Am I Doing Enough?

Options
Sorry for the long post...

I'm just getting started with exercise and I really don't know if I'm doing enough to see results. I'm also slowly changing my diet. Can someone who knows a little more about it tell me if I should change or ad anything to what I'm doing?

First off, I'm a vegetarian, and I DO NOT consume meat. That will never change, so please don't suggest increasing my meat intake. I get enough B vitamins, Iron, and protein. Actually I get to much according to a close friend who is a nutritionist. Also, I work a desk job where I sit for 8-9 hours daily so any advice on workouts at work would be awesome (im not allowed to bring in dumbells or anything, I cant even have keys in my area).

Anyways, here is my usual everyday meal plan:

Breakfast:
Oatmeal (it has added sugar, but I just can't stand oatmeal that I make home made)
Chia seeds on top of oatmeal
Earth Balance butter light with natural Flax Seeds (also has tons of calcium and vitamins)
I use almond milk unsweetened to mix together

Lunch:
I usually just eat vegetable crackers or snap/snow peas
Drink lots of water

Dinner:
I have gluten free pasta with organic sauce and no cheese
or
Meatless chicken strips with rolls
Or
Meatless organic soups and a grilled cheese

Snack:
Fruit
Snap peas
Green beans raw
Snow Peas
a few nuts

Supplements:
Probiotic 10 twice a day
Womens vitacrave multivitamins

I've just started working out and it is all at home exercises. Heres what I've been doing
Before Work:
Squats, burpees, push ups, sit ups, wall sits, jumping jacks, 15 pound weight lifts.
At Work:
Leg raises under my desk, 2-3 ten minute walks on breaks
After work:
Squats, burpees, push ups, sit ups, wall sits, jumping jacks, 15 pound weight lifts, workout game on my xbox 360, and lots of stretches.

I don't have a weight scale, but I'm thinking of getting one and using it once a week. Any suggestions would be a huge help. I don't smoke or drink soda/juice (I quit around a year ago) unless its juice made at home. Also, a weight loss buddy would be really nice. I appreciate ANY help or suggestions. I am not really seeing results but I've only been doing the working out for about two weeks.

Replies

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale .. much more important than that other scale.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Buy a tape measure and track your measurements. I feel like that's a better way to measure your results than a scale; I've had weeks where I don't lose any weight but I've lost inches. Measure your waist, thighs, arm, neck, bust, etc. once every couple weeks.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you are eating very much.
  • jrodri0105
    jrodri0105 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    that is not lunch, thats a snack. Looks like u're under eating. ( calories look <1000). You will not maintain this.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Your MFP diary will tell you if you're getting enough food and protein. It looks off to me but I am not a vegetarian.

Your exercise looks aggressive and more than just weight loss, especially for a beginner. If you're doing this successfully, then don't stop. But if you're struggling, permit yourself to start slowly. A brisk walk or similar activity that gets your heart pumping pretty good will cause weight loss.

Technically speaking, your target heart rate range for weight loss is 65 to 75% of your maximum heart rate. And your max heart rate is easily estimated with a simple equation. Subtract your age from 226. (Males use 220).

I'm 51 and male so:
    220 - 51 = 169
    My heart rate range for weight loss is 65% to 75% of 169, 109 to 126.

When I first started exercising, it didn't take much to get me into that range -- just a few minutes of walking. Now I am walking for an hour at a time, walking a lot faster, and I'm adding a little running into the walk -- a minute of run, a minute of walk. I could do other things, like an aerobics class, going up/down stairs, etc..

The calisthenics that you are doing will improve your muscle tone, but they won't let you lose weight unless you get your heart rate up as you're doing them (e.g. circuit training). You need a short recovery time after an exercise, but not too long or your heart rate will fall below your 65% number
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    That looks seriously deficient in protein. I know you said you've been getting enough, but from WHERE?! A body needs about a gram of protein per inch of your height. I'm 5'11 so I need around 71 grams. Even if you follow the (low) estimate of the USRDA, you'd need around 50 grams per day.

For me personally, if I ate that many carbs in one day, I'd never stop eating. I'd be so damn starving the whole thing would fail.

I'd really suggest taking a look at some macros. Consume some protein foods that are non meat. Cottage cheese, Greek Yogut, Peanut butter, nuts..cheese

Good luck
  • arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I basically live off greek yogurt. If you're looking for a lower-sugar breakfast I would suggest giving it a shot. You can basically mix anything into it - nuts, fruit, cereal, anything. I also has a ton a protein which is always a plus.
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale .. much more important than that other scale.

+1
    Don't go too low on your calories or it will backfire. Weigh all solid food. Very easy to under estimate intake. Slow and steady wins the race as they say.

Edited for spelling.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    pacwoman said: First off, I'm a vegetarian, and I DO NOT consume meat.
    Fair enough. I see grilled cheese in there. Can I assume you accept dairy products?

Although I eat meat, I get the majority of protein from dairy, mainly cottage cheese and nonfat greek yogurt.

Are you doing enough? "You can't outrun your fork" meaning most of the weight loss will come from a calorie deficit. I was eating low like you. Some people suggested to me I should eat near my calorie goal and I would still lose weight. So far it has been working and I am less stressed about calorie counting.
  • ealbrow
    Options
    Seems like you're doing a lot to help your body already! I try to have bigger meals at breakfast and lunch, and a smaller dinner, with maybe 2 snacks between throughout the day. Unlimited veggies throughout the day - I like to pre-pack bags of veggies so I can just grab and go. I also try to not have bread or pasta after 3 - even if it is brown rice or gluten free. Quinoa is always my go to - even in a good salad with some beans or lentils for added protein. I agree with a lot of what others have said - taking your measurements is a great way to see progress, as well as taking photos. In all honesty - you don't even have to count calories - just check the nutrients on here - make sure you're getting enough protein and fiber (to keep you full) and not having too much sugar or sodium. Both cardio and strength training are important to do every day - at least 5 days a week. And little changes - like taking the stairs when you can, doing squats or counter push ups when you're waiting for food to cook or while watching tv, etc. I'm sure you know a lot of this already, though. Best of luck on your health and fitness goals!
  • Sparklever
    Sparklever Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar schedule for a while and realised there were a couple of things missing, so I changed /added the below!
    1. Added a natural plant based protein ( I added Sunwarrior and 180 nutrition) 1 scoop for breakfast and 1 scoop after workout.
    2. Tried to get atleast 20 mins of exercise everyday, even if its just a stroll. It helps boost your metabolism. Do your workouts as planned. Just add 20 mins of something more everyday.
    3. Avoided/ reduced carbs at night.. Made lunch bigger than dinner. Started sticking to the inverted pyramid principle. Breakfast bigger than other meals, lunch bigger than dinner. Snacks every two hours.

I have started seeing the scale budge after this. Reg scales - I got one which shows the body fat % as most of the times for me, I dont see any change in weight but my fat% reduces and muscle % increases.., so it really does not affect the weight but the change is positive! A good scale lets me recognize that and has helped me continue.

Hope this helps!
  • Project2015
    Options
    Each and every one of us is different. However I would say you're not eating enough calories according to this, you have to eat your calories or take meal replacement shakes into consideration [they make vegan ones!] if you eat too few calories your body WILL NOT LOSE weight, in fact you may even begin to gain weight. On average just from sitting around breathing, going to the rest room, and small movements you burn 1200 calories base. so any less than this and your body believes its starving.When this happens your body takes everything you eat and stores it in lipids that form fat cells, so that your body has something to feed off of for energy, and you begin to either maintain weight or gain weight because of this.
    On Average you need to calculate your calorie intake based on daily activity aside from breathing/using the restroom/walking around your home, and also factor in your height and weight. you want to always have a nice gap of 300 or so calories left over a day [in my opinion] but its best when those calories come from working out.
    Running is 100% the best way to get a full body cardio work out.
    You can try taking stairs at work if you have them, itll add to your daily cardio, skip the elevator and just hike up the stairs, i do it everyday at school. You can also try standing up and walking in place on breaks. even if you only have a couple steps, walking up them and then walking backwards back down them is great cardio and fantastic for the digestive tract.
    hope some of this helped.
    also your choice to eat vegan doesnt mean you wont lose weight or that you need more meat intake. so dont even worry about that.
  • coffeeshopgeek
    coffeeshopgeek Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's what I was thinking. That lunch isn't enough food for a meal.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You didn't state what your goal is, so I'll assume it's weight loss. The one thing missing from your post is the one thing that actually matters for that: numbers, i.e., how much of those foods you're actually eating and how much exercise you're doing (and at what intensity.) You could be eating 10000 calories per meal and doing very little exercise, for all we know.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you consuming per day? I am guessing that MFP put you at 1200 cal per day.

Have you looked up your BMR or your TDDE? Your meals look light to me, but I can't tell without seeing your exact measurements.

You look to be on the right track...
  • pacwoman92
    pacwoman92 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Vegan protein powder you put into a bottle of water, has a lot of vitamins also, I forgot to add that.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Way more important than what you are doing or what you are eating is HOW MUCH you are eating.

Fill in your stats and goals accurately, DON'T choose 2 lbs per week because that is too aggressive unless you have a real lot of weight to lose, and weigh & measure your food into the log every day.

Exercise is for fitness and to buy yourself some extra cals to eat, weight loss is all about your eating.

Get into the habit and give your body 3-4 weeks to get used to the changes and start to react.

Oh and read the Sexypants post stickied to the top of the forum.

Be patient and stick with it and you will reach your goals - good luck! :drinker:
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Your comment is hard to judge without knowing how much weight you are actually trying to lose.
    That''s why most of us have these ticker things.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Quoting myself...
    The calisthenics that you are doing will improve your muscle tone, but they won't let you lose weight unless you get your heart rate up as you're doing them (e.g. circuit training).
    This was poorly said. Of course you can lose weight while doing this. Getting your heart rate up while doing it is simply more effective. Sorry for the goof.
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I would take your measurements from all over - it takes a while to see the difference but if you take your measurements you can check to see where you are losing from. I recently tried the quorn mince and have to say I honestly couldn't tell the difference once I'd added lots of spice/vegetables etc. to my mix so will be using this a lot more often in place of meat.

Good luck x