More Macro Confusion

Hi all. I am very new to food journaling and I am SOOOOO confused about macros. I am losing weight but I never come even remotely close to meeting the macros suggested by MFP. I eat a lot of fat. Some days, my little pie chart is over 50% fat. I am always quite a bit under on my carbs, percentage wise. So here are my three questions:
1. Is it more important to meet your macros in terms of grams or percentages?
2. Should I try to meet macros even if it means exceeding calorie budget?
3. Will failing to eat the appropriate macros hinder my success?

My diary is open so feel free to look. It isn't always pretty, but it is always honest. And yes, I know I need a food scale. Thanks!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Calories are what matter for weight loss. Assuming no medical conditions, accurate logging etc. then you'll lose weight as long as your calories are in the right range.

Macros help for things like overall health, hunger, body composition, gym performance, etc.

You can set your macros up and follow them however you want based on your own personal goals. Personally, I treat my fat and protein goals as minimums to hit rather than maximums to stay below. You may have to play around a little to find what works best for you.
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Protein must be consumed, but fat and carbs are pretty much interchangable based on your own personal preference. I eat similarly to you when I'm losing weight, because fat is filling and it makes me eat less when I limit carbs. In contrast, many people who are trying to gain weight and are struggling to get the calories in will have extremely high carbs, because they aren't nearly as filling and provide the calories necessary. IMO, if you prefer eating more fat, go for it. Don't worry about hitting your carb needs, they aren't "necessary".
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Try not to complicate this. Get calories down and use protein and fats as a minimum. BTW, your diary is password protected
  • markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Macros are important, but it's more important to stay in your calorie range. As you start to eat healthier you'll adapt to your macros and start to fit them. As has been said you might need to play around a bit before you get it locked in. For losing weight you want to try to keep your macros around 40-50% protein, 30-40% carbs, and 20% fat. Those macros will get you the best results.
  • psuLemon
    Macros are important, but it's more important to stay in your calorie range. As you start to eat healthier you'll adapt to your macros and start to fit them. As has been said you might need to play around a bit before you get it locked in. For losing weight you want to try to keep your macros around 40-50% protein, 30-40% carbs, and 20% fat. Those macros will get you the best results.

Again, this is false. I don't know why you continue to promote these generic percentages. While in a deficit, plenty of studies suggest that you can help maintain lean body mass if you eat .8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. Eating 2g or 50% of your diet from protein will not increase fat loss.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I do 0.8g per pound of lean body mass for protein. 0.3g per pound of total body mass for fat. These are minimums. I am then free to fill the rest of my calories as I please, either with carbs or more fat and protein.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Unlikely.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member

Unlikely.

Why is that? I'm just curious...my macros are a little messy but I'm losing at a steady rate.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    50% protein?! That's a program asking for failure since, well, you'd be eating a whole chicken and it's family every day. I struggle getting in 35% each day, couldn't imagine 50%
  • psuLemon

Unlikely.

Why is that? I'm just curious...my macros are a little messy but I'm losing at a steady rate.

macros don't determine weight loss, calories do. CICO controls weight loss, macros control satiety, muscle retention, vitamin absorption, exercise performance, overall health and etc...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Unlikely.

The blanket statement of 'these best macros will get you the best results' is fundamentally flawed.

They have not accounted for the OPs circumstances at all. Calorie levels, BF%, activity levels, size of deficit, energy levels and personal preference, for example, will mean that there is 99% chance that it is NOT the best macros for someone else.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    The overall calories consumed is most important for weight loss. Each person needs a minimum of each macro for the body to function but the percentage distribution is more individual. The percentages default can be adjusted depending on health issues, lifestyle, personal preference and fitness goals. For example, most runners up their carb intake before a marathon and serious lifters take in more protein than average. There also is the issue of maintaining a diet that you can stick without feeling deprived or overly hungry. I do find, among my friends anyway, that some can't stick to a diet if it is too low in fat and others can't go too low with carbs or protein. The one thing we all have in common is needing a calorie deficit.

If you are losing weight, have good energy and strength gains, your skin and hair look healthy, etc and you aren't wanting to rip anyone's head off, chances are the macros are o.k.
  • sqveeze
    sqveeze Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you for your responses. I understand how macros work a bit better now. I am still tweaking my routine and appreciate your input.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    1. Is it more important to meet your macros in terms of grams or percentages?
    Grams. If you hit the gram targets for each macronutrient, the percentages will line up too. The reason is because 1 gram of protein is 4 calories, 1 gram of carbohydrates is also 4 calories, and 1 gram of fat is 9 calories. When you know the grams of each macronutrient you've consumed, you can figure out your total calories for the day, and the percentage of that total that each macronutrient contributes.

2. Should I try to meet macros even if it means exceeding calorie budget?
    It depends on your goals but in most cases, no. Most people are here to lose weight, and you can't do that if you go over that budget. Staying within your calories is the first priority, and then you focus on how you split those calories up. Generally, set protein to a certain amount and use the rule of thumb of 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. Fill in the rest of your calories as you so choose with fat and carbohydrates. Recall, 1 gram of carbohydrates is 4 calories, and 1 gram of fat is 9 calories.

3. Will failing to eat the appropriate macros hinder my success?
    Possibly, but probably not too much. I am an advanced weight lifter, and my performance and recovery will suffer if I'm not careful with my carbohydrates and protein, respectively. If you need to have a certain performance level then you need to be a bit more precise with how you split your calorie budget among the macros than if you just want to lose weight. If you just want to lose weight, don't stress too much with how precise you are each day so long as you're under your calorie limit. Don't stress over being a few grams over/under with each category.

Another note: MFP has user-entered data, so the calories aren't always right. Using the information I gave you, you can see where your calories really are provided the grams of each macro are accurately accounted for. Take protein and carbohydrate grams and multiply those each by 4, and multiply fat grams by 9. Add these three products and you'll get your calories. Don't be surprised if it's a few hundred calories different from what MFP says.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    It might be a good idea to contact an admin in the ETP group and have your Macros properly assessed for results best suited to you. I think both Sara and Sidesteel do them. This way you can answer questions unique to you. Good Luck.