New to this.

Options
Hi, I started losing weight June 4 2014. So far I have lost 25 pounds. I have been told that it's better to lose weight slow,......but I think this is a little to slow. I started out wanting to lose 90 pounds. I have 65 more to go. I try to walk at least 10 steps a day. And trying to do situps and leg lifts. .Don't have the time or money to join a gym . What I should be doing to speed things up?

Replies

• k8161819
    Options
    First of all I just want to say Good Job! I think that what you have lost so far is awesome! And yes, losing weight slower usually means that you will keep it off longer as your body adjusts to the loss, equilibrates and your metabolism compensates. I used to have a personal trainer that I saw 4 times a week and I still only lost about 40 pounds in a full year, so..so far I think you are doing awesome. If you want to step it up, I was always told that you should do try and do interval workouts. Bring your heart rate up for 30-60 seconds then slow for 30 second and bring it back up again for 30-60 seconds and continue this for your complete workout. Also my trainer used to tell me that you need to switch up the type of workouts you do because your body will start to get used to the ones you do all the time. You want to confuse your muscles. She also used to tell me that if your feeling the strain and burn in your muscles the day (or days) after a workout it means that your body is still burning more because they need to work harder to do daily activities due to the exhaustion. Right now I don't have the money to go to a gym either, or buy any workout equipment, which I know is difficult, but I found that there are quite a few good workout videos on youtube (right now I am doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred found on youtube), and I also made my own weights to use just by using water bottles filled with water, rocks and/or sand depending on how heavy you want them. If you ever need any different exercises to do or just need a push I have built up a pretty big journal of different exercises you can do from home without any equipment, for all parts of the body and would love to share it with anyone that would like it. Just keep it up and feel free to add me as a friend if you like! I think its awesome how far you have come in almost 4 months!
  • cinde2014
    cinde2014 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi, my doctor suggested to me to try for 30 min of walking everyday. I've been following that for three weeks now. I feel amazing. I've started logging all food and exercises. It helps me to be aware of what is going in my mouth. My body is changing. I never stop at 30 min cayuse it feels so good. I'm finally making myself a priority. Yeah!,,,!!!!!!
  • justdebbie1
    justdebbie1 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thank you. My steps should have said 10,000. My husband got me 2 plastic coffee cans that have handles that I will put sand in and use. I have a Gazelle that we have had for years. As soon as my ankle is better ( sprained it on Friday on a walk) I will be using that. When I have time I try and walk about a hour a day. Other times I will walk the halls at work, when not busy.