Keto people, what kind or beer brands are "ok" to have?

Options
I enjoy 3-4 beer bottles every other weekend or so. Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    probably none, failing that Coors light is lowish in carbs, there might be others with "Ultra" in their name, I can't remember. In the UK there's Marston's Resolution.
  • CheeeekyChap
    CheeeekyChap Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    None really.

Beer is practically the worst thing for low carb :/

And one of my major loves, especially real beer from micro breweries!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    If you are keto, then alcohol should be a no-no until you are ready to pull yourself out of ketosis.

Fat burning stops when you drink alcohol because the body burns off the alcohol first.
  • FatAsianNerd
    FatAsianNerd Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    None really.

Beer is practically the worst thing for low carb :/

And one of my major loves, especially real beer from micro breweries!

yeah, I miss it. the lowest carb beer I found was michelob ultra but that stuff tastes like water.
  • FatAsianNerd
    FatAsianNerd Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    If you are keto, then alcohol should be a no-no until you are ready to pull yourself out of ketosis.

Fat burning stops when you drink alcohol because the body burns off the alcohol first.

I'm fine with it as long as it only takes like 2-3 days to get back into keto.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

I'm fine with it as long as it only takes like 2-3 days to get back into keto.

Then don't worry about the carb content and enjoy your beer every other weekend!
  • CarveH20
    Options
    sadly, no beer allowed
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Sorry, no, fat burning does NOT stop if you drink alcohol. Only time fat burning may stop is when the body is at a caloric surplus, and even then often not.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no, fat burning does NOT stop if you drink alcohol. Only time fat burning may stop is when the body is at a caloric surplus, and even then often not.

"When alcohol is ingested it promotes rapid
    hepatic oxidation and a consequent suppression of the oxidation
    of the other macronutrients, particularly fat "

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/67/3/535S.full.pdf+html

As one would expect for something toxic with no storage capacity.

"Alcohol addition (A) or isoenergetic substitu-
    tion (S) caused fat retention by significantly suppressing its ox-
    idation when the alcohol was actively metabolized(0-6
    h)"

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/59/3/619.full.pdf
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Michelob Ultra has 2.6g carbs per bottle, according to the nutrition facts. Miller Lite has 3.2g. A couple of those during an otherwise high fat relatively low carb day shouldn't throw you.
  • beepaz
    beepaz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Michelob Ultra has 2.6g carbs per bottle, according to the nutrition facts. Miller Lite has 3.2g. A couple of those during an otherwise high fat relatively low carb day shouldn't throw you.

YESS best one for low carb! :drinker: i like michelob but sadly not available at a lot of bars and restaurants
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

h)"

That is not consistent with the original claim. Would you like to clarify what, specifically, is being claimed?
  • denisegresham1
    denisegresham1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    there are a few very low carb beers. I drink a Michelobe ultra on weekends once in a while, just figure that into my carb count.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    If you're committing to keto, ftdp and stick to keto.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    So Michelob Ultra---. label 2.6 grams of carbs and 0.6 of Protein = 3.2 X 4=12.8 calories. Yet the label says 95 calories. Do people even read labels?

I wonder if I had 3-4 of this type of beer if the carbs might be higher since they are showing 95 calories per bottle. Hmmmmm. . . . . .
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think keto and beer do well as mixed company...
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    ^^agreed^^ I like beer too much. . . .
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Low carb beer is pretty much an oxymoron. Part of the beer-making process is balancing the fermentable vs nonfermentable sugars in malting and mashing.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, in moderation (being 2-3 only) has not thrown me out of ketosis, even when I've gone over my calories for the day. However, if I go above that 3 drink point, I struggle with not eating carbs either during the drinking or the next day. So I try not to drink at all while aiming for ketosis and saving those indulgences for real occasions! It's worth it in the long run for me.

However, your preference is probably different, so enjoy what makes you happy and don't sweat it too much! Experience is going to tell you over time what and how many best works for you personally.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

h)"

That is not consistent with the original claim. Would you like to clarify what, specifically, is being claimed?

Basically the study found that alcohol and carbohydrates did the same thing when ingested.