planters fasciitis

Options
2»

Replies

• TriciaCate
    TriciaCate Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone! I'm amazed at your responses and care... There is so much here - some I'm trying - some I will try.

I have pretty high arches - but kind of know the culprit of it all... Trainer was having me do one leg balancing on BOSU - and other one legged balancing combos with weights. I had no problem - but couple days later wore flat, semi-supportive, dress shoes - all day long (not the norm for me) - and then woke up next morning with planters fasciitis in left foot. Live and Learn - the hard way!

Thanks again for all your help and support - you are awesome!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you really have it, beyond a potential self-diagnoses that is incorrect, Dr should have given several things to do.

Rest is the main thing.

It's a main tendon in the foot, used with every single step.

To back off to allow it to heal - stop doing whatever you can that puts a load on it, and do all the things that will allow it to heal.

As to still walking daily - that's where the custom orthotics comes in, to provide relief there.

If you don't let it heal - you can drag out the repair for years and years. And end up with a jacked up tendon even if it does manage to heal. Always prone to easy injury again.

Once I put orthotics in every shoe I wore (or swapped them around), and laid off the exercise that stressed it, it took almost a year to get over it.
    Doing it the other method like you asked about, on and off injury for 10 years with attempted exercise in there.

Guess which would have been smarter in the long run?

I forgot to add, being in a diet will make recovery take longer too.

Recovery from everything takes long in a diet, exercise too.

And, just as your body has a hard time building now muscle mass while in a diet, if your body needs to add new fibers to this tendon as part of recovery, it'll be painfully slow in a diet.

Whatever plan of action you take, the smallest deficit will make it go faster.
  • annadjanssen
    annadjanssen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Plantar fasciitis is actually small tearing in the fascia (connective tissue) on the sole of the foot. It is linked to overuse, being overweight, an tight/short Achilles' tendon. The key to being pain free is to protect it from continuos tearing. When you get up in the morning be sure to slowly stretch you ankles/feet before you stand up. During the night the fascia cools and "hardens". Stretching before using your feet will help warm it up. Wear proper shoes, see a podiatrist to see if you need orthotics, massage you feet, wear shoes all the time( even in the house), take antiinflamitories to help with the pain. Look up Achilles stretches and do those regularly. Also, the elliptical will probably be less painfull then the treadmill :)
  • hippalottame
    Options
    My flares usually need anti-inflammatories. They can inject or treat with steroids if it's really awful. Comes and goes if you wait it out. Pool aerobics are great for issues like this on the bad days.
    Discouraging..darn setbacks..sorry u r hurting.
  • marvinq42
    marvinq42 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem as well. During times I 'suffered' with an episode. What gave me relief was rolling the bottom of my feet on a tennis ball or a lacrosse ball.