Motivation Ideas? Please?

Options
I feel like I keep whining on here :ohwell: but I desperately need a kick up the backside!

I have long term goals of course, but my current short-term goal is to lose 10lbs by the start of November, when I'm going on holiday.

Well the start of November is getting closer and closer, and I haven't weighed myself today but I know I haven't lost - if anything I'll have gained.

What can I doooo? I know what I can do in terms of eating/exercise but what can I do to give myself a good kick in the right direction?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself... record the number than then move on...

you cant change the past, but you can log your cals, stick to your goals and do some exercise this week!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Find an exercise that you LOVE. I read on here where someone is running so many miles and they will add- "I hate running." That will never last. Find something you really love and better yet find something you love to do with a friend who also loves to do. You will have more fun, be accountable to someone because you won't want to let them down and you will feel better.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Do you think if I had a week of just eating at maintenance - then 5 weeks where I eat less/move more so I'm burning 1000 calories a day - would that be a good idea or a bad one??? I don't know if having a break would then make me feel better or if it would just tip me totally off the wagon.

I love going to the gym and weightlifting, I go in my break at work, but I work around a lot so I'm not always in the same town as my gym!
  • jamesdavidy
    Options
    Hi Nicola, Watch and listen to this and YOU WILL BE MOTIVATED!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQupiauyZYE

All the best

James
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Do you think if I had a week of just eating at maintenance - then 5 weeks where I eat less/move more so I'm burning 1000 calories a day - would that be a good idea or a bad one??? I don't know if having a break would then make me feel better or if it would just tip me totally off the wagon.

I love going to the gym and weightlifting, I go in my break at work, but I work around a lot so I'm not always in the same town as my gym!

what are your stats? depends on whether you have enough to lose to sustain 1000 cal deficit?
  • nicola8989
    Options
    I have a lot to lose - I weigh 217lb
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I have a lot to lose - I weigh 217lb

so a 1000 cal deficit is reasonable, however given that you're lacking motivation, why make it harder for yourself by putting a massive demand on what you can eat and the exercise you need to do...? why not set MFP to lose 1lb per week, make a commitment to exercise 3 x a week and then anything over that is a bonus...

part of the reason you might be lacking motivation is because you make your goals too restrictive...
  • nicola8989
    Options
    thank you - I think the problem is, up until now (when I know I have a holiday to prep for!) I've been going for the slow and steady approach but I think that makes me feel so super-unmotivated, not seeing any results week after week or just seeing a tiny reduction in the scales is really hard for me!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    thank you - I think the problem is, up until now (when I know I have a holiday to prep for!) I've been going for the slow and steady approach but I think that makes me feel so super-unmotivated, not seeing any results week after week or just seeing a tiny reduction in the scales is really hard for me!

so go balls out for a month, see what happens...
  • nicola8989
    Options

I think that's what I'll try! Thanks xx
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I think that's what I'll try! Thanks xx

just bare in mind, that the most important things you need are consistancy and patience... you're looking for a sustainable heathy lifestyle, thats your end game... which is the problem with balls out... not realistic or sustainable for any length of time!
  • nicola8989
    Options
    my hope is that it would be a "kickstart" that would motivate me into losing more - again I don't know if this would work though!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Weight loss goals have never worked to motivate me. I usually have goals like walk x miles in 30 days or lift x weight doing 10 reps in 2 weeks. One of my newest goals is to leave the house with the sink empty and clean. I hope to make it a habit. Cooking healthy meals is much easier when the sink and counter are clean when you get home.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You may just not be ready to put in the work. You already have a motivator (your vacation) and that's not enough for you. We can't make you do something you clearly don't want to do.