time around, which is good, and I hope that has to do with the better eating and getting some exercise. But it just zaps all my energy, not even mass amounts of caffeine work for me. I'm 37 and have had periods like this practically since I started at 12. So the question is, how do you stay with your plans/programs during those few days? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    First, go get a physical. Make sure your weight loss journey is supervised by a doctor. It's the smart thing to do.

I eat more before my period. I crave food, especially carbs. As it starts, the carb cravings taper. Toward the end, I don't want food at all and if I do want something, it's almost always meat. So, I eat more before and less after. I always knew I craved carbs before my period, but until I was paying attention to my body, I never noticed that I had days where I barely wanted anything at the end. I love that I figured that out! I can totally overeat before, because I know the undereat days will arrive. :)

My doctor told me what I was low on and ordered some supplements. Since I started them, I feel better and stronger, more clear-headed and less drained, even during my period. Before my thyroid issue was diagnosed/fixed and I was taking supplements, my periods sucked the life out of me. I was exhausted all the time, but with periods, I'd just lie around. I even called off work a couple times.

Now, I get through them okay. They still hurt! But it isn't like before.

I don't know if any of that was helpful, but it was long! :)

Good luck.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Low iron used to do it for me. But I will say that day 1 is usually a killer. I even look gross. I usually will do a walk that day or maybe pilates. Nothing too strenuous.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First, get your iron checked. You just have to have perseverance, til you push past the "ick".
  • arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would give iron supplements a shot. Whenever I'm having a crappy, tired day I still make myself go to the gym but I give myself permission to only do half of what I usually do. Usually I end up doing a whole workout anyway because I want to make getting off my butt worth it.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    When you're feeling miserable, do something to pamper yourself! It's all part of taking care of ourselves, along with the better food choices and the exercise. Take a day off of exercise, or take a hot bubble bath, or give yourself a SMALL chocolate treat if that's what you crave. Eat what you want, with small/reasonable portions, make it work within your calorie goal, and just wait it out.

One more thing. Do not... I repeat, do NOT worry about what the scale says for the next few days. Avoid it. Have someone hide it. Lock it in your trunk if you must. Lots of women get derailed by a gain of water weight, figuring it has just undone what they've worked so hard to DO. It's very demotivating, especially if you're more emotional than usual anyway! But remember, it's JUST WATER, and it will go away.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, this happens to me. 2 or 3 days before my period arrives, I eat too much-- whether I'm trying to lose or maintain, and I have meat cravings (which I usually indulge because I know they mean I need protein and iron). Then I may have a day when I'm not really hungry sometime during my period. Generally, the first 2 days of it cause me to feel exhausted and disgusting, and I get quite bloated (1-3 pounds of water weight). It takes 4 or 5 days after it ends for the water weight to completely disappear, but usually by the 3rd day of my period I have lots of energy and feel fine eating whatever amount I want to be eating, once again.

I usually take it easy when I feel tired and gross that way. I can usually make up for the overeating in the next week by being extra careful or exercising more-- I generally look at weekly calorie amounts, rather than each day separately, anyway.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I just know day 2 I'm not doing anything...and that's that. It's day 3 I have to kick myself to do something. I'm still fighting myself to get through the lack of desire to exercise again after that. I'm getting better each round. You just learn what works for you.

I have different moods different days. I want to clean, then I want to eat, then I don't want to eat, then I want to nap, then I have energy again. I think it all evens out for me over 3-4 days so I'm learning to just go with the mood, it'll pass.
  • xmusicloverr
    xmusicloverr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This has been happening to me ever since I started keto... iron fixes it?
  • landiekate
    landiekate Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to be much of a help, specially compared to the previous posters. I'm one of those people who only has to deal with it for about 3 days, then it's gone. I have no problem working out or anything during... but man, those cravings are something else. Last month, I finished a gallon of Mint Chocolate-Chip ice cream in 3 days.

If you're not having any energy, and you're just fatigued (get your iron checked. taking a sublingual b-12 could help too, and an iron if it turns out it could behoove you) : try something light that doesn't require much energy. Like some nice calming, stretching yoga. The kind you can do in your PJ's. Or go for a walk when the sun is setting~

I think its also important to remember that nutrition is the key factor when it comes to "losing weight", so don't worry so much if you don't get some "killer" workouts in when you're dealing with your period. I've not been having an appetite lately myself due to other health reasons. I just make sure that when I decide to eat, I eat something healthy.
  • xphoenixfirex
    xphoenixfirex Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've had issues in the past with iron, so I assumed that may be the culprit there. Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this icky! I don't usually have a long cycle anymore, (thankfully) maybe 3-4 days then it's over. Thanks for the help ladies!!!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Since starting MFP, I've done ok with watching the calories and exercise, right? (Down 2lbs in almost 3 weeks) Well I started my period on Friday and honestly, I have no energy, no appetite, nothing. Cramping isn't too bad this time around, which is good, and I hope that has to do with the better eating and getting some exercise. But it just zaps all my energy, not even mass amounts of caffeine work for me. I'm 37 and have had periods like this practically since I started at 12. So the question is, how do you stay with your plans/programs during those few days? Thanks in advance :)

The week before I eat whatever is not nailed down. The week of I lose my appetite. I figure it all comes out in the wash. I just keep logging and make sure to keep hydrated.