Losing weight, but losing steam

Hello.

My name is Ashley, I am 27, female, 5'7, I weight currently 200 pounds and this is my second attempt at losing weight.

I guess I should tell you a little about myself.

About a year ago, I was on track for losing weight. I got down to 195 pounds when for a very long time, I have been over 200 pounds. Both my mom and I were losing weight together and we were on track and both making progress.

Then tragedy hit.

Our 10 month year old poodle was run over by a school bus and the weight loss went down the drain. I went from 195 to my highest weight that I have ever been which was 220 pounds. I was so depressed that food became my escape and it made me feel better. So I ate until I reached 220 pounds and it wasn't until about 2 months ago where I could not take it anymore. I was starting to fit into XXL clothes and it really started to scare me because I have always been bigger, but never that big.

So I took control and I started to workout more and eat better and I lost 20 pounds because of it.

However, I find myself writing this after eating 4 rolls of Sushi, chocolate, and I just polished off 2 Apple Ales. Yesterday I went to the BIG E and I walked for 8 hours, but still didn't eat as healthy.

I am starting to feel more bloated and heavier and I am afraid that I may have gained a pound or two.

During the summer it was easy. I didn't have anything else in my life that I needed to do and I could concentrate on losing the weight. Now that school has started, working out and eating healthy is becoming harder and harder and I don't seem to know why.

I don't know if its my mindset that I lost weight, so I can indulge more now or that my metabolism is higher, so I can eat more or what, but I know that I feel bigger and I am not liking the direction I am going.

I know that its only a pound or two and its something I can burn off and keep going with my goal, but for some reason, I almost feel like giving up because I gained weight.

I want to keep going and lose at least 30 more pounds, but it's become harder and harder and my eating is not as great.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I hoped that talking about it would help me in someway.

Anyways, again, my name is Ashley and thank you for reading.

Replies

• Nope, I'm a guy. Gaining quality weight is what I'm trying to do. :P
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    School makes it more difficult, but that doesn't mean you can't make healthy changes now. There will ALWAYS be something else going on. Currently I'm studying for the CPA test while working full time, but I refuse to let that get in the way of exercising 3x a week. You MAKE time for the things that you want. That's the truth.

Please don't give up. You will thank yourself later and you will feel better, because you won't be so bloated. Btw, any chance the recent bloating could be due to that time of the month?
  • Hi Ashley,

I haven't experienced the same thing but I'm definitely an emotional eater. So I can understand why you would backslide after an upsetting event.

I've re-started my "diet" as well recently and its been going pretty well. I find that pre-planning-and pre-cooking-my meals for the week has really helped me stick to the plan I've laid out for myself. Packing your lunch and your snacks for school can help you avoid making unhealthy decisions. It also helps when I get home at night when I can just pop something into the microwave instead of having to cook something.

I would also suggest finding an exercise class you really enjoy. I walk everyday for 7 miles (3.5 to and from work) and I love that but I also recently started yoga/pilates. Exercise releases neurotransmitters in the brain that can help you feel happier and have more energy. Which might help you though tougher times or through stressful situations instead of food.

My entire family is full of emotional eaters. They're all very large. I am also an emotional eater but I have fought very hard to control myself and to stay smaller.

My stats are actually somewhat similar to yours. I'm 29, 5'7", and started my weightloss journey at 200lbs but I'm currently sitting at 153 lbs. You can definitely do this!
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    My advice would be simply keep tracking everything you eat. I think when people commit to the tracking they tend to get back to healthy eating sooner rather than later just because when you track you can't hide from your bad choices. Hang in there and good luck.
  • My advice would be simply keep tracking everything you eat. I think when people commit to the tracking they tend to get back to healthy eating sooner rather than later just because when you track you can't hide from your bad choices. Hang in there and good luck.

Thank you so much everyone for your comments. I am taking everything that you guys are saying to heart.

I have been using the my fitness pal app and I have been tracking what I have been eating, but I seem to be tracking it when I think I am under the 1200 calorie limit that I have. When I know I have gone over with the food that I ate, I don't put it in and then I don't do it for a couple of days because of that and then I lose track.

I was bloated before when I had my period and now I am off it. I think, especially with the Big E, you just smell all the food around you and they had a Subway there, but I get that so much during a normal week, that I wanted to enjoy some Chinese Food. I split Nachos and Fries with my friend and we had corn on the cob.

It was like, because I was at the Big E, I didn't want to eat what I normally did, but enjoy myself a little, you know?

But that puts me in such a bad mindset because I know I ate bad, and it just gets me out of my mode and then I feel down about myself.

I guess it's a vicious cycle and I am trying really hard to keep going, even when I feel like giving up sometimes.
  • avril2626
    avril2626 Posts: 699 Member
    Ashley,
    We do sometimes fail at trying to become healthier, and I used to be in the cycle of needing to get psyched, or waiting to be ready for a "diet". In the meantime, I would usually overeat more than normal, because I knew I would be "depriving" myself when I actually "started". Mfp does allow you to have some things that you crave, within reason, so this is working for me, and so many others. I spent so many years wanting to lose just 60 pounds or less. I wish that I had made this a lifestyle, as I am now, when I was your age. In reality, unless and until you get really into major amounts of exercise, it takes about as much time to be healthy as not, if you consider the time that you spend being unhappy with yourself, etc. You can do this with minimal, but regular exercise, until you feel you have more time, or want to do more. 1/2 hour a day makes a big difference, and you can often fit that in as a substitution for other activities, or in conjunction with them. The key really is to plan ahead, and prepare meals, and have food on hand that makes you happy, satisfies you, and keeps you at your goals. It becomes a lifestyle, and you keep doing this at maintenance as well. Make sure you are getting your protein, and even fats, as both help you stay full, and we need them for losing fat, and not lean body mass. You will get so much more happiness than grief if you just put one foot in front of the other and carry on with this, even when you have slipped. Log your bad days too. No one is judging you. It's about you being real with you ;)
    The holidays will come...spring will come, and then summer, whether you commit to taking care of you or not. If you do this, you WILL lose weight, be healthier, and be happier with yourself... every step of the way. Also, you are young, and your skin will shrink, and you will not face physical problems from carrying that extra weight for years. Lots of us didn't do this at your age, though I will take any side effect of losing...any day.
    Go read success stories if you are feeling discouraged. There are sooo many people overcoming more than us, and losing more weight than we have to lose. If you go through the steps here, you've got this. It's just math, hon. Good luck to you ;)
  • I am in a similar boat. I rationalize my food choices all the time. I did good on a test, so lets go out to eat, etc. But over the last 5 weeks or so, my husband and I have made a huge change in cooking dinner 6-7 nights a week. What helps me is one of my biggest obstacles to cooking was cleaning up afterwards and my husband and I made the deal that I would cook and he would clean up and that makes me feel all the more willing to cook!.

I am a nurse and work 3 12-13 hours shifts each week and at first, I was like I refuse to cook dinner on nights I worked because I worked all day and that did not work well. But when I started actually losing weight and realize this is working and I feel guilty if I do not cook or if I want to eat badly. I am using this guilt as a motivator to stick with it! I want this and honestly, going this strong for 5 weeks may be one of the longest periods of times that I have actually stuck to a healthier way of eating and living and it makes it easier doing it as a family! My goal is to remember, slow and steady wins the race :)
  • Hey! I really understand where you are coming from. A year ago I had a personal trainer, and lost about 40 pounds and then I went away for school and while I was able to continue with my healthy routine for a while I ended up becoming depressed and eating all my weight back. Food is also my comfort in stressful and anxiety filled times. I found myself sitting through eating a whole cake one time before even realizing and then feeling even more depressed afterwards. Losing weight is hard and I think that we all end up getting the blues and feeling discouraged some times. I find that once you get into a stalemate with weight loss it is discouraging and you just feel like giving up. You just need to push through it! I've only been using this website for a week now, but I find that it really helps with motivation, especially because of the people on here. If you want to add me as a friend I am always available for some encouragement, support and a talk if your having a bad day! (and that goes to anyone that wants to add me).

Stay in there girl, you've come this far, we all get discouraged, just try and push through it and eventually you will get out of this funk :happy:
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    My advice would be simply keep tracking everything you eat. I think when people commit to the tracking they tend to get back to healthy eating sooner rather than later just because when you track you can't hide from your bad choices. Hang in there and good luck.

Thank you so much everyone for your comments. I am taking everything that you guys are saying to heart.

I have been using the my fitness pal app and I have been tracking what I have been eating, but I seem to be tracking it when I think I am under the 1200 calorie limit that I have. When I know I have gone over with the food that I ate, I don't put it in and then I don't do it for a couple of days because of that and then I lose track.

I was bloated before when I had my period and now I am off it. I think, especially with the Big E, you just smell all the food around you and they had a Subway there, but I get that so much during a normal week, that I wanted to enjoy some Chinese Food. I split Nachos and Fries with my friend and we had corn on the cob.

It was like, because I was at the Big E, I didn't want to eat what I normally did, but enjoy myself a little, you know?

But that puts me in such a bad mindset because I know I ate bad, and it just gets me out of my mode and then I feel down about myself.

I guess it's a vicious cycle and I am trying really hard to keep going, even when I feel like giving up sometimes.

1200 limit? Are you trying to lose 2+ lbs per week? Setting a slower weight loss goal will give you more calories, be more sustainable, and reduce the risk of burnout. Better to get there slower than never get there at all.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Hello.

My name is Ashley, I am 27, female, 5'7, I weight currently 200 pounds and this is my second attempt at losing weight.

I guess I should tell you a little about myself.

About a year ago, I was on track for losing weight. I got down to 195 pounds when for a very long time, I have been over 200 pounds. Both my mom and I were losing weight together and we were on track and both making progress.

Then tragedy hit.

Our 10 month year old poodle was run over by a school bus and the weight loss went down the drain. I went from 195 to my highest weight that I have ever been which was 220 pounds. I was so depressed that food became my escape and it made me feel better. So I ate until I reached 220 pounds and it wasn't until about 2 months ago where I could not take it anymore. I was starting to fit into XXL clothes and it really started to scare me because I have always been bigger, but never that big.

So I took control and I started to workout more and eat better and I lost 20 pounds because of it.

However, I find myself writing this after eating 4 rolls of Sushi, chocolate, and I just polished off 2 Apple Ales. Yesterday I went to the BIG E and I walked for 8 hours, but still didn't eat as healthy.

I am starting to feel more bloated and heavier and I am afraid that I may have gained a pound or two.

During the summer it was easy. I didn't have anything else in my life that I needed to do and I could concentrate on losing the weight. Now that school has started, working out and eating healthy is becoming harder and harder and I don't seem to know why.

I don't know if its my mindset that I lost weight, so I can indulge more now or that my metabolism is higher, so I can eat more or what, but I know that I feel bigger and I am not liking the direction I am going.

I know that its only a pound or two and its something I can burn off and keep going with my goal, but for some reason, I almost feel like giving up because I gained weight.

I want to keep going and lose at least 30 more pounds, but it's become harder and harder and my eating is not as great.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I hoped that talking about it would help me in someway.

Anyways, again, my name is Ashley and thank you for reading.

Hi Ashley - thanks for sharing.

Its a lifestyle change that hopefully will be permanent and doesnt have a finite end.

Food is fuel. Try to take the emotion out of it, but just be consistent about logging until you get to where you want to go.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but life is hard & we can rationalize anything we want to. That isnt a judgement of you AT ALL. We are ALL guilty of it, me included.

At the end of the day, we are the sum total of the choices we make - good, bad or indifferent......so, you have to ask yourself what your goal is that will make you happy & that you can maintain. Its a marathon not a sprint. I lost 38 in 4 months, but gained 8 this week.? Why? Becuase my dad flew into town for Grandparents Day and stayed 4 days. We ate out every meal & he paid. He almost died during open heart surgery six months ago, so I had to weigh my goals versus the quality of time I was having this week, and how lucky I was that he was here.

The point being? I gained & the world went on, and I was ok with that. And I know what I need to do to get back on the horse, which is why I went for a walk at 5am.

At the end of the day? Dont give up. Dont ever give up. Remember you are human, **** happens, and we all go through the ups and downs of this.

You got this...if you'd like support, send me an FR and you can hop on my train :)

Fsunami
  • danielleespin
    danielleespin Posts: 508 Member
    Hi,
    I've never been a really big person myself - but I've always been bigger than my friends and getting an office job and being in a comfortable relationship I allowed 10kgs (Unsure what this is in pounds) to pile on and I was so unhappy with myself!
    I found for me, the best motivation was watching youtube videos of people who have done it. Watching one or two or finding a favourite one and rewatching it in the morning or at night whenever I needed 'reminding.'
    Joining or liking health or fitness, or womens motivation facebook pages that everyday show a photo or a motivational picture just to REMIND you why you're doing it. FOR YOU. To be healthy and HAPPY. That's my driving force. I want to live the life I WANT. Honestly, watching other people and seeing how far they have come is AWESOME for motivation. If they've done it, why can't I? :) I'm positive YOU can do it too :) Stick to it! Download some motivation music, or listen to motivational speeches for success etc, it really does help. BELIEVE in yourself :) You CAN do it.
  • cinde2014
    cinde2014 Posts: 47 Member
    Hey Ashley. Hang in there. You really sound depressed. Me, I know how you feel. I recently lost my doggie of 18 yrs. her name was prissy. I miss her so much. She was a very old dear friend. She loved me to death, and I her. Anyways I'm here for you. Make a friend request of me. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I know how to accept one though lol. Make yourself a priority. That's what my new goal in life is. So far it's working. Feeling great. U stay up k
  • gem_192
    gem_192 Posts: 20 Member
    Hey Ashley,

Maybe if you try upping your calories for a little while by setting your goal to losing one pound per week then you would find it easier to stay on plan - you could fit in more food when you're out and about but would still be losing and therefore stay in the "mode" you talked about.

Losing two or more pounds per week is great but for most people with busy lives is too hard and creates a pattern of yo-yo-ing, where they are really good and eat 1200 or under calories per day for a while, lose a bit of weight, but easily come off plan because they are depriving themselves and then gain it all back plus a little more.

Good luck with everything and I'm so sorry about your little doggy.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Remember that weight loss really happens in the kitchen - you can't out exercise a bad diet.

Don't look at this as a DIEt - think of it as a lifestyle and living a long and healthy life.