I don't know where to begin!!!

Options
Hi everyone!!! I am pretty new to this site although I registered awhile ago! I have always had plans to start losing weight but just never accomplished my goals. Well, now I am at my highest weight 190lbs I am only 5'3. I have had extreme self confidence issues recently and it has caused extreme moments of depression. I would even go so far as saying a form of manic depression. A year ago I was prescribed to adderall and I thought that all my problems would be solved. I had friends that started and and lost extreme amounts of weight. It did not take me long to learn that all the negative side effects of adderall do not begin to make up for all the other side effects. I became a different person and finally forced myself off of it. I want to be healthy!!! I just have such a lack of motivation and have no idea where to begin. That has always been my biggest problem. I do not have a lot of extra funds and do not have the money to go out and pay for a gym membership or for any of the expensive health foods that many suggest. I just want to know if anyone has any suggestions for a good place to start!!!

Replies

• lily_may95
    Options
    Hey,
    Firstly, I suggest adding people on here as friends, it means that losing weight can be that little bit more motivating.
    Secondly, I suggest investing in a fitbit, they are $99US and are completely worth it. They completely track your exercise, calories burnt, sleep patterns etc. to give you goals and show you how you are going approaching them. What's even better is that you can sync it with MFP so that your calorie intake is monitored too, making you able to set realistic and achievable goals.
    I am only starting on this today, but I have been on it for about a year or so. I personally have depression too and I'm sick of being in such a rut lately and just feeling all around crap, so I think it's time for me to fix up my life. If you want to be friends on this, feel free to add me :)
  • kpolkadotz
    Options
    I have seen those around but honestly did not fully understand what all they did. They definitely sound like they are worth the investment. I really appreciate you introducing yourself. I know that one of my biggest downfalls is not being able to stay motivated so this time I am trying to reach out to people so that I have some sort of accountability.
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I started by limiting the amount of things I ate and the alcohol I consumed. I portioned out my food, stopped drinking multiple drinks on certain days and incorporated a little bit more movement into my daily routine. I don't have a gym membership nor will I ever have one but I do get a lot of miles done in a day when I work and also recently started to run around my neighborhood. Having friends who support you and the changes you want to make in your life will be one of the best things to have. Feel free to add me for support!
  • Weightlosstips
    Weightlosstips Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi kpolkadotz,
    You did not mention your eating habits but you might want to start there. Eliminate all processed and diet foods & eat only real food including fruits and veggies. Start an exercise regimen eg. walking. Gradually increase this as you get fitter. Drink water with a lemon squeezed in it, first thing as you get up, every day. This will kick start your digestive system and improve your health. Of course, drink as much water as you can throughout the day. Good luck. Blessings
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hi

The best place to begin is at the beginning.

All you have to do is lose 1 pound 77 times. Not 77 pounds, all at once.

That kick to get it done comes from inside....

The fact you are reaching out and being honest about your struggle is a sign of growth and progress, for which you should be commended. Take comfort in that.

The difference between MFP and everything else? If you adopt the mindset that its a lifestyle change & not a diet, the rest will fall into place.

The past is done. The future will be here soon enough. Try and focus on today & today only. Its all we have to work with.

4.5 months ago, I weighed 312 pounds. I woulda been dead in 5 years if I hadn't made this commitment. All signs were pointing that way.

Just a few things the MFP tribe and common sense has taught me:

1) This is a thing you DO, not a definition of who you ARE. Just like laundry. Take the emotion out of it wherever possible. I cannot stress this enough.

2) My approach? This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. So there is no finite number of days that I am trying to get to. I will be logging in and logging food for the rest of my life, because:

a) This program works
    b) I don't want to die young and I was headed that direction

3) Try to remember - We are the results of the choices we make every day, whether those choices are good or bad. Make as many good choices as you can, and the ship will stay steady. At the end of the day, we are the man in the mirror. We are accountable to ourselves and no one else. We can help you with getting there, but the doing is up to you. Leave rationalizing at the door, and continue to be honest with yourself. Its the only path to long term success

Cal tracking is considered a good choice (whether boring or not) because it tells you where you really are (just like your check register tells you your balance) - remember to be honest with yourself all the time. Ultimately, you will achieve that which you are seeking much sooner.

Knowing that plus the support I get from my MFP buds make enough difference that Ive lost 30 in 132 days without doing anything stupid. You just find what works and then hammer the crap out of it, staying in the present while doing so.

If you will stay committed to this, your MFP tribe will commit to helping. Why? Because that's what we do. And we have ALL been there.

FR on the way.

Fsunami
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    You do not need a gym membership .. though I have one and love it.

But ... the best thing (which is also free) ... walking. It is super for losing weight and getting fit and many people think that they have to run/ work out at a gym etc to make a difference. But that is not true at all.

Oh .. and buy a food scale. Best investment for your journey. Also .. very very cheap but not quite free typically.

You also do not need a Fitbit .. waste of money. I imagine you have a smartphone by your age. Just get a free pedometer app .. there are a ton of them and does much the same as that $100 Fitbit.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you! Maybe the county or city you live in has free counseling they can provide you to support you emotionally before trying to tackle the weight issue. If not, maybe you'll find some good advise here on the boards.

Congratulations for getting off adderall. It's dangerous if you don't have ADD and especially dangerous if you think you might have manic depression/bipolar disorder. You are so smart to away from prescription meds until you see a good doctor.

I can't advise you, but I can tell you my story and tell you what worked for me. I've been a compulsive over-eater since I was a child. I'm now 54, and though I've learned a lot, I still slip up and have a bad day/week/year. I've discovered that if I stay away from sugar, my eating compulsions cease. If my diet is higher in protein and lower in carbs, I feel motivated, focused and in charge of myself. If I eat empty carbs, or even too many healthy carbs, I feel depressed, needlessly restless, and I feel like hiding from everyone. I just want to be alone and try to medicate myself with food.

Many people claim that when you diet, you should allow yourself an occasional treat, but for me, the occasional treat just leads to binging.

I hope you're able to find the answers you need. Good luck to you.
  • kpolkadotz
    Options
    I am truly overwhelmed. The last time I tried to use this site I never even thought to use the forums. I am beyond inspired and I have been on here for less than an hour. You all are truly amazing people and I am so excited about starting my weight loss journey. In all the time I have had weight loss issues I have never felt more welcomed. I am pretty sure this website is going to become my life beside my work and school schedule. I thought I was ready and that is why I logged in, but after your responses I know I am. I literally just walked out into the kitchen and thought.... okay I am starting tomorrow what do I want to eat before this all begins... but instead I looked around and it all kind of made me disgusted... so I grabbed a bottle of water. Gotta start somewhere :)
  • Fsunami
    Options
    You do not need a gym membership .. though I have one and love it.

But ... the best thing (which is also free) ... walking. It is super for losing weight and getting fit and many people think that they have to run/ work out at a gym etc to make a difference. But that is not true at all.

Oh .. and buy a food scale. Best investment for your journey. Also .. very very cheap but not quite free typically.

You also do not need a Fitbit .. waste of money. I imagine you have a smartphone by your age. Just get a free pedometer app .. there are a ton of them and does much the same as that $100 Fitbit.

Dude, thanks. How the hell did I forget about the food scale. Invested in one two weeks into this, cost about 430 and changed the way I see food. Because the porttion control aspect is critical & I was surprised at how bad my eyeballing was....thanks again for pointing that out...

Fsunami
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Firstly some links to get you started on getting the most out of mfp...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069278-acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Specifically how to set your calorie and macro goals...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

I highly recommend you commence some sort of strength/resistance training as this will help you maintain sweet LBM

Some body weight routines if you can't afford to go to the gym such as You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning etc there are plenty of programs on the internet and YouTube available for free.

You could invest in some Dumbbells and do this program...

Barbell routines - when you only have dumbbells

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells

Lastly try to find an exercise program that you will enjoy therefore adhere to.
  • Fsunami
    Options
    Sorry, meant $30, not 430.....:)
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say that I used to take fen-phen diet pills before it was taken off the market. Eating the way I eat now feels the same as fen-phen used to feel, without the dry mouth, sweats and heart palpitations.

On a 1200 calorie day, I shoot for 80 grams protein and about 130 grams carbs (no flour, sugar, pasta, white bread, etc.) and 40 + grams healthy fat from avocados, olives, nuts, coconut.

The first week eating this way is horribly hard - I'm not going to lie. I get head aches, extreme hunger pangs, and the anxiety is intense. The next week is easier. Now, seven weeks in, I can think about what used to be my favorite foods and not get any cravings for them. Also, I'm rarely hungry.

I'm not saying this is the answer for you - just giving you something to consider.
  • Bex2BeSlim
    Options
    I started by limiting the amount of things I ate and the alcohol I consumed. I portioned out my food, stopped drinking multiple drinks on certain days and incorporated a little bit more movement into my daily routine. I don't have a gym membership nor will I ever have one but I do get a lot of miles done in a day when I work and also recently started to run around my neighborhood. Having friends who support you and the changes you want to make in your life will be one of the best things to have. Feel free to add me for support!

Can't say it any better myself, feel free to add me too. There are 14 full weeks left in 2014, and there are 14lbs in a st... seems apt :)
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Don't need fancy equipment to lose weight or healthy food stuffs. It's all calories in vs. calories out. Eat at a deficit and you will lose weight. If you are using MFP to calculate calories burn it does over estimate. I've read that a lot of people only eat about half back. Also, invest in a food scale, huge life changer. But as mentioned in previous posts, you don't need a gym membership. You could pick up jogging or look up some at home routines. There are ways. Good luck!
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    It is all quite easy to get started. Just punch your stats into MFP and eat what it tells you to eat. Record and weigh everything you put in your mouth add your exercise calories and you are away. Just eat less than you burn and the weight will come off.

If you want things to be a bit more accurate go to the scooby site for working out your BMR and TDEE. That way you know what amount of calories you should be eating. TDEE is you maintenance level so eat under that and you will lose weight. Nothing complicated about it at all. You do not need tablets or special foods. Eat whatever you like but within your calories allowed.

Also send out friend requests to whoever you think can help you most or who you think has most in common with you. That way you can support someone and they can support you.

Most importantly if you haven't got started yet, start now. The first step is the most important.

Good luck

edited to say you do not need a gym. Look on youtube for thousands of free exercises you can do at home. Fitness blender have some great ones. Walking exercises at home include Leslie Sansone or Jessica Smith. Or you could buy some weights and do any amount of exercises that youtube has to offer. All of these will get you started.
  • KelseyBee2014
    KelseyBee2014 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have a good head on your shoulders...you just need some help with starting. Feel free to friend me :) I've been here for three months and have lost just under 27 pounds. I've learned a lot and will share anything I've learned with you. It just takes a lot of hard work and dedication... but you can do it!
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    As others have said you don't need to spend money on a gym. Walking, jogging, etc are all free and great ways to exercise. I would also add that some strength training would be good, you don't need to go out and buy weights either (you can use items you find around the house, such as cans of soup, jugs of laundry detergent etc). The one thing I would recommend that you should buy when you are able is a food scale, it helps you get a very accurate portion. If you can afford one now, work on saving for one and measure out your portions using measuring cups (this can vary drastically depending on if you pack the cups or not) but it is better than nothing. Feel free to add me as a friend if you wish
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    No need for a gym. Just get out and start walking as far as you can in 30 minutes. Track what you eat. Good Luck on your journey.

29509743.png
  • LanceDuvall
    LanceDuvall Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    God gave you 2 feet start moving them slowly and then increase the speed and then keep increasing the distance...."Run Forest Run"........get two empty gallon containers and then google....Kettle Bell workouts.............and lastly stop with the excuses......and stop lying to yourself.....
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options

All you have to do is lose 1 pound 77 times. Not 77 pounds, all at once.

Awesome way to look at it...doesnt make it seem so unsurmountable now!!!