Excersise calories burned count

Options
Hi, new to the app, but loving it so far.

One thing I find is that the count for the calories burned during exercise seems quite high.

I went to play squash last night with some friends. We typically for 80 minutes. Minus water breaks and time spent chatting between games I figure its roughly 60 minutes. We're all pretty overweight but competitive.

The app says that I would have burned 1442 calories, which is more than half of the calories I took for the day! Can that be anywhere near accurate? Then again if I played squash that much everyday, I certainly would expect to lose some serious weight.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• IsisRosa
    IsisRosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you are relying on MFP's calorie counts and not a Heart Rate Monitor, then I suggest you only eat back a portion of your calories.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Good job on your workout. 60 minutes is a respectable workout, and if you were working hard during that time you can burn quite a chunk of calories.

I also recommend a heart-rate monitor - since I got mine I've really enjoyed seeing how many calories I burn during different workouts. I've found MFP's calorie counts to be a little high, but not too bad. Maybe 20-25% high? MFP has been more accurate than some of the elliptical machines at my gym which overestimate by as much as 60%!

As far as eating back calories, if you're trying to lose weight I'd recommend eating back as few exercise calories as possible. Eat between your BMR and non-exercise TDEE, then put as much of the exercise calories directly toward weight-loss. If you're really hungry or tired, it's ok to eat back some of your exercise calories (so you don't make yourself miserable). But I generally don't unless I'm in maintenance or muscle-building mode.

Hope that helps!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    same query. burned 2400 playing for 140 mins tonite.
    logged it but not paying it any heed.
    any hrm wearing squash players can validate burn please?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    HRMs are made to be used for steady rate cardio - like running and swimming, not stop and go type activities like squash, yoga, many aerobic dvds, strength training, etc.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I don't use the counts on here. They are horribly inaccurate. I use a HRM.
  • sino19
    sino19 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've found MFP's calorie counts to be a little high, but not too bad. Maybe 20-25% high? MFP has been more accurate than some of the elliptical machines at my gym which overestimate by as much as 60%!
    :sad: :sad:
  • dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I try use my heart rate monitor for everything , even dog walking as your heart rate is up n down and the harder you work the more calories burned.
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't bother logging exercise on here. I eat my recommended calories throughout the week (even on exercise days), but I almost always go over on the weekends. It must be balancing out, since I still lose weight. If that stops, I plan to just reassess my weekend snacking.
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I play competitive badminton 2 days a week, 3 hours each time. I LOG it as social badminton, cut out a half hour for breaks and then eat back only half the calories. So far working great.
  • racronan
    Options
    I have also just stopped logging my exercise because I don't trust the calories counts-and it will "yell" at me for eating too little as a result. My daily calorie goal is 1200 calories but between my walking and the yoga/pilates I do 3-4 times a week, it nets out to like 900 calories or less when I track it which I frankly just don't buy. But the app will then provide me with a stern warning that I am eating too little and should increase my calorie count which I find frustrating. So I just stopped tracking it altogether and just go with my diet plan. Lol.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't use the counts on here. They are horribly inaccurate. I use a HRM.

^^this
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you weigh, on how many calories you burn doing a specific activity. I don't use the numbers on MFP I have a HRM that I track my calories with. I rarely eat back any of my exercise calories (unless it is a really big burn day, for example the days I do outside run (instead of a treadmill) or the days that we do really long hike (over 10 miles). There is a site that you can use to get an idea of calorie burn http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc for a fairly accurate idea of what you are burning, but the only way to be sure is a HRM. Good luck
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    HRMs are made to be used for steady rate cardio - like running and swimming, not stop and go type activities like squash, yoga, many aerobic dvds, strength training, etc.

^this

No reason to get a HRM for squash. They aren't designed for that at all.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think they way overestimate some and then others are underestimated. I don't know where they get those numbers. Maybe they pull them out of a hat.

Most people eat half the calories it estimates for exercise.

I eat to my hunger. If I can be okay eating none back, I do that. If I am hungry, I'll eat some more.

I do not have a heart rate monitor. On the rare occasion that I care what my heart rate is, I use my fingers. But it has nothing to do with what I eat.
  • cw106
    Options

comparing squash with yoga?

im guessing you have never played squash.
  • FiverLagomorph
    FiverLagomorph Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used this site?

Calorie Lab
    http://calorielab.com/burned/

Seems to cover just about any activity with a good explanation of the calculations.
  • jrcrmr
    jrcrmr Posts: 31 Member
    Options

comparing squash with yoga?

im guessing you have never played squash.

For heart rate monitor use, yes, it's a legitmate comparison. That's why he/she mentioned "not stop and go" activities. They are both non-steady rate cardio activities; meaning that your heart rate will slow down and rise significantly (peaks and valleys) during the activity and the heart rate monitor will be inaccurate.

As previously stated multiple times in multiple threads, heart monitors are great for running, swimming, cycling, elliptical (if going intense enough). Anything that will steadily raise your heart rate if you keep going at the same pace for the duration of the activity. Anything else, it will be inaccurate.
  • cw106
    Options

Calorie Lab

Seems to cover just about any activity with a good explanation of the calculations.

helpful link.thanks.

2200burn on cal lab versus 2400 on mfp.accurate enough as a guideline.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Calorie Lab

Gives me 1200 per hour for cycling at 20+mph. That's pretty exaggerated.