L-Citrulline/ Citrulline Malate on Low Carb?

Options
I'm on a low carb/high fat/protein diet, so far in around 2 weeks I've lost 6.6kg. I'm also combining this diet with "Bulletproof" or upgraded coffee(Butter, MCT and coconut oil) and intermittent fasting.

My primary goal at this point is to lose weight, my scales tell me that as I lose weight my body fat percentage has dropped significantly. I am not actively "working out". I'm taking a really good multivitamin supplement and fibre supplements.

I'm wondering ( as I have a unopened tub of it hanging around) if L-Citrulline/ Malate will help, I know people use it primarily for heavy sets or reps which I will not be doing.

Has anyone on a low carb diet used it? Does it help? Do I need to go to a gym?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Fat loss comes from a calorie deficit. Supplements fill in a part of your diet that is lacking. L-citruline/malate will not accelerate any fat loss (some articles suggest it helps with muscle soreness though). Also, while a scale is one indicator and wouldn't get too caught up in the body composition numbers. Many bioimpadence machines are really inaccurate.
  • CheeeekyChap
    CheeeekyChap Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey, thank you for your reply :)

I'm definatey not at a calorie deficit............ The opposite in fact, half a bar of butter goes in my morning coffee alone. Guessing the 18 hours of not eating between maybe helping? I know what you mean about scales although mine must just be really inaccurate..... in my favour, consistently ;)

But I do get your point, there are so many variables, even down to wether you use them with wet or dry feet... So I just try to keep my weigh in's as consistant as possible,I'm "empty" in every sense, dry feet, same time of day and at least 2 days apart.

I think maybe I'll leave the L-citruline/malate on the side until I'm ready to build some mass, unless anyone else has actually used it and had a decent result on a high fat diet.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Hey, thank you for your reply :)

I'm definatey not at a calorie deficit............ The opposite in fact, half a bar of butter goes in my morning coffee alone. Guessing the 18 hours of not eating between maybe helping? I know what you mean about scales although mine must just be really inaccurate..... in my favour, consistently ;)

But I do get your point, there are so many variables, even down to wether you use them with wet or dry feet... So I just try to keep my weigh in's as consistant as possible,I'm "empty" in every sense, dry feet, same time of day and at least 2 days apart.

I think maybe I'll leave the L-citruline/malate on the side until I'm ready to build some mass, unless anyone else has actually used it and had a decent result on a high fat diet.

Your first posts says you have lost 6.6kg and then this post you say you are not at a calorie deficit. Impossible!!!!

As to your original post, daily vitamins are the only supplement you may need. Some recommend vitamin d and fish oil for the omega 3 but that depends on the individual.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    chkn.gif
  • CheeeekyChap
    Options
    Not impossible, I'm glucose deficient. The lack of carbohydatres makes my body burn fat to release glucose to fuel my brain.

The process of doing this burns a lot of calories, I can't count those, all I can say is I am eating around 2500- 3000 calories of mainly fat and some protein per day.

I'm not looking to argue with anyone, your all welcome to your opinions but I'm looking for some advice on Cirtrulline Malate, not human biochemistry.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Not impossible, I'm glucose deficient. The lack of carbohydatres makes my body burn fat to release glucose to fuel my brain.

The process of doing this burns a lot of calories, I can't count those, all I can say is I am eating around 2500- 3000 calories of mainly fat and some protein per day.

I'm not looking to argue with anyone, your all welcome to your opinions but I'm looking for some advice on Cirtrulline Malate, not human biochemistry.

specialsnowflake_zpsd81fed4f.jpg
  • CheeeekyChap
    Options
    chkn.gif

I'm not as new to this as I might appear mate.I'm looking for answers not intimidation or bullying, or arguing....
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Don't forget us peons when you are a billionaire from being able to defy science!
  • CheeeekyChap
    Options
    I've made a mistake, I'm wrong, apologies.

What I meant to say was I am not cutting calories or watching what I eat. I seem to have got my wires crossed about the deficit.

It makes sense that I have to be burning more to lose, or I'd be putting it on.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    This is a bit off topic, but I'm very curious about this butter in your coffee thing. I've been seeing a lot of people doing that as of late and I don't get it. What is the purpose? Not trying to be argumentative, am genuinely curious.
  • CheeeekyChap
    Options
    This is a bit off topic, but I'm very curious about this butter in your coffee thing. I've been seeing a lot of people doing that as of late and I don't get it. What is the purpose? Not trying to be argumentative, am genuinely curious.

Hey :)

No worries, I think a lot of people are using it, along with Medium Chain Triglycerides ( MCT oil) to help raise their metabolism ( debated), to help them feel full in the morning, and because it tastes good. I add organic coconut oil to mine as well.

The taste isn't as bad as it sounds, and it seems to be the first thing that has shifted some very stubborn fat off me.
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I haven't used citrulline on my low carb diet, but I do drink protein shakes. Protein is a metabolism booster and can help you lose weight, plus it makes you feel full. My shake contains 30g of protein and 4 total carbohydrates (1g sugar, 2g fiber). As long as your protein source doesn't contain significant amounts of sugar, go for it.
  • jyatzy1234
    Options
    bro you are totally wrong even if ur eating no carbs and in a calorie surplus you will gain fat protein can even be turned to fat same with the fat you over eat
  • jyatzy1234
    Options
    mct give u fast acting energy as when ur in keto u burn ketones and fat is a ketone
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    As to the L-Citrulline...
    http://examine.com/supplements/Citrulline/

"L-Citrulline is used as a sports performance and cardiovascular health supplement. L-Citrulline supplementation results in reduced fatigue and improved endurance for both aerobic and anaerobic prolonged exercise. There is not enough evidence to support the claim that L-citrulline supplementation improves power output during exercise.

Supplementing L-citrulline also increases ornithine and arginine plasma content. This means L-citrulline supplementation improves the ammonia recycling process and nitric oxide metabolism. L-citrulline is also used to alleviate erectile dysfunction caused by high blood pressure.

After supplementation, L-citrulline is converted into arginine in the kidneys. Supplemental L-arginine provides a spike of L-arginine in plasma, while supplemental L-citrulline increases arginine plasma levels over a longer period of time.

L-arginine and L-ornithine are subject to reduced absorption when supplemented in doses of 10g or more, which can result in diarrhea. L-Citrulline does not have this side-effect, and since it increases plasma levels of all three amino acids, it is generally preferred as a supplement over L-arginine. Though L-citrulline doubles ornithine plasma content, L-ornithine supplementation can increase ornithine plasma content even more, by 300 – 500 percent."
  • CheeeekyChap
    Options
    As to the L-Citrulline...
    L-citrulline is also used to alleviate erectile dysfunction caused by high blood pressure.

Is it? Haha, what an awful side effect. Guess it dilates something.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

No worries, I think a lot of people are using it, along with Medium Chain Triglycerides ( MCT oil) to help raise their metabolism ( debated), to help them feel full in the morning, and because it tastes good. I add organic coconut oil to mine as well.

The taste isn't as bad as it sounds, and it seems to be the first thing that has shifted some very stubborn fat off me.
    Yeah, the bullet proof coffee thing has been thoroughly debunked by actual science. It does not fuel your metabolism nearly to the rate at which it costs. IE any added calories burned from drinking it are far less then the drink itself contains...
  • CheeeekyChap
    Options

Yeah, the bullet proof coffee thing has been thoroughly debunked by actual science. It does not fuel your metabolism nearly to the rate at which it costs. IE any added calories burned from drinking it are far less then the drink itself contains...

Can you post some links please? I'd be interested?
  • Vexxe
    Vexxe Posts: 24 Member
    Options

If you're on keto you'll get a benefit from it. What we currently understand about Medium Chain Triglycerides is that they skip the primary fat metabolism pathways and are shunted straight into the liver to create ketones. This in the short term boosts energy levels but the increased ketone production is only temporary. MCTs are referred to as exogenous ketones. These specific ketones are healthy for the body and very good for the brain.

Coffee with butter and MCT oil is a very decent breakfast. You get your fat macros from the butter mainly as the oil is treated differently by the body. Tastes great and is a great way to start the day with the much needed energy boost from the MCT's.

As for the Calorie stuff, I'm in the same boat. I eat around or above my maintenance amount and I've been losing weight at around 4lbs a week. A calorie isn't just a calorie which is become more and more apparent with the Energy Balance Consortium research that is currently going on. There is a reason why ketogenic diets are more successful in the long run than calorie restriction. If you can stick to it, you will lose weight quicker due to what you are eating, not how much you are eating.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options

If you're on keto you'll get a benefit from it. What we currently understand about Medium Chain Triglycerides is that they skip the primary fat metabolism pathways and are shunted straight into the liver to create ketones. This in the short term boosts energy levels but the increased ketone production is only temporary. MCTs are referred to as exogenous ketones. These specific ketones are healthy for the body and very good for the brain.

Coffee with butter and MCT oil is a very decent breakfast. You get your fat macros from the butter mainly as the oil is treated differently by the body. Tastes great and is a great way to start the day with the much needed energy boost from the MCT's.

As for the Calorie stuff, I'm in the same boat. I eat around or above my maintenance amount and I've been losing weight at around 4lbs a week. A calorie isn't just a calorie which is become more and more apparent with the Energy Balance Consortium research that is currently going on. There is a reason why ketogenic diets are more successful in the long run than calorie restriction. If you can stick to it, you will lose weight quicker due to what you are eating, not how much you are eating.

Think about what you are saying. By definition alone, maintenance calories are the level of intake it takes to maintain. So if you are losing weight, you are NOT eating above that level. What it means, your maintenance are higher than you think. It is possible that your calculations are purely wrong of what you think your maintenance calories are. But it's utter nonsense to think you can eat above your maintenance and think you can lose.

The second highlighted is not true and Keto does not provide quicker fat loss than other diets. It might provide quicker weight loss the few weeks but that is because you deplete glycogen/water weight. But in the end, you still have to eat 3500 calories less than you burn to lose a lb of fat. But if if you can provide a study I would lose to see how keto is the best. In fact, I would challenge you with stating the best diet is the one you can adhere to.

Short - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16685046

Long - http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/5/1055.long