Running NSV(s)!

Options
Hi there! First off, this is my first time posting in the form. I came across MFP a few weeks back and have started to use it more and more frequently. I LOVE the diary feature, and I'm trying to get more and more consistent in that. Over the past few weeks, I'm down 5 pounds! Very excited.

ANYWAYS.

I've been training myself to become more of a runner, and I have a blast doing it. After not going for too long, these past few weeks have been a bit brutal to get my stamina back. However, this past weekend I hit two of my NSVs!

1. I ran my first ever 8 minute mile. I can't even believe it.

2. I ran 3 miles in less than 30 minutes (29:08, to be exact!). Different run than my 8 minute mile, but typically I've been averaging about 10:15 miles on my longer runs. This one was about a 9:45 mile!

Any other runners out there? My next goals are upping my mileage to be able to manage a 10k, doing a 5k in 27:30, and getting my mile time even faster (7 minutes???)

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I am really excited for you! I love running but I don't worry about the times, the miles, whatever. I just run. Unless I'm training someone then I worry about all the other stuff.

Specifically,
    1. An eight minute mile is amazing for a new runner. Keep working on those Fartleks and short bursts of speed (or whatever you're doing).

2. Don't you love it when a plan comes together! Three under thirty is fabuloso!! So long as you are happy running and setting reasonable goals (looks like you are) it's so much easier to stick with it.

I've been running for about 30 years. I've had to start over a few times depending on where life has taken me but I always do. I don't worry about times or anything, just popping on some shoes and heading out for happiness and meditation.

Congrats!!!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • musiclvr1991
    musiclvr1991 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I wouldn't say I'm completely new to running, but I often start it up for a couple months and then stop. This time, I'm in it for the long haul, though :) My ULTIMATE goal would be a half marathon, though that's a bit scary at the moment :noway:
  • leslisa
    Options
    I don't do organized races unless they are "fun runs". They stress me out too much. My top mileage is about 8 miles.
  • AShannon54
    AShannon54 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I hadn't run in about 10 years and a couple of months ago I started (and completed) C2K5. I have come to really enjoy my running days and look forward to them (versus dreading them).

I am not as advanced as you but I have done two 5K races now and have another one this Sunday. My goal is to be at 30 minutes but my last run I only hit 32.5. I am getting closer though! I am now able to run up to 5 miles at once now, about 11 minutes per mile on that one.

An unexpected side affect of the running is now I have inspired other people to get started as well. I have a co-worker and my husband doing C25K now! I love it!
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Good numbers. My first official 5K was 29:02.4. You beat me!
  • fitfatty88
    fitfatty88 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    That's so excellent! I know a half marathon seems daunting but you should totally do it! There are so SO many good training programs out there (most are 12 week, but I've seen 16 up to 24 week trainings!). One of my friends convinced me to sign up for one for May 2014 and I told myself if I didn't do it then, I would always have an excuse to put it off. I didn't have a great run time but at 288 lbs at the time, I was happy I even FINISHED. I thought I would be the only plus size person there and everyone else would be a professional runner and I was soooo wrong. People of all ages and fitness levels were there and it was a great experience. So much so, that I'm running my second one this Saturday and have already signed up for a third for next May.

If you would have told me in college that I would be a half marathoner I'd have laughed off my couch. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you just try...even if you have to walk part of it, you'd have still done something that most people wouldn't even dream of doing. :smile:
  • hrayala
    hrayala Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that's so exciting! I would like to run but am very new to it so I decided to try the couch to 5K and I'm in week 3 of that and it's going great. I'm looking forward to my first real 5K!!
  • carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Awesome times! I started C25K a little over 2 years ago and am training for my 3rd half right now. My next running goal is faster short distances! Maybe I will aim for an 8 minute mile ;)
  • musiclvr1991
    musiclvr1991 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Awesome times! I started C25K a little over 2 years ago and am training for my 3rd half right now. My next running goal is faster short distances! Maybe I will aim for an 8 minute mile ;)

Did you ever have a time where you felt like you're hitting a wall? I've run once past my usual 3/3.5 miles, but most of the time, I seem to get stuck.

To everyone else, thanks all for the encouragement! I'd love to meet and give/receive support to/from other runners, no matter where you're at! Feel free to friend me.
  • leslisa
    Options
    I tell new runners to "connect the dots". So if you know you are only going to make 3.5 running, then run about 2.25 out and when you hit 3.5 and you need to walk, walk for a set time or to a set landmark. When you hit the landmark/time, start running again. If you have to stop again, that's perfectly OK! As you decrease the walk time and increase the run time you'll find that eventually the entire distance will be run.

Best of luck!
  • carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Did you ever have a time where you felt like you're hitting a wall? I've run once past my usual 3/3.5 miles, but most of the time, I seem to get stuck.

To everyone else, thanks all for the encouragement! I'd love to meet and give/receive support to/from other runners, no matter where you're at! Feel free to friend me.

There have been a few points where getting past a certain mileage has been hard. What I have found works best for me is doing 2 short(er) runs during the week and one long run on the weekend. I am not always trying to add distance or set a new long run. This allows my legs to recover and rest between long distances and works best with my schedule. Right now I do one 2 mile and one 3 mile run during the week and then push for a long run on the weekends. I would play around with distances some - do some speed work on a shorter run, play with inclines if you do the treadmill and then try to push the distance a few days later. Also, signing up for races and giving myself both a goal and a deadline encourages me. Happy running!
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Dang these short legs of mine! Took me 2 months to be able to run three miles - two years ago. Now I can run 2.5... Working on it! UGH but your times... AWESOME! It took me 6 months to get to 3 in 30. Sigh. I'm blaming that time thing on my short legs. :laugh: Starting over this time... but dang it I will get back to that 3 in 30 and hope to do 6 in 60... Congrats on your NSV!
  • ThatDoll
    ThatDoll Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running but after trying and sticking to it, I'm getting better ????????.
    I started out (4 weeks ago) "running" a 15 min mile and now I'm at 10:58 ????. i didn't think I could do it but I did!
    I'm hoping I can do a 10 minute mile in 2 weeks ♡
    I'm doing 2.3 miles in 30mins (since I take walking breaks after reaching that first mile)
    My overall goal is to run 3 miles in 30-40mins
  • texasfarmer
    texasfarmer Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Amazing what we can do when we set our mind to it.

I am 50 years old and started running 7 months ago (last time I ran was 25 years ago). I have been running for 7 months and just completed my first 1/2 marathon. I ran every step and completed it in 2:40. Your time is coming!!!!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I love running, but I've had enough injuries doing it that my main exercise these days is cycling. When I was young, my running injuries were usually from running too far, too fast, too soon. One was due to a clueless pedestrian stepping right in front of me when I was running on the lake shore in Chicago. Now that I'm in my 40s, my injuries are more due to accumulated damage, including a bike crash a couple years ago that injured my right knee.

My advice: take it easy and listen to your body. I loved running so much that I overdid it. Do as I say, and not as I did. If you reach a point where things suddenly get a lot more difficult, that might be a sign of overtraining or incipient injury. I'm not saying that you should stop there and not make any more progress; rather, you should ease off for a week or two, to recover, and then tackle the challenge when you're refreshed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!