5-6 meals a day?

Options

Replies

• YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have found that for me personally, I like to eat small meals during the day, since I sit at a desk and it takes the place of getting a bag of chips and unhealthy snacks like I used to- usually have Greek yogurt, fruit, Zone bar, leftover small portion from whatever I made the night before, but I save enough calories to have a 600-700 calorie dinner in the evening. Mostly because I really enjoying cooking something for myself and my husband, but also because I don't feel very satisfied without that one larger meal. Like people on here say, it's a lifestyle change, so I found a method that I can live with in the long term. Try different things and find what works for you :)
  • boku70
    Options
    I've gotten into a thing where I break up my meals over time. For example, lunch is vegetables, an entree, and a (medical) shake. But instead of eating them all at once, I space them. Stringing it out like that has proven to be helpful.
  • stephiedee23
    Options
    It doesn't make a difference when it comes to weight loss, it's just about what works best for you and your schedule. I work from 4am to 2 or 3pm, usually 6 days a week, so for me eating throughout the day is necessary. I have small snacks/meals throughout my shift and eat a regular dinner when I get home, plus a snack before bed. If I had a more regular schedule I'd probably eat three larger meals a day because I prefer it, but it's about making it sustainable for your lifestyle.
  • 2718maria
    2718maria Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I noticed I lost more eating 5 meals a day. What I found eazy for me was preparing my food ahead of time. That way I can enjoy my meal more instead of worrying in preparing it n having a little time in eating n enjoying it.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    if it works for you, and helps you stay in control of your choices, then do it! I don't think it makes a huge difference unless you have problems with blood sugar levels--then it could definately help you. I think for me, it would lead to eating too much over the course of the day. You have to find your own perfect balance.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I usually have 3 small meals and several snacks (or 2 small meals and one bigger meal and fewer snacks). If I never let myself feel hungry, then I typically stay within my goals. If I skip a meal, which happens from time to time, my stomach growls and I end up overeating. So for me, it's easier to stay within my goals if I eat smaller portions throughout the day.
  • Ithlilian86
    Ithlilian86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Isn't the point of eating more meals supposed to be to amp up your metabolism? It's said that going longer between meals slows your metabolism. That's why I've been eating more often, to boost metabolism.
  • ccbulldog83
    ccbulldog83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I typically split what I'm eating for breakfast and lunch and eat the rest a few hours later..plus eat dinner and a snack...I think it helps to avoid the binge. Good luck!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Isn't the point of eating more meals supposed to be to amp up your metabolism? It's said that going longer between meals slows your metabolism. That's why I've been eating more often, to boost metabolism.

No. That is a myth. Your metabolism only slows after about 72 hours of not eating.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i eat 6 small meals per day, but i never eat just a piece of fruit. each of my meals is only about 200 to 250 calories but contains at least 10 grams of protein - usually more. on the one hand, i have type 2 diabetes that's easier to control will smaller sugar spikes from smaller meals. on the other hand, it's a great way to keep from getting hungry, and works really well unless i have a super intense workout, in which case i'll have a little fat free greek yogurt to tide me over.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I recently started eating 5 x 300 cal meals per day, rather than the traditional Breakfast / Lunch / dinner...

It works a treat for me!!

I eat my first meal before I leave home, eat 3 meals at work, and then a meal at home in the evening. I have had problems I the past with bingeing, especially before dinner. My 3 meals at work I eat at about 10am, about 1pm, and 4pm. I have found that eating regularly has kept me feeling satisfied - and that 'need' to binge once I get home is gone - I am satisfied enough from my 4pm meal to get home and prepare a meal for the family without wanting to snack. Oh, and I don't ever feel like I'm starving, if I do feel hungry it is because it's time for another meal.

Different things work for different people. I am loving it, it is working well.
  • synostosis
    synostosis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi All.

I eat 6 meals a day. I log all my meals and i find it really works for me. I am a fairly fit female at 17.5% body fat. I find what's most important is getting enough protein at each meal (I go for 20 to 25g of protein per meal). I set an alarm for the same times every day as it keeps me on track (otherwise I simply forget!). As a few others have mentioned, it helps to prep meals the evening before. My meals vary on a regular basis but they all are around the same size (in calories).

Getting a solid routine and schedule down really helps with keeping you balanced, and satiated. It takes the guess work out of it and honestly, I like that I don't have to think or worry about food very much. Everything is on autopilot so I can use my energy for more important things during the day.
  • VibrantAnnette
    VibrantAnnette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do my best eating 5-7 'small meals' a day. I'd really call them snacks because they need to be <350 calories each for my BMR (lose a # a week) plan. In fact, once I figured out how to do this, I was never ravenous again. for me ravenous = hypoglycemic hangry. I've also noticed that when a homemade smoothie goes above 350 calories I then have an energy crash... so confirmation of <350 calories in each snack/meal, and i'll just consume that smoothie in 2 separate meals.

Trick is you need figure out snacks that work for you in your meal plans. Know in advance what you can snack on. Plus, know how many calories per snack that you can have, divide total calories a day you are allowed by 5 (or 7 in my case), and always stay within that calorie range with each snack. Then as you log food throughout the day, check your nutrition pie chart for proper ratio of protein/fat/carbs.

I keep a small snack baggie everywhere, in my briefcase, suitcase, vehicle, office desk, gym bag.
    snack baggie is filled with almonds, sometimes peanuts. almonds are lower fat and peanuts are highest protein nut you will find Almonds give nice energy, while peanuts and whey protein give sustained energy. Frequently i'll keep a snack baggie of dark chocolate pieces (dark is low sugar) and snack on 1-2 TBSP (75-150cals dark chocolate). Dark chocolate was/is used in British and USA military rucksacks food packs as it's a good food source that satisfies appetite for very long times between meals (you just need control yourself, it always surprises me how some folks eat any chocolate like they were drinking beer... chug chug chug).

So on days I had sudden business meetings (they always delay going home), I had my dark chocolate as a snack to keep me energized til I got home. In my suitcase, for those last minute road-warrior trips, I always keep a plastic container filled with 3-5 servings of whey protein. I often bring a container with dry whey protein to the office, add water when I need that power snack.
    I also keep a bowl of fresh apples, my favorite kinds, and grab a couple giving a quick wash/dry as I head on way out door. An apple a day is great, turns out the malic acid and pectin in apples break down fats too.

With the nuts, a snack baggie is really two servings, just eat one. if I'm having a ravenous day I can eat the whole thing and that's just fine as i'll focus on balancing out all other nutritional requirements for all remaining meals of the day. Guarantee it's better to eat the whole snack baggie of almonds than the energy crashes or ravenous crashes where i'll grab something really bad for me (too high glucose) or overeat.
  • connieelaine24
    connieelaine24 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have found that I was the most successful when I eat throughout the day. This seems to prevent going into starvation mode, plus it keeps your metabolism up so your burning throughout the day as well. I also found that I wasn't walking in the door grabbing the first thing I can grab quickly. So like breakfast lunch and dinner with a snack every two hours.
  • VibrantAnnette
    VibrantAnnette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    yes yes yes! just what Connie said! ... eating small meal-snacks throughout the day really keeps your metabolism high, burning calories faster, and keeping your energy even and high throughout the day. you'll lose fat and your muscle tone will show much more quickly.

I'm 53, and as we age, both our digestion and metabolism slows down radically, along with a bunch of other hormone slowing/stopping. It becomes very important to eat those little snacks to rev the metabolism and improve digestion.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have found that I was the most successful when I eat throughout the day. This seems to prevent going into starvation mode, plus it keeps your metabolism up so your burning throughout the day as well. I also found that I wasn't walking in the door grabbing the first thing I can grab quickly. So like breakfast lunch and dinner with a snack every two hours.

You will not go into starvation mode by not eating throughout the day and your metabolism is not higher than if eating the same foods in a more compressed time frame - as long as calories and macros are the same at the end of the day.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    yes yes yes! just what Connie said! ... eating small meal-snacks throughout the day really keeps your metabolism high, burning calories faster, and keeping your energy even and high throughout the day. you'll lose fat and your muscle tone will show much more quickly.

I'm 53, and as we age, both our digestion and metabolism slows down radically, along with a bunch of other hormone slowing/stopping. It becomes very important to eat those little snacks to rev the metabolism and improve digestion.

Eating frequently doesn't boost metabolism.
  • jimmy28
    jimmy28 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do 5-6 a day as well, but it's primarily for blood sugar maintenance. I really consider it 3 meals and 3 snacks. The snacks bridge the meals for me and are usually a protein snack <200 calories, but lately I've been cutting the protein snack in half and throwing a chocolate square in there. Breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and bedtime snack. If I know I have to eat out at work I will skip the mid morning snack to make sure I have enough calories. Then decide on the afternoon snack when the time comes. The bedtime snack keeps me from being hungry during the night and seems to help my blood sugar stay more even.

I usually do 1oz almonds for the morning, 1 oz cheese in the afternoon and at night I get a little more carbs with 1 graham cracker, 1 tbs cream cheese and 40g grapes. With that I can still keep my meals more normal size, but also balanced enough so that I'm not trying to cram in 1000 calories at night like I used to. It opens up too many opportunities for me to splurge on stuff that kills my blood sugar.
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty inconsistent with my eating habits. I blame the shift work. Sometimes I only have time for three meals. I find that if I'm eating regularly, I don't end up bingeing at the end of the day. I was taught, some years ago, by my trainer, that eating regularly is "fuelling the fire" (boosting your metabolismt). But then he changed his mind and started advocating the fasting diet type thing. I don't know the real answer, but I just think that as long as you eat just enough calories (and not 'empty' calories from junk food) and exercise regularly, you can't really go wrong with that. I think its just better to do whatever works for you.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    i lost weight very well and fast on the six week body makeover ..which is eating six meals a day..every 2.5 to 3 hours. healthy stuff. protein, veg, and carb.

bottom line. it worked very well. However, i regained because it was imppossible to eat every 2.5 hours. or 3 hours. lots of eating in the car..in restroom stalls at events.. insane and hardly sustainable for a lifetime.

and the bad side effect? it trains your hunger to trigger all day long. I still suffer from the conditioning of that diet.