Scale vs. Mirror

Options
I've got several 'friends' on here who more or less complain about the scale going up sometimes once they start a resistance training routine. With that, I usually post that you shouldn't worry much about the scale short term, and go on to mention the old story of muscle simply weighing more than fat by equal volumes. (eg. 1xFat < 1xMuscle) So, if you lose an inch of fat around your belly or butt, and put on an equal mass of muscle (or increase the density of existing muscle) in your shoulders, abs, chest, legs, etc. you will gain weight. But that's a good thing. Focus on the plan, the mirror and you will get to where you want. Do NOT be a slave to the scale, use it only as a tool.

To give you an example, the two pics below were taken about 45 days apart. The first I weighed 4.5lbs LESS than the second. But the mirror tells me that the second is where I like to be. Make sense?

179.jpg

184.jpg

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    yum :blushing:
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

yeah, what she said. LOL
  • stephscott
    Options
    I totally agree with your post! I will lessen the scale and more the mirror...inches could be melting away!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Agreed.
  • z122
    z122 Posts: 4
    Options
    seriously. wow.
  • Blueeyes1117
    Blueeyes1117 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. You look awesome in both but the second picture is the best one even though you weigh more its because of the muscle that you built up. Hope that helps :)
  • ckzeunen
    Options
    Nice Abs!!!!::flowerforyou:
  • Kristina954
    Options
    I agree. Thats why i track my weight AND my measurements... and Great pics btw.
    :wink:
  • BriannaSkye
    Options

yeah, what she said. LOL

Totally going with what they said
  • keta6atl
    Options
    hawkeye guy hit it on the head!....seems like everyone is sooooo focused on weight....when what they should be focusing on is bodyfat percentage....or loss....great post!
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    So very true and very well said. You are looking fabulous btw and CONGRATS on your weight loss :bigsmile:
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments...but it's not about me anymore, I've gotten where I want to be. I really want to help anyone out there that wants to do what I did. One of the posters has on here as her tag line "To be the hot girl." I love that, because that's what I wanted to do...well, kinda - to be the hot guy is more like it. Anyway, if there is anything I can do to help coach or motivate someone to get to where they want to be is why I'm here. If it wasn't for these forums, i wouldn't have gotten to where I am today. My method is usually blunt truth and 'tell it like it is' mentality...not much coddling. So, if I can be of assistance, let me know!
  • kendradl
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments...but it's not about me anymore, I've gotten where I want to be. I really want to help anyone out there that wants to do what I did. One of the posters has on here as her tag line "To be the hot girl." I love that, because that's what I wanted to do...well, kinda - to be the hot guy is more like it. Anyway, if there is anything I can do to help coach or motivate someone to get to where they want to be is why I'm here. If it wasn't for these forums, i wouldn't have gotten to where I am today. My method is usually blunt truth and 'tell it like it is' mentality...not much coddling. So, if I can be of assistance, let me know!

LOVE your attitude, it is refreshing to hear someone just say it the way it is instead of beating around the bush and I like that. I try to be the same way which on occasion has gotten me into trouble. :happy:
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    Seriously!? So, I got a message from a member I'll not mention, calling me "an idiot" and "a lucky guy who was blessed with good genes" and all I do is "go around ridiculing others that weren't so fortunate"!

Really? I was chronically the 'fat kid' until high school, where I made a difference in myself by choosing to do so. Then I stayed fit (by busting my *kitten* through college), and then my "blessed good genes" decided I should have a rare kidney disease. I spent 6 months on chemo and high dose IV prednisone which literally blew me up. I spent 5 years *****ing and moaning and being fat. All I did was whine about "my bad luck". Until one day I called myself out and decided enough was enough.

I went from that low point to now maintaining 12.5% bodyfat, competing in marathons, triathlons and adventure races. So, 'Ms. CW' (as nameless as I'll go even though I feel like throwing you under the bus and letting everyone blast you) I'm not an idiot, actually I've educated myself thoroughly in fitness and even gained my ACE certification since my diagnosis, and my genes certainly aren't "blessed", and finally I don't ridicule anyone...I speak the truth and hopefully people see that. So, if you'd like to discuss this in front of everyone, please respond, otherwise go away.

Thanks to everyone else!!!
  • kendradl
    Options
    Wow Holy Crap - someone out there sure has a large set of knackers to do something like that. This site is for encouragement and support and then there is someone like that out there - Not nice, not nice at all :angry:
  • lisas3bbabies
    Options
    Thats too bad that someone can't appreciate hard work and dedication! You can tell that you are being the bigger person, thanks for staying on to encourage us. Keep on posting your pics...they ARE motivating!
  • crazycat828
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder about the strength training possibly adding weight. I was getting worried..