Who is your support?

Options
In real life, my boyfriend is my greatest support giver.

He's amazing. As soon as I finally had the guts to tell him that I was trying to lose weight and live healthier, he immediately got on my bandwagon. Did anyone else have a tough time telling their significant other?

He's always been supportive of my vegetarian lifestyle (he himself is not) even going as far as eating Boca Burgers or Tofu scramble with me!

However, these past two weeks he's gone on walk/runs with me (which isn't hard for him, he's a former track star), has had even healthier food with me, and even done some yoga!

He has no need to lose weight himself, he's always been healthy but it means the world to me that he works out with me. =]

This is a picture of us yesterday, he always takes silly pictures (please forgive my messy bed!):

Photoon2011-01-25at18572.jpg

So, who's your support person?

Replies

• sexylonglegs
    Options
    I have friends, family and this board! :drinker:
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My oldest Son, MFP friends, my wife, sorta.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My husband and my two children, love them :love:
  • mjanet
    mjanet Posts: 54
    Options
    My support is my husband! So great, last night I had no intention of working out, so he just pushed me and he's like my personal trainer. (he himself is very atheltic). And let's not forget all the wonderful ppl of MFP!
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    How I envy you. I have no support from my other half. He eats at night, buys stuff I don;t want in the house and just generally every time I say about losing weight and eating properly, he says he has lost weight anyway. So the only support I have is my 7 year old daughter who is generally aware of what is healthy and what is not. But I obviously don't want to burden her with the whole "I need to lose weight" as she is only small, but it's nice that I don't have to explain why I don't want to have a bit of her chocolate or ice cream. :smile:
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My Hubby... We both want to do this because we deserve to healthy and hot and all kinda yummy. My MFP Peeps... Because you will never find so many like-mind spirits around. When your people IRL try and bring you down, they are the sunshine of my day!
  • urnewbuddee
    urnewbuddee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is also my best supporter. I am pescatarian (formerly vegetarian, formerly vegan) and have finally found the most comfortable and healthiest way to eat for my body through pescatarianism. My boyfriend is a big meat eater and loves pulled pork and hot wings, but he is always up for eating anything vegan or vegetarian I cook and always wants to try new foods. He goes on walks with me and the dogs and has offered to exercise with me when I move back into my mom's house this weekend. Without him, I think this whole weight loss journey would be so much more difficult.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I don't have any.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    My mom and my husband. :)
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    My boyfriend is very good at supporting me as far as food goes. He eats whatever I cook and doesn't fuss when I try new, healthier recipes and they are terrible. :blushing: He doesn't mind not having junk food in the house, as long as he has chocolate chip cookes, which thankfully, are not a temptation for me. He doesn't say a word about the fact that we have not been to his favorite sports bar, where they have the best cheeseburgers and jalapeno poppers, in 6 months - just too much temptation for me.

But you can forget about him exercising with me. He just walks by the room when I'm on the treadmill or elliptical and waves.

I also get the most support, inspiration and understanding from a friend Carol, who is one of my fitness pals. I am so thankful to have met her and we are going through this lifestyle change together.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I joined a gym together 2 weeks ago, and together lost 14 lbs (combined) already!
    we both got to comfortable together i think, and now we are gonna look great together.
    he saw how sad i was when i had yo-yoed for so long, and finally he said he would do it with me.
    i used to be much smaller before i started dating him, (2yrs ago) but i also was very unhappy... and in and out of hosipitals...
    now we are loosing weight the HEALTHY way :D
    i was so shocked when he said he would join this site with me, let alone give up french fries, icecream, regular soda etc.

ps i LOVE boca burgers. i would eat them over meat anyday and i am no longer a vegan :]
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'm conceited enough to truly believe that I am my biggest support system. I went through a lot in life where I was the only one I could rely on, and I got through more than enough events that would normally mentally scar and traumatize others.

But specifically with weight loss, other than myself, I'd have to say my brother might be the best "support" that I have. I use the term loosely because we're constantly competing with one another. At our relative heaviest weights, he was 235 and I was at 303, we started working out initially for different reasons. His was for his gf. Mine was because I just had been diagnosed with diabetes and literally almost died from diabetic coma.

Long story short, I told him that I bet I could catch up to him AND hit my goal weight before he did, and of course being a 70+ pound weight difference, he just laughed and said, "Sure. What's your goal weight?" And since May 2010 we've been doing what we could to motivate and annoy each other into working out.

As of now, less than a year later, I clocked in this morning at 177.4.

My brother clocked in at 183.6.

My first goal weight was 185. Now I'm going for his. 165. Got 'eem!
  • lamindel
    Options
    that is wonderful that is he supporting you!!! it is so much harder to diet and stick to something when there is nobody by your side encouraging you to keep on going! my sister and brother-in-law joined this site about 3 weeks ago and a week into it my sister convinced me to join!

i've always been overweight and have had a reallllly hard time sticking with any diet... i've tried anorexia, weight watchers, smaller portions, etc. and finally i'm seeing healthy weight loss! then a few days after i joined, i went to dinner with a friend and was telling her it was my day off from my diet, etc. and i learned that she saw that i liked "myfitnesspal" on facebook and she had joined as well!!! she has become my workout buddy - we do zumba on the wii almost every single day! she holds me accountable and it is great!!! plus... my mom and dad joined as well, so if i go home on weekends (i'm a senior in college) they will be there to support me as well!!!

keep up the good work :))
  • daisy89
    daisy89 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't have any.

Well, you definitely have me now. =]

Don't feel alone, you've got all of MFP to support you.
  • Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    Awww you two are cute! Its nice having someone who cares abut you and about your health as well :)
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    My missus and kids. They are the drive.
    The people on MFP , we are all going on the same journey, they feel the pain and frustration I do.
  • meredith414
    Options
    No one supports me losing weight!