Looking for "clean eaters" with public food diaries!

Options
Hello,

I'm new to MFP but not new to the battle that is weightloss. I'm really trying to make a huge change and want to try to "eat clean". I've read both of Tosca's Eat Clean books and do well for a few weeks but then kind of lose hope because I get bored, or run out of ideas.

Is there anyone out there who has been eating clean for a while that has a public food diary I could look through for ideas? I really want to get my butt into gear and lose this weight once and for all!! (and the other benefits like beautiful skin, hair, nails, and mental clarity is awesome as well :smile: )

TIA

Replies

• cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yep, me! I go for the packaged granola bars, or cereal, or what not on occasion, but barring restaurant food and my daily starbucks fix (which is actually just spiced tea and soy milk) I eat almost entirely clean. You won't believe the change it makes long term. I'm so much more energetic, happy, grateful, slim....and I haven't had a blemish anywhere on my face or body in a year, where I used to get at least one a month! Added bonus! ;-)
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look...
  • katiesummers
    Options
    eat clean? what you mean?
  • LJCDuke11
    LJCDuke11 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Not too sure what the exact definition of "eating clean" is but you can absolutely take a look at mine! :smile:
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I try try try to eat as clean as possible. I'm vegetarian and the majority of my meals are fresh produce.

I did VERY well today so please feel free to take a look!

Sundays are my pizza days, so don't judge me! :drinker:
  • NBFIT
    NBFIT Posts: 79
    Options
    Hi. What exactly do you mean by "eating clean"? I just started MFP last week. Although I try to stay in my calorie range, this time around, I'm more focused on WHAT I eat & getting more exercise. Just because it may be lower in cals doesn't mean it is good for you. And just focusing on staying under that calorie range hasn't worked for me in the past. My main things I've tried to do is go for the good fats vs. bad, steer clear of processed foods & eat more fruits & veggies. I am finding myself running out of ideas for snacks at times. At least ones that are "mentally" fulfilling.

Not sure how to make my food diary public, but I can try. I'd love some other ideas!

4057145.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • HOPEful27
    Options
    Fat_Chopper- Wow! I looked @ your profile & food diary, way to go on the weight loss.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm not a 100% clean eater, but I do pretty well most of the time - I make my own stuff like hummus, yogurt (sometimes), seitan, etc. I don't eat a lot of flour or heavily processed foods (including sugar). My diary's public.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Mine is public to friends, and I do well most of the time.

Send a friend request if you like.
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi. What exactly do you mean by "eating clean"? I just started MFP last week. Although I try to stay in my calorie range, this time around, I'm more focused on WHAT I eat & getting more exercise. Just because it may be lower in cals doesn't mean it is good for you. And just focusing on staying under that calorie range hasn't worked for me in the past. My main things I've tried to do is go for the good fats vs. bad, steer clear of processed foods & eat more fruits & veggies. I am finding myself running out of ideas for snacks at times. At least ones that are "mentally" fulfilling.

Not sure how to make my food diary public, but I can try. I'd love some other ideas!

4057145.png

It sounds like you've got a handle on what eating clean means....you're right when you say that eating low cal processed foods isn't necessarily a successful recipe for health and weight loss. Eating clean basically means this:

If it comes from a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, don't.

;-)

Congrats on your decision to become informed and make changes, you'll be so glad you did! If you need snack ideas, feel free to take a look at my diary.

Boiled eggs, peanut butter, any fruit, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, almond butter, cheese wedges, handful of nuts, small tortilla with any kind of spread or with a little turkey and cheese, smoothies, whole grain crackers....those are just a few of my faves.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Oh and to all the above who are asking "what the heck does that mean?":

"eating clean" means eating foods in the purest forms possible, avoiding processed/package foods in general, avoiding added sugar, and eating whole grains.

Anybody have anything to add to the definition?
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    "eat clean" as in little to no processed foods, sugar intake, sodium intake, etc....
    :happy:
  • LivingFitNC
    LivingFitNC Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty clean and primal/paleo so you're welcome to look at mine. I've been sick the last few days with a stomach virus and was out of town before so today is my first normal day of logging. I make use of the recipe calculator a lot for my homemade meals like bolognese and curried squash soups as I don't do processed/pre-packaged foods. I even make my own protein larabars.
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Mostly clean...
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks a lot~! I'm planning on going through diaries in more detail tonight to get more ideas, but some of your diaries aren't public! :)

Hoping to report a clear idea of what's ahead in the next few weeks and some decent results! :)

Thanks again!
  • Janelle3927
    Options

4057145.png

same here, I just started and am mostly just eating "normally and staying in my calorie range and exercising more. Mines open if you want to look..i think u have to go to setting or something i forgot how i did it
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    I've found that the Moosewood cook book and the Enchanted Broccoli Forest, both by Molly Katzen, have really helped me to eat cleaner. There are so many great (vegetarian!) recipes for things that you normally buy processed at the store that you can make at home with fresh fruits, veggies, grains, and dairy (some are completely vegan too!). soups, breads, deserts, casseroles, pasta dishes, salads. Pretty much anything! I'm no way a perfect clean eater but I try a new recipe from her books about once a week and have enjoyed ALL of them and have learned so much more about cooking, what goes together, and how to make the most out of fresh ingredients. Seriously check them out! They will change your outlook on food!
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty clean and primal/paleo so you're welcome to look at mine. I've been sick the last few days with a stomach virus and was out of town before so today is my first normal day of logging. I make use of the recipe calculator a lot for my homemade meals like bolognese and curried squash soups as I don't do processed/pre-packaged foods. I even make my own protein larabars.

i'm dying to make my own larabars! i love them! how do you make yours?
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    It makes a big difference if you're willing to look into why you eat a food. Clean eating is simple whole food, no processed man made food in a package.

Start with what you already like that is real food and see what you're lacking and start adding into your food diary what makes you whole and healthy.

I stick w/a Mediterranean diet, healthiest in all of the world. Least amount of disease and they live the longest there. It's taken almost 2 years and we have it down pretty good. I'm still trying to balance myself out. Seeing that I eat too much vit A, from yellow fruits & veggies. So looking at my diary wouldn't help you right now since I'm trying to not eat foods rich with Vit A for 1-4 weeks to get it out of my system. Then it'll be back to spinach, broccoli, papaya & carrots in moderation.

I like this site for nutritional values:
    http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

breakfast:
    Normally, I start my day with 1/2 cup of fresh papaya,

and pretty much I eat 1/2 a cup of homemade porridge of wheat berry & oat groats made in the crock pot with whole milk and water, served with 2 oz. homemade natural yogurt, a tbs of ground flaxseed, & 1 tbs local raw honey,

twice a week I may have 2 small almond pancakes from almond flour that I make after making almond milk that I made for coffee. and I'll eat one whole egg over easy w/1 tsp-1 tbs of raw honey on my hot cakes.

I also enjoy a green juice with cucumber, parsley, celery, broccoli, red pepper, carrot, & apple...I will have to occasionally leave out the carrot depending on what I'm eating that day because 1 carrot is enough vit A for the day.

I also take 2 tbs of brewer's yeast...I don't care for the taste so I fill gel caps with the amount.

snacks:
    3 whole blanched almonds & 1 dark piece of chocolate(when I get to my goal weight, I can increase my almonds to 24)

smoothy:
    1/2 cup homemade natural yogurt
    1/2 cup fresh frozen blueberried
    1/2 cup fresh frozen raspberries
    1/2 cup fresh frozen blackberies mixed w/strawberries
    2 tbs local raw honey
    blend...YUM! all of it is good for you (and for those gals pron to yeast infections say bye bye!)

lunch:
    a green salad from the garden, tomatoes, a couple of sardines, 1 oz fresh feta goat cheese, 1/2 avocado, 1 tbs balsamic vinegar.

dinner:
    2x a week I make grilled mahi mahi. I rub extra virgin olive oil on the filete before grilling. We have it with a basil butter.
    1/2 cup brown or wild rice.

once a week we eat a hearty lentil soup and I'll make another kind of chicken or black bean soup or soup with beans. All our beans I make from dry. Add garlic/onion/or fresh slices of ginger root to get rid of gas!

another snack:
    pesto and fresh pita bread from wheat berries that I grind
    also good with homemade chick pea hummus and I make the tahini sauce from scratch
    also a good snack is toasting almonds for some fresh almond butter.

Other dinner ideas:
    marinade chicken breasts in a olive oil/balsamic vinaigrette marinade.
    chicken Shawarma sandwiches
    great with fresh whole wheat pitas!
    I make my own whole wheat pasta & spaghetti & marinara sauce.
    A favorite at my house is homemade pizza. I make a double pita bead recipe for two large cookie sheets of pizza, cover with homemade marinara sauce w/or w/out chicken. Fresh mozzarella cheese, fresh grated parmesan cheese, and goat cheese...top with fresh red pepper, mushrooms, or egg plant if you like. IF you don't want the bread, use egg plant instead.

Don't forgot to have beef once a month. Looking forward to a fillet mignon this month:)

Instead of mayo, which I make, I prefer avocado

If you eat it, figure out how to make it! have fun! This is a great and wonderful adventure!

I think that about covers it...I'm sure I left something out.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm a mostly clean eater, feel free to look at my diary. Also look up TheGraciousPantry, she's on here and actually runs a clean eating blog by the same name with LOTS of recipes. Good luck :)